Rhine water levels 2023 and similar topics

notamermaid

Quick look at Kaub gauge. 170cm and still rising. Peak expected for tomorrow. Rainy weather continues into tomorrow according to the forecast.

Great! I think that level sorts it, meaning this is good for a decent level for river cruise ships well into August. All of August? Well, not clear and a bit optimistic of course but with the rain having filled Lake Constance a bit, things are looking better than a week ago.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Quick look at Kaub gauge. 170cm and still rising. Peak expected for tomorrow. Rainy weather continues into tomorrow according to the forecast.

Great! I think that level sorts it, meaning this is good for a decent level for river cruise ships well into August. All of August? Well, not clear and a bit optimistic of course but with the rain having filled Lake Constance a bit, things are looking better than a week ago.

notamermaid

@notamermaid Thank you so much! We leave Amsterdam on 9-August for our first river cruise, and your information has helped!!

• Like 1

New to this forum. Would like to say to @notamermaid, you are a wealth of knowledge!  Thank you for so much incredibly interesting and helpful information. Leaving 8/06 on Viking from Trier, Germany to Basel. Can’t wait!

Edited by Unique1948
To link to “notamermaid”

@notamermaid

You are so very helpful!  New to this site and love your info, thank you!

My question to you is and I would love your opinion because I'm finalizing up a cruise reservation for fall 2024 on the Danube.   There's 2  I'm looking at.  My favorite one that last sailing is Budapest to Prague (extension) but it's date is Aug 26 - Sept 5th.  Should I be worried about water levels on the Danube during that time based on past years?  I would hate to have to swap ships or get bussed to excursions.  Sailing on Avalon which I know from experience is not as deep of ships as some and they tend to run when others cant get through an area (Uniworld couldn't but they could).  My 2nd fave is same Budapest to Prague and it's date is mid to late Sept.   I worry that one will have not enough daylight hours, maybe too cold, etc. I'm guessing water levels will be ok mid to late sept.  Your thoughts?  I'm having a hard time picking which cruise and time is running out.  My fave is the excursions they have picked on the Aug. 26th cruise but worried about water levels.   Thanks!!

Always pick the cruise with the better excursions. 

I did Prague in November and it was fine (I am a little more tolerant of cold though)

if I’m finding the right cruise you leave the river at vilshofen which is before the low point that is being talked about. You should be fine

On 7/29/2023 at 9:57 AM, Unique1948 said:

New to this forum. Would like to say to @notamermaid, you are a wealth of knowledge!  Thank you for so much incredibly interesting and helpful information. Leaving 8/06 on Viking from Trier, Germany to Basel. Can’t wait!

Welcome to Cruisecritic. Thank you for your kind words. You will be cruising on the Moselle, too. May I recommend that thread to you? Hope you enjoy Trier and its famous Porta Nigra.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

rosepetalsbeck, welcome to Cruisecritic. thank you for your kind words.

First: I second the comments of CastleCritic. Check your port for disembarkation. Vilshofen should be fine. Problems are further upstream. As regards the problems themselves. We have no idea of knowing which of the dates you mention will be worse next year. On the Danube there is not much in it.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, rosepetalsbeck said:

I worry that one will have not enough daylight hours, maybe too cold, etc.

The second dates that you mentioned will give you cooler nights in general and of course less daylight. There is daylight saving time in Europe. For details check this website: https://www.timeanddate.com/

Unless you are used to being in a very hot climate you should be fine. Layer up, check good weather websites. Days in September and beginning of October can still be warm. Not gloves weather yet...

Have fun planning and perhaps see you in the Danube thread.

notamermaid

The ferry at Linz - and the excursion boat - part 3

(parts 1 and 2 are in posts #290 and #294)

We headed to Brohl harbour and made a quick stop as I wanted to see the excursion boat "Carmen Sylva" for the last time. I explain. The boat was built in 1968 and had been doing excursions, day ones and a few longer trips, ever since. In 2022 it was put onto the market for sale (connected with the insolvency of the operator). It was supposed to be auctioned off in April 2023 but sank in Brohl harbour in March. "That's it.", I thought and as we were on the road it gave me the opportunity to see the almost completely submerged vessel for a last time before it was pulled out of the water and scrapped. When we got there the harbour area was busy with cars parked at the side of the road and people lining the embankment. A huge crane had arrived and had already started the procedure! I had not known the exact day for the rescue operation. It was certainly a spectacle in this small town and we watched for some minutes. The "Carmen Sylva" being fastened to the ropes of the crane:

163742-Kopie.thumb.jpg.f78f94f0e069ed4c2c607c465a2d7b04.jpg

The barge (without engine) at the back is ready for her to be lifted on. The crane in its full height:

163906-Kopie.thumb.jpg.017ad1bb49748495211d49cc9215ac74.jpg

The drizzly weather and the sight of the once beautiful boat left me somewhat in a contemplative mood. Time to head back home.

At home we had the cake from Café Kleber and it was really good. My piece was a light and creamy cheese cake with cacao base and cassis topping:

174326-Kopie.thumb.jpg.2bfa1f2bc60d2adc9a1dd449fde8e829.jpg

Recommended!

Epilogue (kind of). Since the incident in the harbour the story of the "Carmen Sylva" has turned and twisted. First she was declared a wreck, then another court ruled against that declaring her "fit for floating" and that she can be repaired. So she went into auction. First there was no bidder. But then last week I read that a businessman in Andernach had bought her. A court will rule in August whether this sale will go ahead and he can really claim her as his ship. What will happen then, I wonder?

notamermaid

• Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 11:15 AM, mjz said:

I'll be on the Avalon Panorama from Basel to Amsterdam embarking July 29th.  I'll post an update along the way.

I’m sure you’re well aware, but water levels are currently a non issue.  Have a great trip!  We’re enjoying ours.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjz said:

I’m sure you’re well aware, but water levels are currently a non issue.  Have a great trip!  We’re enjoying ours.

Thank you for saying hello from your cruise. Glad to read that you are having a good time.

notamermaid

On 7/13/2023 at 9:15 PM, Kristelle said:

Hi Vilhelm2 - which company and ship are you on?

we are doing that Amsterdam to Budapest trip in September.

Interested in any comments you have while /after you are on it.

Kristelle, we just got back home yesterday from our Amsterdam to Budapest sailing with Viking.  I will say there was much to see and do during our trip but sadly there was much more to wish had been different.  As for the water levels, the Rhine was fine until it met the Danube near Regensburg.  We had to switch ships just after our Nuremberg tour.  We were bussed from Nuremberg to Passau where we spent the night and then we were bussed back to Regensburg to take our scheduled tour.  Then we were bussed back to the ship to continue on our trip.  The trip turned decidedly worse when we boarded the Baldur.  The attitude of the crew was several notches below what we had experienced on the Magni, The food was worse as well. Unfortunately I have learned since returning, after reading some reviews, that Viking has been fully aware of the need to trade ships long before our trip even started.  As it turns out the prior three ships heading for Budapest had to be switched due to low river levels at Regensberg.  Viking said that it was "possible" that we may have to switch ships a couple days before it happened.  Viewing the river at Regensberg it would be hard to float a rowboat through there.  I know your trip is in September so hopefully there will be sufficient rainfall to change the situation but don't be surprised if it happens.

Enough of the good stuff.  Immediately following our boarding on the Baldur people started coming down with diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting and all the other symptoms of the Norovirus or a gastrointestinal virus of some kind.  I estimate at least 70% of the passengers had the illness over the rest of the trip.  The shipboard management didn't even mention the virus until after the third day when it was impossible not to notice and enough complaints were heard.  The whole thing was terribly mishandled and all in the name of saving money for Viking.  They should have cancelled the trip at that point but decided to go into full Covid mode with masks, changes in food handling, hand washing etc.  The illnesses continued despite these efforts.

We made it to Budapest and despite another one of their drawn out and dull tours we managed to see a bit of this beautiful city.  The next day we were off on our return to Seattle.

The first leg of our return went as planned after having to report to the eating area at 2:30am for stale muffins and coffee and to bus to the airport.  After arriving in Paris we learned that the seats we had been promised had been changed and we were separated by several rows for our 9 hour flight to Seattle.  Our friends we travelled with had no seats at all and were told they had to fly standby!!  Fortunately they were able to get seats but also well apart from each other.

There is another thing I will pass along and that is the fact that between Amsterdam and Regensberg there are over 60 locks you will be going through.  The locks are annoying in that you are jostled around and basically at a standstill for a half an hour plus and surrounded by concrete walls close enough to touch from your balcony seats.  The last negative thing I will tell you is that five days of your trip will be made without use of the upper sundeck.  They have to lower all the seats, umbrellas, and the control cabin to allow the ship to clear the bridges.  During this time your only option to get some sunshine is to go to the lounge area and fight for seats or sit on your balcony if it's on the sunny side of the ship.  If the ship is docked and you have a boat tied up next to you it will be very difficult to find a place to enjoy the sun and the scenery.

I am sorry to be so negative but Viking is out to make money and it's obvious that money means more to them than your comfort and enjoyment.  There are a lot of good things of course.  The food is good and at times excellent.  The cleaning crews are just wonderful and hard working people.  The ships are clean and for the most part you can ask for anything within reason and they will happily get it for you.  The views from the ship at times are just jaw dropping and the 24 hour coffee machines offer very good coffee and pastries as long as you aren't on a virus watch.

Kristelle, I don't want to discourage you but this is an honest description of our trip.  By September all could be changed for the better and you will have a thoroughly enjoyable time.  Thanks for putting up with this long-winded post.

• Like 1

@Vilhelm2 Thank you for your honest review.

2 hours ago, Vilhelm2 said:

The last negative thing I will tell you is that five days of your trip will be made without use of the upper sundeck.

This is on the Main river. It is something that is not often talked about and a big criticism with those sailing on that river and the Main Danube Canal.

I hope the great memories of the cruise outweigh the negative ones, if not now then over time.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Thanks for your detailed post Vilhelm - and sorry your trip did not go as planned.

Swapping ships is one thing and I get that it is sometimes unavoidable - but one would expect similar attitude of staff, food etc on second ship, disappointing that was not so.

and outbreak of illness sounds horrible

I would be very angry if my flight seats were changed - have paid for certain seats and I am not good at flying and my partner is good at calming me - not possible of course if one is separated. and anyway your seats are already allocated - weird that they got changed.

and even worse for your friends - almost not getting on flight at all 😲

I know there are lots of locks - I am expecting them to be an interesting novelty at first - which probably wears thin after so many of them.

My cruise is in early September (with Scenic)  - hopefully water levels good by then - or if not, at least better handled than Viking did for you.

2 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Thanks for your detailed post Vilhelm - and sorry your trip did not go as planned.

Swapping ships is one thing and I get that it is sometimes unavoidable - but one would expect similar attitude of staff, food etc on second ship, disappointing that was not so.

and outbreak of illness sounds horrible

I would be very angry if my flight seats were changed - have paid for certain seats and I am not good at flying and my partner is good at calming me - not possible of course if one is separated. and anyway your seats are already allocated - weird that they got changed.

and even worse for your friends - almost not getting on flight at all 😲

I know there are lots of locks - I am expecting them to be an interesting novelty at first - which probably wears thin after so many of them.

My cruise is in early September (with Scenic)  - hopefully water levels good by then - or if not, at least better handled than Viking did for you.

I didn't know you were going with Scenic.  After all my complaining I still will have good memories.  Often even the unfortunate events turn out to be fun times to recall and have a laugh over.  As bad as our trip went it was still like nothing I've ever experienced.  Have a great trip Kristelle.

Thank you.

Yes ,am going with Scenic - but I imagine itiniaries with most of these companies are very  similar on same routes - and issues affecting ships, locks etc apply to all river cruise companies on same routes.

its good to hear everything - the good the bad and the ugly (the gastro part sounds very ugly 🤢)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Yes ,am going with Scenic - but I imagine itineraries with most of these companies are very  similar on same routes - and issues affecting ships, locks etc apply to all river cruise companies on same routes.

As they say, the devil is in the details.  The routes are similar at start and finish, but the ports may vary, the times in port will probably vary, and the excursions offered (choices, size of groups, and whether they are all included or some are extra cost) will definitely vary.  Even the water levels vary because some ships seem to sit lower and some captains are more afraid of touching the bottom (and some lines have more ships on the river so can more easily do swaps).

I haven't sailed Viking River because I believe that all these factors (except the last, the ability to do ship swaps) are worse for them especially as compared to the top lines like Scenic.  The one complaint above that really hit me was:

7 hours ago, Vilhelm2 said:

The whole thing was terribly mishandled and all in the name of saving money for Viking.

My experience with Scenic was the exact opposite: everything was top notch, and the staff on board were empowered to make anything right.  You should have a great cruise!

• Like 1

Greetings from the AmaSerena - currently in Strasbourg! Good news - it’s raining! 😂 Tip: For those traveling in the coming weeks - try to just take carry-ons. The ground crews in Europe are creating baggage headaches. Our party of three packed our necessities in carry-ons and we checked one bag containing things we ‘would like to have during the cruise but could live without.’  Sure enough - the one checked bag is still in Munich! Likely won’t see it until we return home. We are thankful to have what we need at hand. Time to shop for a raincoat at Place des Halles. 😁 🛍️ 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@Vilhelm2 Thank you for your honest review.

This is on the Main river. It is something that is not often talked about and a big criticism with those sailing on that river and the Main Danube Canal.

I hope the great memories of the cruise outweigh the negative ones, if not now then over time.

notamermaid

I find this discussion of the Main river sun deck closing has been talked about many times on the CC forums.  Also our Program Director was very upfront about it on the first day.  With the low bridges on the Main it is pretty obvious why it is closed.  Also the locks in my opinion are the fun part of the cruise. Every time the ship slows down or bumps, I say "Lock"! No Noro on the Gefjon or the Ve, we just got back today.  Had some rainy weather but all par for the course, better than the weather in Texas!

I think we all have different expectations and one brand or cruise fits some people like a good shoe and some not at all.  Sorry to hear about the illnesses on the other ships.

Thanks Notamermaid for all your monitoring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcaruso said:

I find this discussion of the Main river sun deck closing has been talked about many times on the CC forums.

I meant it as a general comment as compared to water levels for example, also off the forum. I hardly ever see it referred to elsewhere. Yes, we have talked about it here not infrequently and I think in the roll calls it is mentioned more often from the glimpses I have got.

Connected to that topic: Yesterday I browsed through the "teaser" catalogue, i.e. a smaller edition of the main catalogue, of the agent for CroisiEurope in Germany. And right there clearly visible as a separate paragraph perfectly in view and not hidden in the fine print are all the "must-knows" about river cruising like water levels, locks, rafting and the sun deck being possibly closed.

Good to read that you had a great time on Viking again.

You had hot weather and unfortunately the (smooth) ship swap but on the Rhine you got the change to the more favourable temperatures for touring but with not little rain thrown in. Now we have gone full "non-summer" and today is the coldest and wettest August day I have experienced since I last went to Yorkshire a few years ago.

notamermaid

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

. Now we have gone full "non-summer" and today is the coldest and wettest August day I have experienced since I last went to Yorkshire a few years ago.

notamermaid

I sure hope the water levels do not go high, both high and low can cause some trouble.  Since we in Texas are having a long run of 100+ I would be happy to be back in Germany!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As they say, the devil is in the details.  The routes are similar at start and finish, but the ports may vary, the times in port will probably vary, and the excursions offered (choices, size of groups, and whether they are all included or some are extra cost) will definitely vary.  Even the water levels vary because some ships seem to sit lower and some captains are more afraid of touching the bottom (and some lines have more ships on the river so can more easily do swaps).

I haven't sailed Viking River because I believe that all these factors (except the last, the ability to do ship swaps) are worse for them especially as compared to the top lines like Scenic.  The one complaint above that really hit me was:

My experience with Scenic was the exact opposite: everything was top notch, and the staff on board were empowered to make anything right.  You should have a great cruise!

Which lines would you consider top lines in addition to Scenic?

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Which lines would you consider top lines in addition to Scenic?

Scenic, Tauck and Uniworld are all-inclusive, and AMA although not all-inclusive is top quality.  Also the new Riverside, a German hotel company that bought the lovely Crystal river ships.

• Like 1