​⛴️​ LIVE from Allure ​🎠​ out of Galveston - Ozark_Kid and brillohead team up for a duo-thread: Jan 22, 2023

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@Ozark_Kid Pics look awesome! Colors are amazing. Only question can it shoot in landscape mode 16:9 or horizontal? I don’t care for the aspect ratio. Up and down

😂 So I wanted to show you an example.  I hit save and about 15 minutes later the video loaded to the phone. 

You have several Fram choices.  Both you mentioned and others.  I have been framing for phone users. 

image.thumb.png.a8cab0eec22f28787993ccb1be06f362.png

image.thumb.png.f127aa2e2e0496502611bf52b35796ed.png

Edited by Ozark_Kid
Forgot picks
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Ocean Boy Notice she doubted me too!  And I posted pics!  🤔 I'm waiting to see what my percent of doubt is.. 

No! LOL!  You were the clincher!  and yes, you had proof! I believed you 100%! LOL!

Edited by slyster
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Sea Dog even though the 2nd pic is framed wider it will not post wider at least on a phone. 

Yes that looks great. That is the best aspect to get the most real estate in your picture. Looks fantastic.

41 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't you just have to turn the phone sideways to shoot landscape? 

John is taking pictures using the Insta 360 camera and not his phone.

Cardinal rule for photography on a phone is to take pictures with the phone horizontal and not vertical.

I sometimes will be a jerk when I see someone taking a picture on the phone vertically. I go by them and say, “You’re picture will look more professional if you turn your phone sideways.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Cardinal rule for photography on a phone is to take pictures with the phone horizontal and not vertical.

I sometimes will be a jerk when I see someone taking a picture on the phone vertically. I go by them and say, “You’re picture will look more professional if you turn your phone sideways.

Doesn't it depend on the  subject? All the seascapes that I have posted here are with the phone horizontal but if I were shooting a lighthouse that I was close to I would hold it vertically... I think. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Doesn't it depend on the  subject? All the seascapes that I have posted here are with the phone horizontal but if I were shooting a lighthouse that I was close to I would hold it vertically... I think. 

I do think in that case it is fine to shoot vertical. A professional photographer would do the same thing for something that tall like a lighthouse. A waterfall would be another good example.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't you just have to turn the phone sideways to shoot landscape? 

Yes, when shooting with the phone. If you have it on 3:4 turn it sideways and it shoots 4:3.

The pics I posted from the new camera is taking 360° pictures.  With the original pic it has no framing.  You can see everything around you.  When editing you can choice the frame that you want to share.  That's why they say shoot know, frame later.  I don't think that an original 360° pic would be viewable posted on CC. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, jagsfan said:

I don’t see the same display on my Royal app. Show more times doesn’t show lunch on any of the three dining rooms, except Day 7!

It does show brunch. 
But no brunch menus!

All I want to know is if I can still get Steak Frites for lunch!

I already know Eggs Benedict is still available for breakfast.  
Getting to eat food I didn’t cook is one of my reasons for cruising!

What are the steak frites that are for lunch?

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

The real problem is light.  If you take a light canon with you, the colors will come out spectacular, you can rent these too.  We used to scuba a lot.

Just snorkeling, on a very sunny day in very clear water, so there should be plenty of light available.  If going deep, like with scuba, then light is more of a problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It may be his hearing aids paired with a near by device.  If he just changed channels it would stop. 

I didn't think that they could pair without getting "confirmation" from the device they were connected to... at least, that's always been my experience with other Bluetooth devices.  Who would make hearing aids that randomly connect to a stranger's device? 

And I still didn't see anyone using a device for anything other than taking pictures... you have to be pretty close for a Bluetooth connection. You'd think we'd be able to see someone watching a video or playing a game within Bluetooth distance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

How's the water/seaweed situation? 

I've seen MUCH worse.  The water wasn't pretty, but the workers were diligent about raking and removing the seaweed all day long.  Perla said that they started raking it up at 4am today!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

After the Roatan visit, Brillo posted that she did not have any pics and that I took them. When I read that I thought 😲.  I only took a couple.  Later I reviewed the 360 video I made from where we were snorkeling back to where we had chairs.  I found out I can pull picks from the video.  Like they say, Shot now, frame later.  I will not know much about the locations so I plan to number them and if you have questions maybe Brillo will know. 

Well, I was talking about all the pics that are on the GoPro.  I shot the pics and videos, but you have the camera and the means to retrieve them.  

I'll add commentary to the pics you posted.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I do think in that case it is fine to shoot vertical. A professional photographer would do the same thing for something that tall like a lighthouse. A waterfall would be another good example.

49 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It depends on several things.  Most that are younger than us shoot vertical because most share on phones.  When we post vertical here you don't have to always zoom in our turn your phone sideways to view.  Post horizontal and the viewer will not get the full effect unless they turn their phone sideways.  

Good reason for vertical...... 

image.thumb.png.66c649c32399ce18d99a8226ea63c36c.png

You don't have to turn the phone to enjoy and still a good shot. 

Good reason for horizontal.... 

image.thumb.png.a2a7e66c3607f2ee6624bfcb8e7cd25b.png

The view looks better to me horizontal but if you view this on a phone you need to turn your phone sideways to fully enjoy. 

I think a professional photographer would consider the way the photo will be used when shooting. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EcruiserKS said:

This is the exact area we are looking to visit. For the snorkeling, is it super far out and deep? I know my two girls will want to snorkel and trying to decide how it is.

Thanks!! Love following you and Brillo, so fun.

I'm going to repost some of John's pictures with commentary on them.  You can start seeing coral and fish before you get to shoulder level, but for the best snorkeling I recommend going out behind the reef.  The coral that is closer in to shore is very maze-like, and an inexperienced snorkeler can easily find themselves in a dead-end situation and panic, not knowing how to reverse out.  

If you have not-so-strong swimmers, I'd just bring inflatable noodles to put under their bellies, or children's "water wings", or a snorkel vest, for going out in the deeper areas.  Unless it's a SUPER windy/stormy day, the waves even on the back side of the reef are really mild in that area.  

If you don't have your transportation worked out yet, I can recommend Let's Go Roatan Tours.  You can get a personal driver for your group for the day.  

• Like 2

Okay, stealing some of @Ozark_Kid's photos for commentary from Roatan...

This picture shows the beach part of the Infinity Bay resort.  According to their website, they offer a day pass for their beach and pool for $30-$40pp if you book at least a week in advance.  Their pool is lovely, but there's a free pool on the ship!  Besides, I spend my whole day snorkeling, so there's no point in spending money to rent a chair that I'm never going to sit in.  The dock that you see is where the dive boats take off from, for those who want to do scuba diving.

Infinity.jpg.899db72278f9874ea9864b197bcdc594.jpg

This construction tarp wall is where I usually plop down my bag while I go out snorkeling.  It's the edge of the Grand Roatan property, and just on the other side of the sign and light pole is Tabyana Beach.  (see next photo)  The Grand Roatan property is the last beach before the big rock cliff. (the rock cliff is behind you in this picture)

snro.png.ef11dc31c0a71644b59c0f9630612dcc.png

This is Tabyana Beach.  If you do a cruise ship excursion to West Bay Beach, this is where you will end up.  All the cruise line excursions come here, so you'll be sharing the beach with folks from Carnival, Princess, etc. 

R.jpg.99608813b5503bcd52ea35a35e926854.jpg

This shows the big rock cliff that I mentioned... basically the "behind you" view of the picture with the construction tarp wall.  There are trees/shrubs on top of the cliff, but it's just a lava-rock looking wall all the way down to the water and below.  This is the area where if you start swimming out, you run into the maze of coral.  

6.jpg.e2134cb11b8a61c7269bb0956c713661.jpg

This picture shows the rock wall on the left, and you can see the shadow of the light pole on the right.  To get behind the reef, swim straight out on the other side of the light pole (in front of Tabyana or Infinity Bay beaches), and then turn left and you'll be on the backside of the coral and won't have to deal with the maze.  You can then swim all the way to the big rock that you see sticking out of the water (and beyond, if you want).  The big rock looks little in the pic below, but as you can see in the pic above, it's quite large. 

snork.png.f498f8173a2676f1febb784b10f318b0.png

Hope that wasn't too confusing -- if anyone has any questions about snorkeling or the beach clubs in that area, just ask! 

Okay, I just worked up this Google Maps view of the area, to hopefully explain where things are.   Hopefully this makes more sense.

935799289_Roatn-Google-Maps.thumb.png.5a32522717f6814a6cc68e8f374dce9a.png

Edited by brillohead
Added the map.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The Grand Roatan property is the last beach before the big rock cliff. (the rock cliff is behind you in this picture

This? 

image.thumb.png.826dcfd1d10d74fabb092968a30e998f.png

Oops, I didn't read the rest. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

Yep, that's it exactly!  The umbrellas are the Grand Roatan's beach area, which ends at the rock wall.  And you can see The Big Rock on the right side.

That is the nice thing about the 360, just go back and reframe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@brillohead Are you going to Momma Mia tonight?  We are leaving for the Windjammer soon  to eat before the show.  You know, because we are so hungry. 

I'm doing Mamma Mia tomorrow night.  

Don't forget to take pics of the food offerings in the buffet!