Reporting from on the Rotterdam January 14 through February 25

iflyrc5

I would point out something about the stuff (like trays, scooters, wheelchairs) being left in the hallways that is often overlooked. The hallways are designed a certain way with fire safety in mind.  The width of the hallway is a critical issue that keeps the passengers flowing in the event that an evacuation is needed. 

Imagine what would happen if the power was out and the only lights in the hall were the floor mounted emergency lights, the hallway is full of smoke and panicking passengers and we run into a scooter left outside someone's room.  A S-T-A-M-P-E-D-E is what would happen, just like we read about from time to time when people get crushed to death.  So, next time you see someone parking something in the hallway SAY SOMETHING to guest services and insist it is removed promptly. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, westcoastcruiser said:

We spoke to the hostess.  Of course, we do our part and make sure we are there prompt,y.  Also if we have specialty dining, we let her know ahead of time so our table will be released.

Is Genesis still the hostess?

Please say hi from me. Anneke Prins.

She is swesome!

7 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Do you have any idea about the number of Covid cases that have been reported?

That has never been reported on any of the several cruises we have been on since the restart.  Asking and we don't get an answer.

We had about 450 guest stay on today for the Turnaround day in FLL.  One couple showed up over 30 minutes late to the World Stage for the meetup to go through CBP which then held up the process for everyone.   We finished the 11 day Eastern Caribbean and now on to the 10 day Southern Caribbean.

Here is the daily program for Thursday Jan 26

DSCN4172.JPG

DSCN4173.JPG

• Like 2

We joined the Rotterdam yesterday and will say the embarkation process was quite smooth.

A couple of notes.  There were barely any bar menus in any bar (we found partial menus in 2 bars and we checked them all) and they had trouble finding a wine list in the main dining room.  It turns out that many of the prices went up and everything was being reprinted.  We had two instances were bar staff commented on the how much some things increased.  Senior beverage staff were assembling the new wine lists in the dining room as we exited.

We also tried to upgrade from the signature to the elite and the policy has again changed.  No way to upgrade on the ship.  The new policy is that you can pay for anything over $11 instead.  They are also wanting signatures for drinks even on the package though enforcement is spotty.  With a full ship and several purchases a day from each customer I can't imagine trying to find a paper copy later even if they are saved.  If they want a copy they need to move electronic.

Looking forward to HMC

Thanks @ksmaxey.  The Rotterdam and some of the other ships started the signing for drinks/Dive In last November 2022 as well as the new policy to pay only the drink price above $11 overage and 18% gratuity on the overage. I have expressed my dislike for the ridiculous receipt signing policy to HAL and here on CC but nothing has changed!!  What a waste of everyone's time to keep track of thousands of tiny pieces of paper!

Anyway, thanks for reporting the drink price increases and have a great cruise.

~Nancy

Thanks for creating this thread.  We will be boarding on the 4th.

I heard from some friends who recently disembarked that you got a new captain on this sailing.  I am looking forward to hearing of about any changes you may notice with the new captain ( and other staff…is the cruise director the same.)

I don’t want to touch the same pen that others use for signing checks.  Seems very unsanitary.  I’m going to see if I can refuse signing, if not, I’ll have to carry my own pen.  

We got CO for the cabin upgrade.  My friends said skip the MDR and eat in CO every night.  I hate to wait for a table and like having the same waiter.  Thoughts?

Looking forward to a child free Seaview pool and relaxing in the warm sun.

4 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

We joined the Rotterdam yesterday and will say the embarkation process was quite smooth.

A couple of notes.  There were barely any bar menus in any bar (we found partial menus in 2 bars and we checked them all) and they had trouble finding a wine list in the main dining room.  It turns out that many of the prices went up and everything was being reprinted.  We had two instances were bar staff commented on the how much some things increased.  Senior beverage staff were assembling the new wine lists in the dining room as we exited.

We also tried to upgrade from the signature to the elite and the policy has again changed.  No way to upgrade on the ship.  The new policy is that you can pay for anything over $11 instead.  They are also wanting signatures for drinks even on the package though enforcement is spotty.  With a full ship and several purchases a day from each customer I can't imagine trying to find a paper copy later even if they are saved.  If they want a copy they need to move electronic.

Looking forward to HMC

Now that's kinda BS, they got so many people to sign up for the have it all package,  and then they are raising the drink prices - hope they don't try to pull most pricing over $11 so then we have to pay for our drinks.  The drinks I wanted (smoothies, Margaritas, were all around $10).   Keep us posted, on what pricing you do find/hear about.

13 minutes ago, Zanne208 said:

hope they don't try to pull most pricing over $11 so then we have to pay for our drinks.

My understanding is you will only pay the difference.  If you get drink that is $12, you will owe $1 plus the 18 cent gratuity.

Oh, ok - neither my sister nor I could ever hit the 15 min between (coffee, bottled water, smoothies, drinks, so it was a hard decision to go with the Have it All pkg.  I misunderstood, I was under the impression that it wasn't the difference that they charged you, but the whole drink.  Lol, that's what I get when I'm supposed to be working😁

9 hours ago, 0106 said:

I heard from some friends who recently disembarked that you got a new captain on this sailing.  I am looking forward to hearing of about any changes you may notice with the new captain ( and other staff…is the cruise director the same.)

I don’t want to touch the same pen that others use for signing checks.  Seems very unsanitary.  I’m going to see if I can refuse signing, if not, I’ll have to carry my own pen.  

We got CO for the cabin upgrade.  My friends said skip the MDR and eat in CO every night.  I hate to wait for a table and like having the same waiter.  Thoughts?

Captain Timmers is the new Captain and we sailed with him on the Volendam for the Grand South America in early 2020.  He is very good and funny at times.  The CD and Hotel manager did not change.   We have not had the Club Orange and it does look nice but the chairs don't look very comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2023 at 7:55 PM, iflyrc5 said:

I  can't spell the CDs name but she is Dutch and I have not had her before.  Also, not very visible around the ship.  Only saw her introducing the shows unlike Erin on the NA who was always out and about engaging with guests.

You can see the trivia listed on the daily programs I have been posting 

Her name is Karlijn Verpalen - pronounced Car-line Vur-Paah-lun 😉 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 0106 said:

I don’t like community pens either.  When I was on the koningsdam I told them I wouldn’t be signing it.  It didn’t seem to be an issue on that ship.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Anyone on the current sailing should check their statement for erroneous charges.  Even though you had the drink package, many people were still getting charged for drinks 

I have been keeping an eye on our statement and today there were two dining room charges.  The dirst was for fresh squeezed oj that is part of thr HIA package. Csecond charge was for a $1.18 overage on a Cosmopolitan that I never ordered or received.  

Tonight was dressy night and the dining room on 2 was in disarray.  New hostess, lines wrapped around a corner and down a hallway.  Drinks ordered and not received.  But food was good, servers were doing their best and we still enjoyed the evening.

In talking to one of the waiters today I found out that yes there is at least some Covid cases on the ship.   Also the crew members are tested every 6 days.   So my guess is that probably one or more of the cabins in our hall with dishes outside the door are crew members that have tested positive.

Here is the daily program for Friday, Jan 27 - Grand Turk.

DSCN4198.JPG

DSCN4199.JPG

• Like 1

When we went to leave Grand Turk this afternoon at 5pm one of the dock line workers noticed a long black rope coming out from under the ship near the port Azi Pod.  They pulled on the rope and about 20 feet come out with a frayed end and it appeared that it had wrapped around the propeller on the pod,  One of the local life guards did a quick look free dive and found there was still a piece of rope around the prop.  They called in a local diver to free the line and by 9 pm we are on our way to Amber Cove.  Since it is a short distance we should be able to make up the time and arrive as scheduled tomorrow morning at 0800.

There was mention of drink prices going up.  Attached are photos of the drink menu that was at the lido pool this afternoon.  I don't know the old price so can't comment on how much they have changed

Also attached is the daily program for Saturday, Jan 27

20230127_161917.jpg

20230127_161929.jpg

20230127_161940.jpg

20230127_161949.jpg

DSCN4226.JPG

DSCN4227.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

When we went to leave Grand Turk this afternoon at 5pm one of the dock line workers noticed a long black rope coming out from under the ship near the port Azi Pod.  They pulled on the rope and about 20 feet come out with a frayed end and it appeared that it had wrapped around the propeller on the pod,  One of the local life guards did a quick look free dive and found there was still a piece of rope around the prop.  They called in a local diver to free the line and by 9 pm we are on our way to Amber Cove.  Since it is a short distance we should be able to make up the time and arrive as scheduled tomorrow morning at 0800.

There was mention of drink prices going up.  Attached are photos of the drink menu that was at the lido pool this afternoon.  I don't know the old price so can't comment on how much they have changed

Also attached is the daily program for Saturday, Jan 27

20230127_161917.jpg

20230127_161929.jpg

20230127_161940.jpg

20230127_161949.jpg

DSCN4226.JPG

DSCN4227.JPG

@iflyrc5- thank you for posting the drink prices!!! Selfish I am, but Margaritas & Smoothies are still under $11 - guess I better go get packed 😁