Current Luminosa cruisers not being offered free coffee& tea in MDR after Dinner?

kwokpot

I participate in several Fb Luminosa groups and it seems there are lots of AUSTRALIANS that have cruised on the Luminosa claim they aren't being offered complementary coffee or tea after dinner. I'm wondering if Australian's infamous fussiness with the quality of their coffee is causing the dining room staff not to offer the complementary fresh brewed DRIP coffee since they know it's not up to Aussie standards? Anyone have any insight about this? They Austrlain cruisers see the charges for the premium coffees and teas on the app, and frist time cruisers don't know that there's free coffee at dinner AND the servers are not asking them if they want it. Strange, isn't it?

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor

Yes, it is. Even more so giving people no options for the free OJ in the MDR while pushing the (Fresh squeezed OJ). It's becoming a don't ask, don't serve training of the crew..😬

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 11:08 PM, lasekeye said:

We just got off the Splendor in Sydney.  On the MDR menue, it does state the prices for (fancy coffee & teas…with prices), but if you ask for regular coffee or tea it’s still free.

Thank you for the information. You have any speculation why there seems to be a disconnect on the Australian sailings with this? The occasional responses I get from other sources still seem to reflect some Australian passengers still not knowing about the free offerings, while others do. 

On 2/9/2023 at 1:08 AM, lasekeye said:

We just got off the Splendor in Sydney.  On the MDR menue, it does state the prices for (fancy coffee & teas…with prices), but if you ask for regular coffee or tea it’s still free.

Sounds like standard Carnival menus. Not sure what this is all about.

E.g. On page 3 from last month's Carnival Dream 1st night menu.

QR_MENU_D1-50-082022.pdf

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Sounds like standard Carnival menus. Not sure what this is all about.

E.g. On page 3 from last month's Carnival Dream 1st night menu.

QR_MENU_D1-50-082022.pdf 763.1 kB · 5 downloads

As I've said there are numerous reports of people who have cruised the Luminosa and not being notified of the free coffee or tea options. People are complaining about being charged $3.50AUD for a pot of tea. They aren't being  made aware of the difference between the pay options and the Complimentary options. 

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

As I've said there are numerous reports of people who have cruised the Luminosa and not being notified of the free coffee or tea options. People are complaining about being charged $3.50AUD for a pot of tea. They aren't being  made aware of the difference between the pay options and the Complimentary options. 

Carnival isn't doing anything different from here. This isn't on Carnival. How do these people even find the dining room?

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

It's the same thing that's happening in the US during afternoon tea and seaday brunch. Guests are being offered Art of Tea bags at afternoon tea, not being told Lipton is available free. And during seaday brunch folks ask for orange juice and they're just being served the $5 "pressed" orange juice instead of the included Donald Duck concentrated stuff...

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival isn't doing anything different from here. This isn't on Carnival. How do these people even find the dining room?

I agree with your incredulity which is why I've been asking the questions in various places. The results are pretty consist in that there's always a handful of people who respond that there's no free coffee or tea. 

Aussie cruisers are loving & paying for the Java Blue coffee shops which are on-board, Luminosa & Splendor. I have done 2 cruises since resumption here in Australia in October. I was asked most nights after dessert if I needed another drink of anysort. I declined.

ps:The automatic coffee machine on Lido deck never have long lines, as most Australians do like the stuff from coffee shops AKA Jave Blue. Me Its no difference just a Caffiene Hit, so I get Lido deck as it's free..

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Most of us here in Australia do actually find the dining room!

Just off our second Luminosa cruise of the season, and definitely asked for 'free tea and coffee' in the MDR even when not listed. Readily available.

I think with Luminosa being based out of Brisbane, many cruisers are new to Carnival as previous to this season we've only had Princess and 'P&O Australia ' home porting here in Brisbane. 

For the record, we love the Luminosa ship. Small size suits us. We were on it's maiden cruise as Carnival ship and again a week ago. And again next month. We will fly to Sydney in August/September to try Carnival Splendor out. As long-time Princess cruisers, we are enjoying the better value cruising that Carnival is offering us at the moment.

Feedback and reviews of Luminosa can be found on this forum under the 'Australia and New Zealand' section rather than the general Carnival section. 

• Thanks 1

We also got off Splendor and come to think of it, we weren't offered coffee or tea after our meal in Gold Pearl.  I remember they would usually come around with a box of speciality teas and ask if we wanted something like that but were given the opportunity to order the free tea or coffee at the end after dessert.  I don't much drink coffee or tea so I didn't think about the omission until this thread appeared.

I did notice that on our 11-night cruise, we never got the laundry promotion ($25 AUD) Carnival often run during the voyage.  I asked my stateroom attendant about it who got me a bag.  I completed it, filled it to within an inch of its physical limits and he took care of it.  Checked my account and sure enough, the promotional price of $25 AUD was charged.

I wonder if this is a tactic for reducing costs for Carnival in that staff don't offer free/discounted services or items if avoidable.

• Thanks 1