Covid Testing for Enhanced Guidelines Voyage

tawlaw1526

Has anyone recently been on a cruise that falls under the Enhanced Guidelines for Covid testing?    In March, I am going on a 28 day cruise round trip out of LA.    I am assuming due to the length of the cruise it is requiring everyone to get Covid tested 3 days prior to embarkation.   

I read the below on the Princess site and if I read this correctly, I can use an at home self test which does NOT require it be a proctor test.   The wording seems a little confusing and I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this Enhanced Guideline.    Has anyone done the at home test and taken a picture of it with my government photo ID?    Is this now accepted by Princess?

Testing Requirements

• All guests ages 5 and older are required to take a medically observed COVID-19 Test. 
    • PCR or medically observed Antigen COVID-19 test taken within 3 days prior to embarkation, or
    • Medically observed or self-administered antigen home test taken within 3 days before embarkation.

For guests who have completed a pre-departure self-test:

1. The guest must take one (1) photo which shows the guest’s negative test result next to the guest’s government issued photo ID; and date and time taken.
  2. The guest must carry photo of the negative test result (or have access to it on their mobile phone) and show it upon request at the terminal.

52 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

Has anyone recently been on a cruise that falls under the Enhanced Guidelines for Covid testing?    In March, I am going on a 28 day cruise round trip out of LA.    I am assuming due to the length of the cruise it is requiring everyone to get Covid tested 3 days prior to embarkation.   

I read the below on the Princess site and if I read this correctly, I can use an at home self test which does NOT require it be a proctor test.   The wording seems a little confusing and I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this Enhanced Guideline.    Has anyone done the at home test and taken a picture of it with my government photo ID?    Is this now accepted by Princess?

Testing Requirements

• All guests ages 5 and older are required to take a medically observed COVID-19 Test. 
    • PCR or medically observed Antigen COVID-19 test taken within 3 days prior to embarkation, or
    • Medically observed or self-administered antigen home test taken within 3 days before embarkation.

For guests who have completed a pre-departure self-test:

1. The guest must take one (1) photo which shows the guest’s negative test result next to the guest’s government issued photo ID; and date and time taken.
  2. The guest must carry photo of the negative test result (or have access to it on their mobile phone) and show it upon request at the terminal.

I am on the same cruise!  Two months from today!

There was another thread about this that caused myself (I am a travel agent) and someone else who is also a travel agent to contact Princess.  As you mentioned the wording is very confusing!

The test MUST be medically observed.  I hope they correct the wording soon!

Here is what my Princess business development manager sent to me in an email:

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! The guests absolutely must be medically observed, though they can be the self-administered tests as LONG AS they’re medically observed (Optum tests are an example of this). I’ve escalated this to my director and support team so that this gets addressed asap.”

Edited by spingal
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, spingal said:

There was another thread about this that caused myself (I am a travel agent) and someone else who is also a travel agent to contact Princess.  As you mentioned the wording is very confusing!

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! The guests absolutely must be medically observed, though they can be the self-administered tests as LONG AS they’re medically observed (Optum tests are an example of this). I’ve escalated this to my director and support team so that this gets addressed asap.”

Looks like they updated the FAQ 1/16 but it still doesn’t match up to what’s being said in the Cruise Health Tool!  Hopefully they get it corrected soon. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spingal said:

So awesome to hear you’re on this sailing too!    We had this booked so long and it’s hard to believe it’s 2 months away.     Thank you so very much for this information.     It really sounds like the safest thing to do is get a medically observed test or a proctored home test.    We’ve done the proctored home tests for other cruises and they are quite easy and results are immediate.    

I really appreciate your time and assistance.     

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Looks like they updated the FAQ 1/16 but it still doesn’t match up to what’s being said in the Cruise Health Tool!  Hopefully they get it corrected soon. 

Thank you for your speedy response.     I agree, it still doesn’t match up.   Princess is really making this complicated for us.   

1 hour ago, spingal said:

I just sent another email a little higher up the management chain to try and get the Cruise Health Tool language and the FAQ to match. I think they tried to fix it with the 1/16 update. Hopefully the 12/02/22 Cruise Health Tool will be updated soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

The easiest thing to do is put your voyages number into Princess health tool. It will tell you what you need. Anyone who is going to rely on a self test is taking way to much a chance in my opinion 

It would be IF the would update the CruiseHealth tool.  But, that is conflicting also.  It hasn’t been updated since Dec 2, 22. 

3 hours ago, spingal said:

It’s not just the Crown Enhanced Voyage in question.  What about the other voyages from the US, like the March TA Enchanted?  Same problem.  People think they can just self test, take a picture and download it. Scary how many may be denied boarding.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the same cruise - the wellness check on the app clearly states a self test is OK - as 90% of people aren't on  cruise critic how on earth can they require anything else? - If the documentation provided does not meet their requirements then..

Any guest:

1. who fails to carry evidence of their pre-departure test result as set out above; or
  2. whose test does not comply with pre-departure testing requirements (for example: they had a PCR or Antigen test more than 3 days before departure),

Will be required to undertake a self-administered test prior to entering the terminal.  If the test returns a positive result, the guest will be denied boarding.

so not having the correct test done is not a showstopper just another hoop to go through at check in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Catchum said:

I'm on the same cruise - the wellness check on the app clearly states a self test is OK - as 90% of people aren't on  cruise critic how on earth can they require anything else? - If the documentation provided does not meet their requirements then..

Any guest:

1. who fails to carry evidence of their pre-departure test result as set out above; or
  2. whose test does not comply with pre-departure testing requirements (for example: they had a PCR or Antigen test more than 3 days before departure),

Will be required to undertake a self-administered test prior to entering the terminal.  If the test returns a positive result, the guest will be denied boarding.

so not having the correct test done is not a showstopper just another hoop to go through at check in.

I wouldn’t go by the App. It says right on the top off the wellness check-

check -upload docs…

Please review the COVID-19 vaccination and testing requirements for your voyage and acknowledge the following:

Of course, that hyperlink is a blank page. I believe it is supposed to take you back to the website covid health protocols.

And, don’t be too sure about the show stopper.  It was a show stopper on our Enhanced Voyage Nov/Dec sailing Crown South Pacific cruise. Over 200 guests did not have a medically assisted test. Denied boarding, until port authorities and an urgent care became involved trying to test everyone before sailing.  Finally, PCl medical stepped up and did a MEDICALLY assisted test for them at the port.

It was not pretty.

I don’t really care which test, at this point, let’s just clarify it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spingal said:

I have no doubt that was the answer you received, but if the test "absolutely must" be medically observed, then why the instructions for taking a photo of your self-test with your ID, etc?  In what scenario would you do that if tests must be medically observed?

"Medically observed or self-administered antigen home test" and "Medically observed self-administered antigen home test" are two completely different things.  I am on the March Enchanted TA going to Spain and the medallion app refers to additional requirements only for sailings to, from or visiting Australia.  Since my cruise doesn't go anywhere near Australia, upload of a photo of an at-home self-test with name and test date is the only requirement.  But even then, the app instructions conflict with the website.  The website says the photo must include the guest's govt-issued photo ID, and the app says name and test date written on a piece of paper.  

Edited by pompeii

44 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I have no doubt that was the answer you received, but if the test "absolutely must" be medically observed, then why the instructions for taking a photo of your self-test with your ID, etc?  In what scenario would you do that if tests must be medically observed?

"Medically observed or self-administered antigen home test" and "Medically observed self-administered antigen home test" are two completely different things.  I am on the March Enchanted TA going to Spain and the medallion app refers to additional requirements only for sailings to, from or visiting Australia.  Since my cruise doesn't go anywhere near Australia, upload of a photo of an at-home self-test with name and test date is the only requirement.  But even then, the app instructions conflict with the website.  The website says the photo must include the guest's govt-issued photo ID, and the app says name and test date written on a piece of paper.  

I think the confusion is “self-administered antigen home test” the emed proctored test is also a self administered antigen home test”…

You do have to self administer this proctored test or you could go to a lab or pharmacy and have it medically observed. 

It’s all in the murky terminology. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I think the confusion is “self-administered antigen home test” the emed proctored test is also a self administered antigen home test”…

You do have to self administer this proctored test or you could go to a lab or pharmacy and have it medically observed. 

It’s all in the murky terminology. 

Yes, the online proctored test is self-administered, but the "or" indicates something other than medically observed, whether online or at a pharmacy. Not to be a grammar (or legal) nerd, but "or" denotes exclusive alternatives, either of which is acceptable. 

And there is still the question of, if they have to be medically observed, when you would use the option of a photo of your at-home test result?  

It should be very clear on the Princess website personalizer for your cruise. On my canal cruise in March which stops in Colombia the “important” notices includes non medically observed tests for non vaccinated passengers will not work

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

Yes, the online proctored test is self-administered, but the "or" indicates something other than medically observed, whether online or at a pharmacy. Not to be a grammar (or legal) nerd, but "or" denotes exclusive alternatives, either of which is acceptable. 

And there is still the question of, if they have to be medically observed, when you would use the option of a photo of your at-home test result?  

On the March cruise as well and I totally agree:  why would you give instructions for taking a picture of your at home test if you couldn't do that?

34 minutes ago, memoak said:

It should be very clear on the Princess website personalizer for your cruise. On my canal cruise in March which stops in Colombia the “important” notices includes non medically observed tests for non vaccinated passengers will not work

But that applies to "non-vaccinated" passengers.

25 minutes ago, memoak said:

“Important notices” on ours is general guidance, as it clearly states. Nothing about testing requirements. 

This is where they should state clearly for the individual voyages.  On your summary (cruise personalizer) or your travel summary.  Or, as some have done is the past, email passengers on the specific voyages.

These Enhanced Voyages do not all have the same testing rules, as you can see. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

“Important notices” on ours is general guidance, as it clearly states. Nothing about testing requirements. 

This is where they should state clearly for the individual voyages.  On your summary (cruise personalizer) or your travel summary.  Or, as some have done is the past, email passengers on the specific voyages.

These Enhanced Voyages do not all have the same testing rules, as you can see. 

https://www.princess.com/protocol/

https://www.princess.com/protocol/?voyage=enhanced

Edited by DHP1

In case of doubt, I would err on the conservative side: 

If I thought it looked like I could do medically observed OR a home one with a picture of the result, I would do the Optum/emed observed online because the bottom line is that it's their playground, their rules as far as getting onboard and when you get to another country, like Australia, it will be THEIR playground and THEIR rules for letting you in.

Travel safe and happy friends🥂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jwattle said:

In case of doubt, I would err on the conservative side: 

If I thought it looked like I could do medically observed OR a home one with a picture of the result, I would do the Optum/emed observed online because the bottom line is that it's their playground, their rules as far as getting onboard and when you get to another country, like Australia, it will be THEIR playground and THEIR rules for letting you in.

Travel safe and happy friends🥂

Some people seem to enjoy stress. If you take the medically observed test, there will not be any. Some people are doing the same arguing regarding passports versus birth certificates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NownZen said:

Some people seem to enjoy stress. If you take the medically observed test, there will not be any. Some people are doing the same arguing regarding passports versus birth certificates.

Did it ever occur to you that some people are not in the same position as you might be?  I have a friend that can't do medically observed tests on a phone, she has to fly from Florida to LA on the 15th and cruise leaves on the 17th.  That means she must take a rapid test on the 14th.  Believe it or not, in her area, they are almost impossible to find.  AND in searching for her around the San Pedro area, they are not easy to find either.  Things aren't always as easy as they may appear to you