American Jazz Ready for Historic California River Cruises

Host Jazzbeau

Can anyone tell me the specific itinerary?  I would like to chase it by car along Hwy 160 in the California Delta, and would like to see the bridges lift on the Sacramento River...assuming it takes that route and not the Sacramento Deep Water Channel. Can someone tell me what time it departs Stockton on Day 3?  (That's the "Cruise California Delta" day). Also, I assume it will go via the Sacramento River (vs. the Deep Water Channel), because that means it will arrive into Old Town Sacramento, and the Tower Street bridge will have to lift. (If it were to take the Deep Water Channel, that ends in West Sacramento, and passengers would need to be bussed into Old Town). What time does it arrive Sacramento on Day 3?  (And what time does it depart on Day 4). If I can make a good video of it along Hwy 160 and its historic bridges that lift (I think there are four of them:  Isleton, Walnut Grove, Paintersville, and Freeport Bridges, plus the Tower Street bridge in Old Town Sacramento). I can share it all with you, and I'll put on YT.  Currently my plan is to chase it on its maiden voyage in February.  (I also will use the ship trackers, marinetraffic.com and cruisemapper.com to follow it).

https://www.americancruiselines.com/cruises/california-cruises/san-francisco-bay-cruise

22 hours ago, rms492rm said:

Can anyone tell me the specific itinerary?  I would like to chase it by car along Hwy 160 in the California Delta, and would like to see the bridges lift on the Sacramento River...assuming it takes that route and not the Sacramento Deep Water Channel. Can someone tell me what time it departs Stockton on Day 3?  (That's the "Cruise California Delta" day). Also, I assume it will go via the Sacramento River (vs. the Deep Water Channel), because that means it will arrive into Old Town Sacramento, and the Tower Street bridge will have to lift. (If it were to take the Deep Water Channel, that ends in West Sacramento, and passengers would need to be bussed into Old Town). What time does it arrive Sacramento on Day 3?  (And what time does it depart on Day 4). If I can make a good video of it along Hwy 160 and its historic bridges that lift (I think there are four of them:  Isleton, Walnut Grove, Paintersville, and Freeport Bridges, plus the Tower Street bridge in Old Town Sacramento). I can share it all with you, and I'll put on YT.  Currently my plan is to chase it on its maiden voyage in February.  (I also will use the ship trackers, marinetraffic.com and cruisemapper.com to follow it).

https://www.americancruiselines.com/cruises/california-cruises/san-francisco-bay-cruise

Speak to the ACL office.  They may have that information, and you might even have a chance to eat a meal on the ship.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:48 PM, rms492rm said:

I assume it will go via the Sacramento River (vs. the Deep Water Channel), because that means it will arrive into Old Town Sacramento, and the Tower Street bridge will have to lift. (If it were to take the Deep Water Channel, that ends in West Sacramento, and passengers would need to be bussed into Old Town).

I don't really know, but given Jazz's unfortunate (and expensive) encounter with a sand bar on its inaugural cruise, I bet they stick with the deeper water and accept the extra bussing.

Oh right, well even if it does take the deep water channel, the huge bridge at Rio Vista will have to lift, as that is before the junction of the deep water channel and the Sacramento River. Unfortunately, there isn't any real good spots to get somewhat close to that bridge as it lifts, and traffic on that highway 12 is super bad to begin with, add in the backup the bridge lift will cause will only make it difficult around that area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rio+Vista,+CA+94571/@38.1609372,-121.681904,14.75z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x808537ace8c753f3:0x69fa7cc5f0a9f9a9!8m2!3d38.1557502!4d-121.6913439!16s%2Fg%2F11f648fflk

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rms492rm said:

Oh right, well even if it does take the deep water channel, the huge bridge at Rio Vista will have to lift, as that is before the junction of the deep water channel and the Sacramento River.

Thanks for the Google link.  That is a beautiful steel bridge.  Zooming way in, there looks to be a pedestrian walkway that I'm thinking might be accessible from the Rio Vista fishing pier (or maybe the pier itself could be a good vantage point?).

Yes, you are correct, I did see that fishing pier, that is probably going to be my best bet. I was just hoping to be 'real' close to the lifting bridge. 

I'm still hopeful it will go up the Sacramento River (versus the Deep Water Channel), so I can see all four of these very historic bridges lift. As I mentioned, chasing the ship along Highway 160 would be very easy. I could get ahead of it, set up for each bridge, and continue on up.

For reference, here is a good link to the Delta Region bridges: https://visitcadelta.com/stories/delta-bridges/  (there are many more good links available).

Here is a sample video I found on the Rio Vista bridge in operation.

My daughter and I are booked on the first one of these cruises.  Looks like we are about 60% full.  She and I wanted to do something different so we chose this.  We are going to an Olive Grove when we go to Stockton.  I'm not thrilled with going to Stockton, but I will enjoy other parts of the voyage. It's a chance for the two of us to spend some time together.

Here is the itinerary for the first run.  Hope you get to follow us and enjoy seeing what happens.

image.png.bfce7a69d8ed14db752099e1ebac3c3b.png

• Like 2

Great, thanks for posting the timetable. This sort of changes my plans slightly, but not much. I'm curious why it would leave Stockton at 2am, I was hoping it would leave much later like 8 or 9am.

With this in mind, I estimate it will get to Rio Vista at 6 or 7am. This just means an earlier chase along 160 than I had hoped, but that's fine. In terms of arrival at Sacramento, that I think will work very well for me. I just hope it does go past the Tower Bridge so I can see that one lift. I am not too familiar with the Sacramento Riverfront, but the Delta King is there, so maybe it will dock next to it? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Delta+King+Hotel/@38.5814098,-121.5069251,16.75z/data=!3m1!5s0x809ad6cce89b94a7:0xd1a0392df5ad8dbc!4m9!3m8!1s0x809ad6cce8ffb845:0x774e2a64c16aa382!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d38.5826316!4d-121.5066574!16s%2Fg%2F1td9_ygm.

In terms of Stockton and the comments, unfortunately, Stockton has become a city with high crime, unemployment, and homelessness problems. Many parts of the city are considered unsafe. Here are some sample YouTube videos lists: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stockton+crime+homelessness

Edited by rms492rm
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

All right, almost ready. I have the rental car reserved and hotel. Staying at Elk Grove off of the 5. Will check out around 6am (hopefully I can get up early), and head south towards Isleton. I may not head all the way to Isleton or Rio Vista, depending on if I can get out by 6am, then chase it up along the River along 160/River Rd. For sure I can catch it at Walnut Grove, Paintersville/Courtland, and Freeport (and of course Old Town Sacramento). If any changes to the schedule, please let us know. If you see a guy and his wife filming, that's us. I hope the rain doesn't get too much in the way, expecting some rain that weekend.

Even if all else fails (ie, goes up the Deep Water Channel or changes/cancellations), I am still making the trip. This part of California looks really neat to explore.

If you are all on the ship, be sure to check out the bridges as they open. It is rare to see these bridges open. 

One more thing about Stockton....It isn't any more dangerous than other major cities. The usual common sense rules apply everywhere...stay out of sketchy areas, don't drive through unfamiliar neighborhoods, don't walk alone late at night, don't carry expensive cameras/jewelry/watches, etc. Use common sense like any other big urban city.

Capture.PNG

Edited by rms492rm

15 hours ago, Pfitzy said:

Cruise has been canceled due to strike at dock

Oh no.  I see the ship is still down at Pier 2, where it has been the past several days.  Could ACL not just contact pax, telling them to go to Pier 2 (or wherever)?  Half will be at Four Seasons, with buses ready to take them to ship.  What kind of strike?  Checking local SF news on internet, found nothing yet...

Edited by DaveinCharlotte
clarity

Either way due to the weather, I had to cancel!  The Grapevine (I-5) is experiencing heavy amounts of snow and they have closed the freeway, and will likely remain closed for a while.

I'll try next weekend to chase it.

Edited by rms492rm

On 2/24/2023 at 10:28 AM, rms492rm said:

Either way due to the weather, I had to cancel!  The Grapevine (I-5) is experiencing heavy amounts of snow and they have closed the freeway, and will likely remain closed for a while.

I'll try next weekend to chase it.

Tahoe had 87" more snow from Sunday to Tues, so much that all ski resports are closed. Imagine water levels are swift and high, so perhaps that is another reason for the cancelled trip.  

Have been checking Jazz position on Marinetraffic.com for many days; their transponder has always  been off -- last time I checked was a couple of days ago.  So suddenly now it's turned on -- I see it's docked at Tower Bridge near Capitol Mall.  Radical change in itinerary it appears. No idea what's going on.  Don't see how March 3 cruise could happen.

Right, I found this news story: 

It sounds like this was a test cruise, and the news said March 10 is the first 'official' cruise. Anyone on March 10, could the schedule be shared?  (or perhaps its the same as posted earlier?).  So yes March 3 has to be cancelled as well.

Edited by rms492rm