Coronation

TouchstoneFeste

I see that the Coronation of King Charles will take place on May 6 with celebrations over the weekend and a special Bank Holiday.

Should be interesting for those of us arriving (that would be me and my wife) or departing Southampton that weekend. Glad we already have a hotel booked in London.

I had been hoping a crossing on the QM2 would be feasible for an arrival in Southampton just prior to the coronation. Unfortunately, the QM2 arrives on the 7th.  The next w/b departure of the QM2  is on the 18th which is not convenient.

I detest flying both ways across the Atlantic (and can barely tolerate one way).  So I will have to watch the coronation of our King on television.

• Like 2

We are scheduled to be in port in Lisbon on Coronation Day aboard the beautiful Queen Victoria - hoping there might be a special afternoon tea party or an extra gala night which might get arranged too 👍  I have visions of red, white and blue flags and balloons everywhere 😀 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue-B said:

We are scheduled to be in port in Lisbon on Coronation Day aboard the beautiful Queen Victoria - hoping there might be a special afternoon tea party or an extra gala night which might get arranged too 👍  I have visions of red, white and blue flags and balloons everywhere 😀 

We were on QM2 for the Queen's Jubilee, and they went all out.  There were tea parties, a special dinner, flowers everywhere, and celebrations of all kinds.  The elevator area nearest the piazza was the center of the biggest celebration.  The area was supposed to be similar to the neighborhood parties throughout the UK.  King's Court had a special tea buffet as did the Grills Lounge. Here is a photo of the preparations for the biggest party.

6F82D510-60F5-4C79-AF98-9CFD05E1BEE4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.03986e932e128bfb5794bd303957b205.jpeg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Sue-B said:

Wow FritzG that celebration looks amazing!  Now I’m even more excited!  Thank you for sharing 👍

I am really excited also even if I am from the US.  Hope we have a massive celebration when we are on board on May 6th.  

• Like 1

I also look forward to celebrate the coronation on board QM2 - I am sure they recognize the occation ín similar way they did with the Jubilee!

The Coronation itself will be shown in the theater and - or in the Planetarium. Very possibly a Coronation Ball.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:40 PM, ballroom-cruisers said:

- after all most of us won't see a Coronation more than once in our lives from now....

Actually, Charles III is no spring chicken - there is a fair likelihood of there being another Coronation within a decade or two;  or are “most of us” that mature?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, Charles III is no spring chicken - there is a fair likelihood of there being another Coronation within a decade or two;  or are “most of us” that mature?

It could possibly occur during the 200 year cunard celebration which is only 17 years away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Good grief! The poor bloke is not even on the throne yet, and you're burying him already>

Well, he is the oldest, by about a decade, to ever be crowned in Britain. The second was William IV, at 64, about two centuries ago.   I wish him a long and happy reign (as he bears the name of a couple of my favorite of Britain’s rulers) — still,  time does move on.

• Like 1