Information required!

pictonite

Our family is taking its first Royal Caribbean cruise late this year on the Jewel of the Seas.  I have severe allergies that RCI has told me they can accommodate, however they have asked me to consider selecting a set dining time so that we may have the same servers on a daily basis.  Before I make that request, I have two questions that I am hoping can be answered:

1. What are the set times for dining?

2. How many shows are presented nightly, and at what times?

( I have family who love to be entertained!)

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

I agree with the answers the other poster provided.

Have you downloaded the Royal Caribbean app?  Is so, you can also use the app to see what is happening on the Jewel cruise this week ( or other weeks that have an itinerary like yours).  Tap “browse our ships”, select Jewel, then select the sailing (the current sailing, for example).  You will be able to see what time the dining rooms are open, their menus, the shows and showtimes, etc.

• Like 1

I'm going to chime in and say you can still do My Time dining but book your dining times ahead of time so that they're "set", and then when you get onboard ask at the dining room that they schedule your table with the same servers every night.  This is what we've done on our cruises and it's never been a problem.

As others have said, if entertainment is a priority, the scheduled times will certainly give you a better oppurtunity to see every show.  The schedules for most things are built around those times.  I prefer MTD, but sometimes it makes it a challenge to work in things that are offered on the big ships that you can’t prebook.  On the Jewel it probably doesn’t matter as much.  

JC

Just notice that MTD on Jewel currently opens at 6:45 pm. When we were on board lines for MTD were often long (both with and without reservations), but that may vary by cruise.

Traditional dining times now are 5:15 and 8.  

Show times now typically are 7:15 and 9:15, which are fit traditional dining times well.  People who select MTD can either go to the early show then go to dinner after the show.  Or go to dinner and hit the late show.

I do not know when the OP is cruising; it is possible times could change by then, especially if Jewel changes embarkation port by then

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Just notice that MTD on Jewel currently opens at 6:45 pm. When we were on board lines for MTD were often long (both with and without reservations), but that may vary by cruise.

Traditional dining times now are 5:15 and 8.  

Show times now typically are 7:15 and 9:15, which are fit traditional dining times well.  People who select MTD can either go to the early show then go to dinner after the show.  Or go to dinner and hit the late show.

I do not know when the OP is cruising; it is possible times could change by then, especially if Jewel changes embarkation port by then

We are actually on the New Year's Eve cruise out of San Juan.  I really appreciate the responses - from what I can see, we can go with either MTD or set dining.  The Maitre'D should be able to help!  As a cruiser with many sailings with a variety of lines, I'm looking forward to a new experience.

We were on Jewel for the NYE cruise. We had early dining which said 530 but our seapass said 515 and they had a large sign out front that said doors were closing at 530. I think they’re trying to stop people from showing up too late that will affect MTD. the second seating said 800 pm.

the shows were at 715 and 915. We had no trouble getting to any show.

I think if you have allergies it’s a good idea to have the same servers every night.  

3 hours ago, pictonite said:

We are actually on the New Year's Eve cruise out of San Juan.  I really appreciate the responses - from what I can see, we can go with either MTD or set dining.  The Maitre'D should be able to help!  As a cruiser with many sailings with a variety of lines, I'm looking forward to a new experience.

As you have sailed other lines, I will tell you IMHO MTD in its current form on Royal is pretty poor compared to anytime dining on other lines.  Note that I like Royal Caribbean in general and sail the line frequently.  Every line has weaker points.  For Royal, I’d list IT and MTD as weak points…and maybe shoreside customer service if you get the wrong rep.

They may adjust the times when the ship moves from Port Canaveral to San Juan.  Different embarkation ports and different itineraries cause may cause them to make such adjustments.  Check the app after the ship actually moves to SJ to get a better idea.

It is your decision, but I also think the set dining with the same waiter is safer for a person with allergies, especially if the allergies are complex and/or severe.