Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

This coming Sunday monuments all over Germany are open again, many of them normally not accessible to the general public. It is "Tag des offenen Denkmals" and you can look up places on a map. While this is normally all in German, perhaps there is a place that you would like to explore while you happen to be there anyway. Like Regensburg. There is a café with a surprise in the inside architecture: https://www.tag-des-offenen-denkmals.de/event/cliobhf0p002ejk0gqowjvw8r

While the café has of course standard opening hours, on this day information tours explain the history of the building.

Go to "Denkmalkarte" at the top for more ideas.

notamermaid

Pfelling gauge at 332cm.

I have mentioned the Roman heritage along the Danube. One such place is Vindobona, modern day Vienna. Fun fact: Vindobona is also the name of a long-distance train that has been re-established this year. It takes you from Dresden to Vienna.

But to the Romans and the Danube further East. The heritage can also be discovered in more unusual places, meaning not in the well-known cities like Vienna and Budapest. Let us look at that in another post.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The Danube was of course a major trading route for the Romans. So you could find remains of ships, right? Yes and that is what happened earlier this year (again). Although wood has the annoying habit for archaeologists of rotting quickly, luck had it that the ground conditions where such that a boat could be excavated in Serbia. It has been unearthed in a coal mine: https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/romans/ancient-roman-boat-from-empires-frontier-unearthed-in-serbian-coal-mine

As the text says, this was near Kostolac, which is close to the site of the old Roman town of Viminacium, a major trading centre: http://viminacium.org.rs/en/

This is where to find it on the map: image.png.3bcccbe7682fe50ab3d17c846e69a940.png

notamermaid

We have been on the Riverside Mozart for the last week and decided to extend for an additional week.  The weather here has been amazing and very summer like hot.  Even have been able to sunbathe on the upper deck.  The river is definitely very different than it was last Sunday when we first boarded.  Water is much calmer without the debris that we saw at the beginning. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, iticlaudia said:

We have been on the Riverside Mozart for the last week and decided to extend for an additional week.  The weather here has been amazing and very summer like hot.  Even have been able to sunbathe on the upper deck.  The river is definitely very different than it was last Sunday when we first boarded.  Water is much calmer without the debris that we saw at the beginning. 

lucky you!

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Turn for the worse. Pfelling gauge dropped to 300cm this afternoon.

notamermaid

I have been tracking the SS Beatrice and last night she left Passau and has almost reached Regensburg before going to Nuremberg tomorrow and starting back Wednesday evening. The captain/Uniworld must have decided he can make it back to Passau by Friday, perhaps counting on the bit of rain in the forecast?

2 hours ago, Izengolf said:

The captain/Uniworld must have decided he can make it back to Passau by Friday, perhaps counting on the bit of rain in the forecast?

Always an individual decision of course. The captains know the river inside out and their ships how they react to low water.

I had hoped and was confident that the level would stay good for the past week, me knowing that the heat and no rain would have a very quick effect at Pfelling. Glad to be proven right but for this week I can see a potentially wobbly situation. Pfelling now at 295cm.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Pfelling gauge now showing 289cm. As Izengolf has mentioned rain is forecast. Today may be the last day of summer heat.

Clouds are sweeping in from the Southwest (Vosges mountains/French-Swiss border) going Northeast. It is raining in the North of Germany.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Pretty dark clouds when I just left Munich by train and it started to rain. There are warnings for severe thunderstorms for today in the Alps and pre Alps region.

steamboats

Rain with us was really heavy, hail hit Worms very hard.

Stay safe.

Pfelling gauge has dropped to 274cm.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Weather is looking pretty good here in Saarbrücken 😉 right now.

steamboats 

Aahh, Saarbrücken. All calm there now. Nice place. Checking out the river cruise dock, if I may ask? The city is the base of the agent (which cannot be named) for CroisiEurope.

notamermaid

On 9/11/2023 at 8:12 AM, Izengolf said:

I have been tracking the SS Beatrice and last night she left Passau and has almost reached Regensburg before going to Nuremberg tomorrow and starting back Wednesday evening. The captain/Uniworld must have decided he can make it back to Passau by Friday, perhaps counting on the bit of rain in the forecast?

We were docked next to SS Beatrice in Nuremburg today. ( Tues) 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Aahh, Saarbrücken. All calm there now. Nice place. Checking out the river cruise dock, if I may ask? The city is the base of the agent (which cannot be named) for CroisiEurope.

I have stopped by the Saar river yesterday briefly but no river cruise ship in town. I will have a longer walk along the Saar river tonight (on my way to dinner). But Saarbrücken is a pretty rare stop for river cruise ships.

I saw two river cruise ships in Mannheim when the train crossed the bridge.

steamboats

• Like 1