Cancellations in South America ??

Reina del Mar

Our 18 night trip to Brazil, Argentina, and Peru was canceled by ………….Travel on Friday.  We were due to leave January 26.  We had the option of just doing Brazil and Argentina for 10 days but Peru was out.  Must be bad down there.  

Copied this from a post on Cruise Critic. Does anyone have information about South American cruises being cancelled or ports subject to change, please ??/

Yes, I think it is bad now in Peru. We went in 2021. The day we went to the main government square in lima there were lots of police in riot gear. We didn’t feel safe and were happy to move back to the tourist areas.

Edited by sanger727

57 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, I think it is bad now in Peru. We went in 2021. The day we went to the main government square in lima there were lots of police in riot gear. We didn’t feel safe and were happy to move back to the tourist areas.

Not long ago, there were some tourists who were basically trapped at Machu Picchu. The transportation from the Machu Picchu area to the regular cities was shut down due to strikes and civil unrest, and things got rather tense for a while.  Some of the tourists were running out of medicine, as it was not supposed to be a lengthy stay at Machu Picchu.

There was some discussion (I have no idea how serious it was) of sending helicopters to rescue some of them until the regular ground transportation was running again.

It was more dangerous with violence in some of the cities.

Not good.

GC

• 2 weeks later...

There is currently a state of emergency in Peru and tourist attractions including Machu Picchu are now closed indefinitely. The rail tracks have been broken by protestors so the trains up to there are not running. The situation doesn’t seem to be improving with protests now in Lima too. I am due to join an Oceania cruise on 19 March and a 3 night pre cruise tour. I understand from my TA that Oceania are monitoring the situation but hope they make a decision which will give everyone due onboard time to do whatever is necessary which in my case will be changing flights. This is a bucket list trip and flying all that way to miss Machu Picchu will be so disappointing. Got everything crossed at the minute. 

We are due to set sail with Oceana on the Marina leaving on February 27th from Buenos Aires and sailing up to Lima.  We have not heard anything from Oceana as of yet regarding any cancellations.  Perhaps if they monitor this site it would be helpful for them to at least share what they are doing and any plans of re-routing.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:42 AM, TravelTrees said:

We are due to set sail with Oceana on the Marina leaving on February 27th from Buenos Aires and sailing up to Lima.  We have not heard anything from Oceana as of yet regarding any cancellations.  Perhaps if they monitor this site it would be helpful for them to at least share what they are doing and any plans of re-routing.

We love Oceana, except for their communication when things aren’t going well. We are booked on this cruise as well, but experience tells us not to expect any updates until we are onboard. Sad, but true.