Strange question: can we disembark two days early?

chelseabelsea

We are currently booked on an 18 day cruise- for family reasons, prefer to leave the ship two days/two ports prior to the “official” cruise termination. Has anyone done this before with O? Do they charge any kind of surcharge for this? Thanks!

We are sailing on an itinerary that ends in Bangkok, then overnights there.  We plan on disembarking the first of the 2 days we'll be in that port (due to flight arrangements).  Our TA had to get permission from Oceania to leave 1 day early...we have it in writing.

I know of 1 couple who tried for permission to disembark a few days early and were  denied (due to that port being a tendered port).

There was no extra charge for us leaving early.

It's definitely something that needs advance planning and permission.  In some cases there may be legal restrictions.  Cruises can get caught up in old laws (in various countries) that were designed around ships as transportation (rather than entertainment) that restrict them from carrying passengers from point to point.  It can also be the case that a port stop wasn't set up expecting actual entry (rather than day-trip) for customs/immigration.

Edited by curmudgeon98
clarify

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Other issue is that Oceania's record of missing ports due to weather, maintenance issues or whatever is one of the higher ones in the cruise industry. 

I'm curious about and interested in your statement.  Other than hearsay, do you have any data to support it?

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'm curious about and interested in your statement.  Other than hearsay, do you have any data to support it?

Posted below is my comment to a recent discussion. It relates to my  experience

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2904891-thoughts-on-the-larger-vs-smaller-ship-experience/?do=findComment&comment=64598436

20 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Another reason to not being able to disembark in a port is if that port does not have or can not get immigration and customs officials available to disembark passengers. Generally this happens in smaller ports that do not generally embark or disembark passengers. And yes, I know this for an absolute fact 😉.   Not matter where or when someone wants to disembark ( and also embark as happened to someone my recent Sea Dream cruise) the cruise line must  be notified and grant permission and it should be writing.

We disembarked a day early when our flight home to DC was canceled (Cathay Pacific, 2020) and rescheduling was very hard.  We did get permission from Oceania pre-cruise, confirmed arrangements on the ship, and on last day did a face to face immigration check on the ship before departing. No fee or issue.