Has the NOISE been so bad in your cabin as to ruin your cruise?

racepoint

I started to ponder this question as I'm reading comments and questions from different threads. Is there really such a bad cabin or deck that you'd strongly recommend someone NOT book due to your extreme annoyance with the noise AT ALL HOURS??

We had a cabin on another line that was below an area in the Lido (buffet dining room) where children's activities were held everyday and into the evening. It was impossible to relax because they were playing games, running, jumping ... the things that kids do. I don't have a problem with children, I just didn't enjoy having a cabin below one of the children's activity areas.

B

Twice -- 10 Day Panama Canal with twin 6 mos. old babies next door, and 7 Day Caribbean under the show lounge. The screaming babies were worse, but I wouldn't recommend any cabin under the dancers at night or during afternoon rehearsals.

Once - yes.

It was an Alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess. I had booked the cabin for a B2B and I had a similiar cabin around the corner on a sister ship with no problems so I didn't anticipate any problems in this location.

It turned out there were 4 cabins across from each other (sorry I don't remember the cabin number but could look it up) that are directly above the band in one of the bars (I think Wheelhouse Lounge but I don't remember) and my room just vibrated from the band's bass and I literally thought I was right in front of the band.

I am an early to bed (around 11 or so) and early riser (around 5 or 6 am) and planned a lot of early excursions in Alaska. The band did not stop playing until 2 am each morning which at most, gave me 3-4 hours of sleep. I complained (along with the other 3 cabins) to the Purser's Desk and they said they were going to speak with the band but it didn't make a difference. They did say that the ship was entirely full - so they couldn't move me. I knew this was correct because I had been offered a free cruise to switch to a different sailing a few days before this cruise. They said if anyone left the ship, I could have their cabin but alas, no one else did.

I then indicated I had the same cabin for the following week and they did put me in for a different cabin the following week. About 2 days later, they informed me that I had a balcony (booked an inside) for the following week's cruise. I was pleased with that.

I had booked an excursion (and paid for it privately) for a tour on turn around day in Whittier (26 glaicer). I just slept that day - I defintiely needed the sleep to get caught up from the previous week. Looking back - I really wish I could have gone on that tour....

Nothing has ever ruined a cruise for me but on the Golden a couple of years ago there was a group of teenagers in the cabin next door playing, what sounded like, "Spin the bottle" one night. I took it till one am then called the Pursers Desk on them.

On a Caribbean cruise a few years ago the noise started above our cabin every night about 1 AM and lasted over an hour. We were located below a kitchen area. I don't know what was going on, but we could hear carts being wheeled around, machinery running, and lots of other noise.

It didn't ruin our vacation, but since that cruise we are always careful about the location of our cabin.

David

In October we were on the Star just under the Horizon Court and we could hear chairs being dragged around. It was difficult getting to sleep.

On our cruise to Bermuda on a Celebrity ship, we booked sort of last minute and got a cabin next to the engine room. When those engines start up or the anchor drops, you jump out of bed! But to answer your question...nothing ruins my cruise.:D

I had a sliding glass door issue on Celebrity once. For two nights the wind whistled into the cabin, called the front desk and they sent up a guy who replaced the door seal.. problem solved. Recently on the RCI Majesty booked a quick 3 day, deck two trip to the bahamas......not sure what it was to this day but a loud banging noise like a gate being open and closed would start about 5 am and continued on for the whole morning. Yeah it bothered me, I am a light sleeper but I figured you get what you pay for. Never again will I book on deck two.

On the Celebrity Galaxy last year cruising to the Panama Canal, we booked 5 guarantee outside cabins and they placed us on the lowest deck right above the crew's quarters or some sort of facility that banged metal against the walls. Every night for hours it sounded like someone below us was bowling. We all were so curious that we sneaked downstairs to take a peek down that hallway and it was a long narrow hallway with linoleum floors. We think the noise was the crew rolling carts or laundry carts of some kind down the hallways. We asked the director if they could ascertain the problem and he said he would speak to someone, though it never stopped. Guess we can't ask the ship not to do laundry! We booked 6 months out so I had hoped we would have been upgraded to at least a higher floor. We have booked guarantee before and never had such a bad placement. I won't make that mistake again. We just tried to stay out of our rooms until as late as possible.

Any cabin underneath the sliding doors that go to the Horizon Buffet and that general area. We had R525 on Caribbean and it was bad all hours of day and night with dragging and dropping sounds. Funny thing was Princess knew almost what we were going to say when we talked to them about the problem. Their reply was "Unfortunately we told that often."

Debbie

WE were across the hall from the laundry room on our 3 week Antarctic cruise on the Regal this January. It was no problem at all. The room was open from 7 am to 9 pm but we never heard a thing. They had double doors on it and when they were open you could hear from the hallway only the passengers chatting inside. That was it.

When we were on the Rhapsody, we were near the front of the ship and could hear the anchor being lowered after we arrived at a new port in the early morning. It scared the living muffins out of me the first mornng, but then I got used to it.

Last July, A young couple in the adjacent cabin brought their 5 yo monster. His bed was a pull down bunk with something that would go "twang". The "twanging" could go on and on. Another time, I wanted a daytime nap. The monster didn't get his way and screamed for what seemed like an hour. Then the beating began. No nap that day! My advise is to avoid cabins next to monsters.

I am always so exhausted at the end of the day I don't think I would hear a thing.

Same here : I was above a showlounge on my last cruise - decided to go to bed right after dinner on the first night as I was just too exhausted - lay o nthe bed fully dressed trying to decide if perhaps I ought to go out as the show downstairs was still going - next thing I know I wake up & its all quiet - I had fallen asleep regardless of the noise - but then again I fall asleep with the TV on, on a regular basis (usually 10 mins before the film ends :D ).

It would have been more irritating if I wanted an afternoon nap, due to rehersals but on the other hand there was the fun of getting ready for a late dinner, dancing to Freddy Mercury & Queen music from the early showing of that show!

That said I am always tired after a cruise but I guess thats trying to burn the candle at too many ends!

Karen.

The only time noise was an issue was when we had a cabin near the elevators. Heard a lot of dings.

Now the people in cabins next to us always seems to complain about late night noise, but I have no idea what they were talking about.:D

Mike

No noise problems that I can remember.

We do make sure to book a cabin without interior cabins across the hall from us. Perhaps, that has saved us any potential noises.

Archived