Onboard shops: How knowledgeable are the staff?

shipgeeks

At home I no longer have easy access to stores with cosmetics and skincare products, but I always have some good OBC on a cruise. If I want to buy cosmetics onboard, do you think I will get knowledgeable advice from the crew members in the shop?  Suitable shade of lipstick for my skintone? Best night cream for my skin?  Or are they just trained to ring up the sale?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 7:50 AM, shipgeeks said:

At home I no longer have easy access to stores with cosmetics and skincare products, but I always have some good OBC on a cruise. If I want to buy cosmetics onboard, do you think I will get knowledgeable advice from the crew members in the shop?  Suitable shade of lipstick for my skintone? Best night cream for my skin?  Or are they just trained to ring up the sale?

Just off Beyond this morning. I had planned on buying several lipsticks to use up some OBC. Only Estee’ Lauder and Clinique lines had any color products; they along with other lines did have skincare. Shop was predominantly fragrance.

As I worked for EL as a traveling make-up artist, I can say they ladies knew some things but not a lot. The salespeople in department stores know a whole lot more than the ship people and the dept. store folks know more than just their assigned line.

I’d recommend you peruse some of the major skincare line’s websites and educate yourself about their products. Also, make notes of prices so you’ll know if the discount is worth the packing space.

As for my lipsticks, there were only 3 shades of EL lipsticks available and 2 of them wouldn’t be for me (a warm-red and a brown); did find a cool-red and it was about $2 less than a dept. store (and no tax, of course). Clinique only had lip glosses.

Hope this helps!!

• Like 1