Bahamas — what to do

Momperson3

We are going on Edge on 1/23.  We have excursions at all the ports except Bahamas.  What to do— not interested in water parks, etc.  We are both in our mid 60’s.  Thinking maybe just getting off ship, and walking around.  Is there a beach walkable? I thought I saw somewhere about walking to  a rum tasting? Or is there somewhere we can go have a drink and free Wi-Fi?   Something about a straw market?  Maybe take a quick walk  & go back to ship?  Is it safe to walk around?  
we just book this cruise a couple of weeks ago—- and haven’t had a lot of time to research (never been to Bahamas).  Thank you for help

We were just in Nassau this weekend.  Yes, there is a straw market.  And we climbed the Queen's Staircase and toured the small fort at the top.  There is a small local beach just past Margaritaville that is walking distance.  We were going to go to John Watling's Distillery but honestly, it was a windy day, the locals were pushy, and the city was really run down with narrow, uneven sidewalks, and busy streets so we just went back to the ship.  And we were the only ship in port, I can't imagine how crazy that city would be if all 7 ships had been able to dock that were scheduled to dock the day we were there.

I didn't feel unsafe but I'm not sure it is a port I'm anxious to get back to.

I might have unpopular opinion. Nassau is one of the ports that we stay on the ship. The walkable area feels very sketchy and unsafe. We’ve seen abandoned houses, trash on street, dead animals on streets, and businesses don’t open during their posted business hours. 

If I need to get off the ship in Nassau, I will book a celebrity sponsored excursion. 

• Like 1

We booked Celebrity’s Pearl Island excursion last year when we sailed on Edge.  Boat ride to/from the ship.  It’s a small island with a beach…a few water toys.  We really enjoyed the BBQ that was included.  Also climbed a few floors to the top of the lighthouse for a pretty view.  Very low key day! 

14 hours ago, hcat said:

nice bar( shaded) and lunch at the hilton..easy walk..small beach..views of sll the ships!

the day pass is not worth it..pool water not heated...

Can you just walk onto their grounds? If so, do they offer beach chairs or umbrellas if one were to tip or purchase from Hilton?