Should I Sail on Allure or Harmony?

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly!

I'm just one of a minimum of 4 people that usually cruise as part of a group.  So, I go with the flow.  However, if I had my way, I'd pick the ship first then the number of sea day.  My destination is the ship and the sea.  So, the larger the ship and the more the sea days, the happier I am.  

However, there are only two destinations that I pushback on, Bahamas and Jamaica.  I have nothing but negativity towards those two.  But, that's for another time and another thread.

OMG....sorry, but I can't seem to read your post....I am too distracted by your new Avatar.  😄 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Another difference is the specialty restaurants offered.  Harmony has Jamie's, which we have had enough of, Allure has Giovanni's which we plan to eat at twice next week. 

Harmony has Wonderland which we enjoyed.  Allure has Samba Grill which is good.  

With that said you should enjoy them both.  I do miss the water slides when on the Allure. 

I find that the "Specialty" restaurants are about the same, not matter what ship.  Chop's is Chop's.  However, I do like Jamie's (I thank that is the one on the Ovation) is much better than Giovanni's (I may have them reversed).  So, at least for me/us, "Specialty" restaurants don't really enter into my/our decision as to what cruise to take.  Oh, we do like Hookeds a lot.  But, again, not a big decision maker.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

OMG....sorry, but I can't seem to read your post....I am too distracted by your new Avatar.  😄 🤣

I understand.  I was very popular in the 3rd grade when I had that picture taken.  It's a curse, I tell ya!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We just sailed both ships: Harmony in November and Allure in December. I'll just provide some quick take-aways from our trip.

Harmony: Newer so it was nice to experience what an updated ship looked and felt like, newest ship we have yet to be on. We loved Jamie's as we felt they offered a more robust traditional Italian menu than Giovanni's on Allure. We ate at Jamie's twice, so good. I would prefer Harmony over Allure if I had my 15yo with me simply because they have waterslides/abyss/etc, so I think it's a little more teenager friendly regarding extra activities. But for DH and I, we didn't use those things, so really didn't matter to us one way or another.

As for the terminals, both are easy to navigate and we went from terminal to ship within 15 minutes max for both FLL and Galveston. Both were also easy to disembark (self-assist). Did NOT like Diamond Lounge location on this ship (deck 4), closed-in room without a view. Didn't stop me from using it, just not as open with views as it is on Allure (deck 11). We LOVED the jazz lounge performers on this sailing and most nights we went down for an hour or two and just enjoyed, they had great chemistry and did such a great job with their performances. We didn't go to a ton of the other entertainment offered but the Fine Line Aqua Show was absolutely amazing on Harmony.

One other thing I'll mentioned, and I realize everyone's experience is different, but on our particular sailing the crew overall just seemed kind of down. We're really friendly and take time to get to know everyone who serves whether it be at dinner or a lounge, and it's not that anyone was unfriendly, they just seemed...kind of sad/down? So I don't know if maybe it was due to so many passengers coming back to sail and they were overwhelmed, or just having an "off" week, but it was noticeable enough across a few venues for us, which just made us want to be even more friendly since we didn't know what might be going on behind the scenes. Anyway, overall we enjoyed Harmony and will be sailing her again with DS for the NYE cruise.

Allure: I just love this ship, I've sailed on her now 3 times. There is overall a really great vibe and energy and it doesn't bother me she's a little older. We really enjoyed Sabor and Izumi Hibachi, but not so much Giovanni's as we felt their menu could have offered a couple more classics (think: lasagna, chicken alfredo). It wasn't bad, but we did enjoy Jamie's more. As mentioned by others this ship does not have waterslides/abyss/etc so if you have kids and they enjoy those things, they will miss that. 

New terminal is fabulous. If you are driving, book the North Lot as it's right across from the terminal entrance, easy and short walk. When we disembarked we did self assist, off the ship at 7:30am and in our car driving away 10-15 minutes later. Jazz club on Allure was okay, the singer and the bass player didn't have the best chemistry and bass player pretty consistently "corrected" singer if she, for example, gave the wrong writer to a song or something. Made it awkward for the crowd and for her, because he'd do that just as she was about to sing. Just totally not necessary. But we did love the Aqua Show and Ice Show, both very well done and exceptional athleticism! Also went to the "new" Quest, plenty of the traditional stuff you'd expect but some new things too, we laughed and laughed and laughed...lots of fun.

Regarding the crew in restaurants and lounges (since I mentioned it above) they were really amazing, friendly, chatty, seemed content, it was a noticeable difference from our experience on Harmony. Overall, I do love this ship, there's just something about it so I'll be sad when she goes back to FL, but I do think DS is going to have a blast on Harmony this time around 🙂 

Edited by GetToLivin
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

We just sailed both ships: Harmony in November and Allure in December. I'll just provide some quick take-aways from our trip.

Harmony: Newer so it was nice to experience what an updated ship looked and felt like, newest ship we have yet to be on. We loved Jamie's as we felt they offered a more robust traditional Italian menu than Giovanni's on Allure. We ate at Jamie's twice, so good. I would prefer Harmony over Allure if I had my 15yo with me simply because they have waterslides/abyss/etc, so I think it's a little more teenager friendly regarding extra activities. But for DH and I, we didn't use those things, so really didn't matter to us one way or another.

As for the terminals, both are easy to navigate and we went from terminal to ship within 15 minutes max for both FLL and Galveston. Both were also easy to disembark (self-assist). Did NOT like Diamond Lounge location on this ship (deck 4), closed-in room without a view. Didn't stop me from using it, just not as open with views as it is on Allure (deck 11). We LOVED the jazz lounge performers on this sailing and most nights we went down for an hour or two and just enjoyed, they had great chemistry and did such a great job with their performances. We didn't go to a ton of the other entertainment offered but the Fine Line Aqua Show was absolutely amazing on Harmony.

One other thing I'll mentioned, and I realize everyone's experience is different, but on our particular sailing the crew overall just seemed kind of down. We're really friendly and take time to get to know everyone who serves whether it be at dinner or a lounge, and it's not that anyone was unfriendly, they just seemed...kind of sad/down? So I don't know if maybe it was due to so many passengers coming back to sail and they were overwhelmed, or just having an "off" week, but it was noticeable enough across a few venues for us, which just made us want to be even more friendly since we didn't know what might be going on behind the scenes. Anyway, overall we enjoyed Harmony and will be sailing her again with DS for the NYE cruise.

Allure: I just love this ship, I've sailed on her now 3 times. There is overall a really great vibe and energy and it doesn't bother me she's a little older. We really enjoyed Sabor and Izumi Hibachi, but not so much Giovanni's as we felt their menu could have offered a couple more classics (think: lasagna, chicken alfredo). It wasn't bad, but we did enjoy Jamie's more. As mentioned by others this ship does not have waterslides/abyss/etc so if you have kids and they enjoy those things, they will miss that. 

New terminal is fabulous. If you are driving, book the North Lot as it's right across from the terminal entrance, easy and short walk. When we disembarked we did self assist, off the ship at 7:30am and in our car driving away 10-15 minutes later. Jazz club on Allure was okay, the singer and the bass player didn't have the best chemistry and bass player pretty consistently "corrected" singer if she, for example, gave the wrong writer to a song or something. Made it awkward for the crowd and for her, because he'd do that just as she was about to sing. Just totally not necessary. But we did love the Aqua Show and Ice Show, both very well done and exceptional athleticism! Also went to the "new" Quest, plenty of the traditional stuff you'd expect but some new things too, we laughed and laughed and laughed...lots of fun.

Regarding the crew in restaurants and lounges (since I mentioned it above) they were really amazing, friendly, chatty, seemed content, it was a noticeable difference from our experience on Harmony. Overall, I do love this ship, there's just something about it so I'll be sad when she goes back to FL, but I do think DS is going to have a blast on Harmony this time around 🙂 

Nicely done!   

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Wow, thank you so much for this! Outstanding

1 hour ago, island lady said:

LOL....you are way too funny!   Love...love the new one today!  😄 

Keep an eye open, they USUALLY have a meaning or statement of something current or "self-Deprecating".  I love humor, even at my own expense.

BTW, I left open the opportunity for you to ask, "You look a little older than a 3rd grader in that picture".  

I would have answered, "I never said how many years I spent in the 3rd Grade".  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:39 PM, Ret MP said:

Oh man, I hope you are pulling my leg or at least wrong.  We're so looking forward to it.

:classic_sad:

Roatan is one of my favorite ports. If you're an animal lover, like me, you can visit sloths, monkeys and iguanas on ship or private excursions. For private, I recommend Victor Bodden tours. I've use their private tours for years.

• Like 1