Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

3 hours ago, reeves35 said:

During our ship swap between Nuremberg and Passau, our bus stop was at the Seidl Chocolate Factory near Regensburg.  The toilets were free and there was an opportunity to buy from their store or grab a fairly good coffee.  It sounds preferable to Macca's.

Definitely!!  

4 hours ago, reeves35 said:

During our ship swap between Nuremberg and Passau, our bus stop was at the Seidl Chocolate Factory near Regensburg.  The toilets were free and there was an opportunity to buy from their store or grab a fairly good coffee.  It sounds preferable to Macca's.

That certainly would have been better!  We were also on the terrible no air conditioning and lots of coughing bus…we have started wearing masks on the Petri dish busses.   As we pull into Wurzburg this morning we are met by magical fog dancing on the River and beautiful buildings atop.    

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, deec said:

That certainly would have been better!  We were also on the terrible no air conditioning and lots of coughing bus…we have started wearing masks on the Petri dish busses.   As we pull into Wurzburg this morning we are met by magical fog dancing on the River and beautiful buildings atop.    

LOL...too funny!  

I had named it "Disease on wheels"....but yours is funnier!  😄 

We held onto health for the first 10 days, but since the Petri dish bus tours were most generous with the germ sharing...we finally fell victim.  I am better now, but Bucky is still sick.  Sigh..is not how we planned to spend the last leg of our cruise.  😞   The low water ship swap 4 hour bus ride was unavoidable of course. 

We cancelled quite  a few tours, including the optional ones that we were not reimbursed for.  Felt we needed to do the right thing as to not wanting to spread it around with us being sick in close quarters on the bus.  Unfortunately too many others did not care, and still rode those busses coughing and sneezing.  Uggh...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izengolf said:

The River Princess travels between Nuremberg and Vienna so this port change to Engelhartszell instead of Nuremberg tomorrow is quite a change.

https://www.uniworld.com/ca/port-locations

Engelhartszell fortunately has been used for some years now as an alternative port to Passau. It is a small place but should work fine.

notamermaid

21 minutes ago, MotherDaughterTravels said:

Rcaruso,  Questions about your post. Are the posts all of Budapest River Cruises or just the ones that travel past Passau? TY

All that start in Budapest.  Look at Notamermaids post water levels between Budapest and Komaron are too low for them to sail, right now.  If you are going on a cruise you should get notice where the ship will start by Viking.  Look at CruiseMapper.com and you can see the transit of Viking ships.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:13 PM, Izengolf said:

Our drive from Passau to Prague through the Bavarian and Bohemian forests was gorgeous! No complaints from anyone. Our busses were staggered by 30 minutes and the gas station had enough restrooms there wasn't a lineup. Either that or we naturally spread ourselves out between the facilities and food 😃

Ours was the same, nice scenic country, and we were the only bus at the rest stop. We passed a couple of other busses from our ship at their stops, so I guess it was well planned as to who was stopping where. We also didn't have a full bus, so the rush for facilities probably wasn't as bad. 🙂

• Like 1

We left Budapest last night on Viking Vilhjalm and arrived this afternoon in Bratislava. No problems at all with water levels on the Danube. Some on our crew indicated smooth sailing to Passau as well. 

Along the river, one could tell the water level was much lower than normal. We saw many exposed sandbars and ample evidence of low water, but the main ship channel was fine. 

1 hour ago, jwohio said:

We left Budapest last night on Viking Vilhjalm and arrived this afternoon in Bratislava. No problems at all with water levels on the Danube. Some on our crew indicated smooth sailing to Passau as well. 

Along the river, one could tell the water level was much lower than normal. We saw many exposed sandbars and ample evidence of low water, but the main ship channel was fine. 

Do you go past Passau? That is usually where the water level problems start. Have a great cruise, we had perfect weather (well, a little on the hot side), no rain. Hope you do as well.

10 hours ago, jwohio said:

We never stopped in Bratislava.   Still not sure why.  It looked like a lovely town!  🙂 

1 minute ago, jwohio said:

We disembark at Passau and have been told the stretch between Passau and Regensburg is where the problems start. 

Bratislava was wonderful. Wish we could have had another day there. 

Yup, we turned around at Vilshofen going back to Passau, where we stayed over night.  The Vidar actually stayed there for 3 days waiting for the southbound pax to board. 

Hi everyone! Arrived in Budapest yesterday and having a lovely time during our pre cruise extension. We were informed upon arrival what the situation was and the plan is indeed to go to Komárno tomorrow and embark there. We will board the Magni instead of the Baldur. Original itinerary was Budapest to Amsterdam. We’ll just have to see what we get. 
I’m hoping some of my ship mates are here and say 👋👋
Viking has been very attentive and they seem to have a good plan in place. Taking it in stride and enjoying the journey. After all, I’m not at work and I’m not the one who has to drive the motor coach so life is good, lol. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, romanm said:

Hi everyone! Arrived in Budapest yesterday and having a lovely time during our pre cruise extension. We were informed upon arrival what the situation was and the plan is indeed to go to Komárno tomorrow and embark there. We will board the Magni instead of the Baldur. Original itinerary was Budapest to Amsterdam. We’ll just have to see what we get. 
I’m hoping some of my ship mates are here and say 👋👋
Viking has been very attentive and they seem to have a good plan in place. Taking it in stride and enjoying the journey. After all, I’m not at work and I’m not the one who has to drive the motor coach so life is good, lol. 

I expect you'll still make Amsterdam just have to switch ships again between passau/vilshofen and regensburg (or Nuremberg).

• Like 1

Hi Castlecritic, we are on the next boat up from Budapest on October 17.  Viking told me evening before your post that there was no report of having to start from Komarom, but looks like that is in the cards for sure, given trend just shown by notamermaid.  Did you spend the departure evening in Budapest, and then bus to Komarom the day you jouneyed to Bratislava?