Can we buy 2 different drink packages?

KKB

I am having a hard time picking  myself up off the floor at the change in the MSC drink package prices since my last cruise with them. Minimum is $38 per DAY per PERSON. I'm only drinking water, sodas and the occasional cocktail, this is way too much, especially for days in port. Are ANY beverages free?? - sodas in the buffet area? I know there is coffee and tea available.

My cruisemate and I are not planning to go on a drunkfest, good grief...

Can we NOT purchase a drinks package and just pay as we go on the cruise card? 

All the travel agent has to say is "That's just the way it is now"....not impressed.

11 minutes ago, Vegancruzer said:

I am having a hard time picking  myself up off the floor at the change in the MSC drink package prices since my last cruise with them. Minimum is $38 per DAY per PERSON. I'm only drinking water, sodas and the occasional cocktail, this is way too much, especially for days in port. Are ANY beverages free?? - sodas in the buffet area? I know there is coffee and tea available.

All the travel agent has to say is "That's just the way it is now"....not impressed.

Absolutely. There is nothing to say you have to purchase one. If you pay as you go they will just swipe your cruise card and you will get a bill at the end. You can usually keep track that it's correct by looking on your tv each day. The account should be on there 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vegancruzer said:

Sodas are not free on most cruise lines.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, KKB said:

Sodas are not free on most cruise lines.

We've "run the numbers" and found a current drink menu with prices, decided to purchase drinks as we go. I found a video on Youtube that explained the levels and something I didn't consider - at the lowest level package you only get drinks priced to $6 or $7. My cruisemate reminded me how weak most of the drinks were last time. We only plan to have a cocktail or two occasionally, and a soda a day is enough for me. I think we'll be fine. Thanks!

On 1/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, Vegancruzer said:

I have never purchased a drinks package on the cruise. I get by with water, and juice with breakfast that is typically included. A few cruises I have purchased 1-2 drinks over the course of the week, making my total bill under $20, my husband typically purchases a drink with dinner.  Some cruises we have purchased $0 of drinks (especially when they let you carry on a 12-pack of soda which is enough for the week for me; unfortunately MSC doesn't allow this).  It just isn't necessary.  Except my all inclusive cruise, I have never been on a cruise with soda included.

You don't need the drink package.  But there are plenty of people for who $40 a day is a savings compared to paying for their drinks individually.  I know people who can easily drink 5+ sodas, 4-5 alcoholic drinks per day without "trying".  And then there are the people who "Try" to get their money's worth. If you are partying until 2 am or later each day, and then getting up at 8 am to start again, it isn't hard to stack it up.

Edited by skittl1321
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:10 PM, doones2 said:

My last cruise on RC, I did not get the drink package.  Not a big drinker.  I do like a dirty martini sometimes.  With a tip 2 of them cost $32.  Crazy prices.  MSC’s drink prices seem reasonable.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:00 PM, Vegancruzer said:

We've "run the numbers" and found a current drink menu with prices, decided to purchase drinks as we go. I found a video on Youtube that explained the levels and something I didn't consider - at the lowest level package you only get drinks priced to $6 or $7. My cruisemate reminded me how weak most of the drinks were last time. We only plan to have a cocktail or two occasionally, and a soda a day is enough for me. I think we'll be fine. Thanks!

Do you know where I can find the current drink prices? I'm trying to decide if the package makes sense. Thx!

On 1/31/2023 at 11:14 AM, skittl1321 said:

Some cruises we have purchased $0 of drinks (especially when they let you carry on a 12-pack of soda which is enough for the week for me; unfortunately MSC doesn't allow this).  It just isn't necessary.  

MSC does not allow and sodas/waters to be brought on board, either the drink package or pay as you go by individual drinks...

On 1/31/2023 at 11:14 AM, skittl1321 said:

You don't need the drink package.  But there are plenty of people for who $40 a day is a savings compared to paying for their drinks individually.  I know people who can easily drink 5+ sodas, 4-5 alcoholic drinks per day without "trying". 

Which cruise line has a drink package for 40 bucks a day? The Easy package on MSC is the only one that is close and it's a joke.  Well liquors and draft beer?  No thank you.  Luckily we have the easy Plus packaged in on our upcoming Meraviglia cruise.   Carnival, RCI, NCL, Princess, Holland America and Celebrity are all substantially higher. 

And I would never tell someone that they don't need to leave the ship to go on excursions, so please don't tell someone else that they don't need the drink package.  Different people vacation in different ways.  Having cruised the Caribbean over 40 times we primarily cruise on the newest ships that various lines offer and we stay on board.  And with the exception of the dynamic pricing policy of RCI, we always get the drink package, whether it's included on MSC, NCL, Princess or Celebrity or a la carte on Carnival via Cheers.