Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

1 hour ago, FlossieC said:

Just had an email to say we will be on the Jasper in Amsterdam but no further info

Ah, a swap, meaning you will be sailing on the ship that is on the for you right side of the rivers and can pick you up in Amsterdam.

Hopefully by then things will have improved on the Rhine and you have a smooth sailing through Europe.

notamermaid

Oh my, this is a lot more water drama than I expected in December!  I guess this is the new normal.  I’m very sorry to hear about the situation with the Scenic Opal (though sadly it is not out of character for Scenic/Emerald in my experience) - glad to hear they were able to accommodate the reverse sailing on Jasper, anyway.  I get of course that they have less than zero control over the weather, but how they react in a situation like this is what makes all the difference.

I met some folks at the airport who were due to sail on AmaSonata out of Budapest tomorrow, but since she is still way upstream near Straubing that seems pretty unlikely, so I hope they had an alternate ship for them here.  I myself am due to board SS Maria Theresa tomorrow, and I am gratified to see that she is already here, and since we don’t have to pass beyond Vienna until Tuesday I hope that means the trips heading upstream this weekend will be able to make the full run.  I’m quite sure Uniworld will take good care of us in any case, and in the meantime I will continue to gorge myself on Goulash here in Budapest 🙂 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IMNiles said:

Oh my, this is a lot more water drama than I expected in December!  I guess this is the new normal.  I’m very sorry to hear about the situation with the Scenic Opal (though sadly it is not out of character for Scenic/Emerald in my experience) - glad to hear they were able to accommodate the reverse sailing on Jasper, anyway.  I get of course that they have less than zero control over the weather, but how they react in a situation like this is what makes all the difference.

I met some folks at the airport who were due to sail on AmaSonata out of Budapest tomorrow, but since she is still way upstream near Straubing that seems pretty unlikely, so I hope they had an alternate ship for them here.  I myself am due to board SS Maria Theresa tomorrow, and I am gratified to see that she is already here, and since we don’t have to pass beyond Vienna until Tuesday I hope that means the trips heading upstream this weekend will be able to make the full run.  I’m quite sure Uniworld will take good care of us in any case, and in the meantime I will continue to gorge myself on Goulash here in Budapest 🙂 

I was on AMASonata and they bussed us to Vienna from Straubing to ship swap with AMAVerde so that is what they will board.  AMAVerde is rafted together with the SS Maria Theresa so maybe you’ll see them when you board.  Hope you have a fantastic cruise.    

We looked at ours as an adventure - two trips for the price of one.   We are receiving 50% a future cruise from AMA, in addition to the wonderful care they took of us onboard and what they did to still give us a lovely vacation.  You can’t control the weather or the water levels, but you can control how you react to it.

• Like 3

The Danube is still too high for comfort - Pfelling is at 629cm, Passau at 687cm - but overall the situation is easing. It is getting colder again and there is little to no rain. It will get wetter again but more of that precipitation will fall as snow than it did last week.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Remember the barge called Achim? It broke into and sank in Geisling lock. The investgation has now revealed that the barge was not carrying to high a load so the accident had reasons.

I have just read that a barge has hit the the railway bridge at Regensburg. It happened around lunchtime and river traffic was halted. It was estimated that this would continue into the evening. Not sure if things have returned to normal there yet.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

have just read that a barge has hit the the railway bridge at Regensburg. It happened around lunchtime and river traffic was halted. It was estimated that this would continue into the evening. Not sure if things have returned to normal there yet.”

wow, that section of river can’t catch a break this week,  things seem well on the river downstream between Budapest and Bratislava,  water very high, and quite fast through Budapest, but traffic seems to be moving.  I’ve seen only sporadic traffic between Linz and Vienna, but hopefully that’s just a function of schedules and not water.

We are currently on the Scenic Amber and have docked at Linz today (from Melk)

we are supposed to dock in Regensburg tomorrow but there’s a very strong chance that we will end the trip at Passau as the river is still too high. 
we have been extremely lucky and mostly unaffected by the high waters. There are a lot of trees still underwater with large branches as debris in the water. 

Edited by rachiem
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Regensburg bridge seems to be fine. All sorted within eight hours according to the newspapers.

Passau gauge now at 627cm. Much more favourable for passing under the suspension bridge.

notamermaid

We won’t make it. Scenic have told us that it’s still impassable. Doesn’t make much difference to us as we fly from Munich on weds but the guest going to Nuremberg will have a longer journey. 
Bussing to Regensburg tomorrow, which is a short ride and have the added bonus of a few hours in Passau 

• Like 1

Passau gauge is at 581cm. We will likely see a figure over 600cm by early tomorrow morning. A rise to 700cm is very much possible on the 23rd.

Not fun what is happening in the British Isles and we are not looking forward to getting that weather here...

The flood warning map as of this lunchtime:

grafik.thumb.png.79b6c27233cfbff1084e327f1d8dff64.png

notamermaid

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Not fun what is happening in the British Isles and we are not looking forward to getting that weather here...

Now that Britain has withdrawn from the EU, why don't they ban the import of British weather? 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We have arrived in Passau to disembark tomorrow, and the water levels are indeed quite high.  Looking out the window at the shoreline down near the tip, all but the top three steps down to the Danube are covered.  Another foot or 18 inches and it will be lapping at street level.  It continues to rain.   In the hour or so I’ve been sitting here, the fourth step went from “in and out” to “consistently submerged.”  Here’s to hoping that Munich airport isn’t badly disrupted, or there is going to be a real mess.

• Like 1

Come come Jazz that would deprive us of all the delicious European goodies and them of ours. Live and let live. We’ve been twice to Europe since the split and we have three sets of friends who have taken the plunge as it were and have now purchased second homes in different European countries. Strange to say all three have reported back that it was more straightforward than when we were all entwined, how peculiar! 

Is it a case of can’t live with them but can’t live without them?

Edited by Canal archive