Sushi Making Class - Still get to eat what you make?

Could you tell me more about the sushi class?   

My daughter loves sushi but only particular kinds.  So if the class was "We will now all make Eel sushi" she'd be disappointed.  But if they had an array of ingredients, and some recipes, and sushi instruction that would be good.  Actually she doesn't fall far from the tree, I'd happily eat several varieties of just shrimp sushi.  

The last time we did the sushi making class we could eat it at the end and stay in the restaurant as long as we liked to do so but we couldn't take it with us.

We would have liked to have taken some for our son but they were very strict about this and not sure why to be honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

The last time we did the sushi making class we could eat it at the end and stay in the restaurant as long as we liked to do so but we couldn't take it with us.

We would have liked to have taken some for our son but they were very strict about this and not sure why to be honest.

I was told it is because of food safety. The sushi would need to be kept at a minimum temperature that the "cooler" (not fridge) in the room cannot meet so you have no where to store it safely. They don't want to be liable if you get food poisoning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Could you tell me more about the sushi class?   

My daughter loves sushi but only particular kinds.  So if the class was "We will now all make Eel sushi" she'd be disappointed.  But if they had an array of ingredients, and some recipes, and sushi instruction that would be good.  Actually she doesn't fall far from the tree, I'd happily eat several varieties of just shrimp sushi.  

The 2-3 times we've done this we've made rolls with shrimp tempura, a California roll, and I think a tuna roll.  You also tend to make a shrimp or salmon nigiri.  

The picture in my first post is from the actual class. That is what we made one of the times that we took this class, and then we ate it.  🙂

Edited by The Fun Researcher

22 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

The 2-3 times we've done this we've made rolls with shrimp tempura, a California roll, and I think a tuna roll.  You also tend to make a shrimp or salmon nigiri.  

The picture in my first post is from the actual class. That is what we made one of the times that we took this class, and then we ate it.  🙂

That plate looks amazing.  You all did a great job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, graciekelli said:

That plate looks amazing.  You all did a great job.

Thank you! 🥰

6 minutes ago, Valmoisy said:

I just did the sushi making class on the Anthem last week.  We ate what we made and they passed around take-out containers so we could take it with us if we wanted.

That's perfect.  The Anthem is the ship we plan to do this on in a couple of months.  Glad we can still eat the fruits of our labor, and the class is fun regardless.  

They can do a little bit of customization upon request. My DH doesn't eat raw fish, so they provided a few substitutions when we did the class and he was happy. We had to eat what we made there and were not allowed to pack it up to go. One family had the right idea--two of them did the class, and the other two joined them afterwards and sat at a table in the restaurant to polish off all the sushi. It was quite a lot!

1 minute ago, CntPAcruiser said:

They can do a little bit of customization upon request. My DH doesn't eat raw fish, so they provided a few substitutions when we did the class and he was happy. We had to eat what we made there and were not allowed to pack it up to go. One family had the right idea--two of them did the class, and the other two joined them afterwards and sat at a table in the restaurant to polish off all the sushi. It was quite a lot!

Pretty much exactly what we plan to do.  Our son and my mother-in-law are doing the class, and afterward my wife, father-in-law and I plan to join and help eat.  🙂

Dan

I have taken out leftovers from eating at Izumi and you can also get it to go, so at least since the restart I know this has been allowed. 

They tend to run this in the late morning. I recommend eating a very light breakfast because it is a lot and you will want to eat it. It was a fun experience, you have me thinking of doing it again now.

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Those that have taken the class, did you learn enough to be able to make sushi when you got home? 

Yes. Without a doubt. We started making sushi at home often after our first class about 5 to 7 years ago. It’s really not that difficult once you learn some basic steps. 

• Thanks 1