Antarctica: Fly the Drake or choose longer cruise with Falklands and South Georgia?

bubbulz

I recently booked my first SS cruise for the end of this year on the Endeavour, choosing a shorter cruise that avoids sailing the Drake. However, by doing so I won’t get to visit the Falklands or South Georgia. At the time I booked, my schedule at the end of the year wasn’t expected to be very flexible but that has changed, so I could do the longer cruise with the extra sea days if I choose to. I am still far enough out to switch to the other itinerary. They are both on Endeavor; the longer cruise is about a month earlier at the very start of the season. All and all, the cost is about the same for the two of them despite the significant difference in the length of the cruises (18 days vs. 6 days). 

My original choice was heavily influenced by the fact that I get seasick and had never actually been on an ocean cruise. But now that I’m thinking more about it I’m wondering if I am being foolish focusing on skipping the Drake and the sea days given that this is probably a once in a lifetime trip for me. 

I’d appreciate feedback, particularly from folks who have done cruises that included the Falklands and South Georgia. Thanks.

We have done both Antarctica only in December2021/January 22 and had mild to moderate Drake crossings (going a 5/10, returning 6/10) but for my wife and I taking Meclizine was all we needed to avoid Mal de Mar.  We also had Scopolomine patch presribed but did not need it. Have found with almost 500 days cruising, taking meclinze daily keeps seasickness away.  Am prone to Mal De Mer having fed the fishes while trying to dive the Speigel Grove in the Keys.

Have done the Falklands, South Georgia enroute to Capetown (Cape to Cape) voyage in March 2020.  I desciribe the difference using a baseball theme; visiting Antarctica is a Home Run, but visiting South Georgia is a Grand Slam. So much so, am doing the Cape to Cape itinerary again in 4 1/2 weeks again on the silver cloud.  The photos below somewhat show the difference, in Antarctica and South Georgia.   Almost chose the Endeavour next month to go even further in Antarctica (Deep South) for 18 days or choosing an Indian Ocena voyage as back to back on the Cape to Cape.  As the SVP for Destinations suggested to me, "you have been to Antarctica, the Indian Ocean is Spectacular."  And I would add, a visit to South Georgia is Spectacular as well, plus you will get to have a shot of Whiskey at the Boss's (Sir Earnest Shackelton's) grave site in Gryvitken (South Georgia).  If you change to South Georgia, recommend you read a book on the Endurance, the Boss's ship.  Here is a book on Sir Earnest I enjoyed:   https://www.amazon.com/Shackletons-Way-Leadership-Antarctic-Explorer-ebook/dp/B004IE9QPE/ref=sr_1_7?crid=C95XU1BR24M1&keywords=shackleton+book&qid=1674999780&sprefix=shackleton+book%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-7

328266344_875079497039782_6763606326876886848_n.jpg

260458500_269849498439092_4279993616910843389_n.jpg

317142191_2383319888485647_4579312315609391268_n.jpg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

Thanks, Wes. This is really helpful and confirms the way I am thinking. I am on smaller boats a lot and take Meclizine each morning on those days. I’ve also used the patch when I was sailing a lot but wasn’t crazy about the side effects (although it certainly beat being sick!). I also know that after the initial discomfort of the first few days I’ll get my sea legs and do better in general. (I, too, have dived the Spiegel Grove on some pretty rough days and fed the fishies on those days as well. 🤢)

Thanks for your feedback and the terrific photos!

• Like 1

I have done both S Georgia and Antarctica with Ponant a few years ago (pre Covid). This cruise was their 1st of the season and it is quite pristine and not as much penguin poo. It was truly beautiful although once was enough for me. I had been to the Falklands prior with a cruise around all of S. America.

Here are the Roaring Forties we encountered for 4 days getting to S. Georgia. Baguettes and wine helped us get our sea legs 😉

Waves.jpeg.c8e496a202ef6e0c3bb8d096c0d030ae.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

bubbulz - if you can only go once, then hands down I'd choose the longer itinerary with South Georgia. The wildlife there is spectacular, and different from what you'll see in Antarctica proper. Seeing both is even better than just seeing Antarctica.

We too have done separate cruises to Antarctica alone (2009) and Antarctica w/ South Georgia (2020). I did a trip report on the more recent cruise with pix and details from each stop. They are different enough that they complement each other nicely.

We have not been to the Falklands. Our South Georgia itinerary was fairly unique in that regard.

Also, I'd have some trepidation about the Antarctica Bridge itinerary. I don't know if you're aware, but just last week (on 1/24) there was a pretty significant issue w/ the flights. Apparently only 1 of the 3 planes made it to Antarctica to drop off pax. The other 2 had to turn back as the landing site was fogged in and not safe. So, 2/3 of the pax on last week's sailing didn't get to go at all. And the ones who stayed behind got a bonus week on board, since the next landing window is apparently tomorrow!

I'd take my chances with the Drake.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have done both S Georgia and Antarctica with Ponant a few years ago (pre Covid). This cruise was their 1st of the season and it is quite pristine and not as much penguin poo. It was truly beautiful although once was enough for me. I had been to the Falklands prior with a cruise around all of S. America.

Here are the Roaring Forties we encountered for 4 days getting to S. Georgia. Baguettes and wine helped us get our sea legs 😉

Waves.jpeg.c8e496a202ef6e0c3bb8d096c0d030ae.jpeg

And that is what I fear. But hey, you only live once, right? But seriously, weighing the pros and cons on this one is tough, especially since there's really no way to predict the conditions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

bubbulz - if you can only go once, then hands down I'd choose the longer itinerary with South Georgia. The wildlife there is spectacular, and different from what you'll see in Antarctica proper. Seeing both is even better than just seeing Antarctica.

We too have done separate cruises to Antarctica alone (2009) and Antarctica w/ South Georgia (2020). I did a trip report on the more recent cruise with pix and details from each stop. They are different enough that they complement each other nicely.

We have not been to the Falklands. Our South Georgia itinerary was fairly unique in that regard.

Also, I'd have some trepidation about the Antarctica Bridge itinerary. I don't know if you're aware, but just last week (on 1/24) there was a pretty significant issue w/ the flights. Apparently only 1 of the 3 planes made it to Antarctica to drop off pax. The other 2 had to turn back as the landing site was fogged in and not safe. So, 2/3 of the pax on last week's sailing didn't get to go at all. And the ones who stayed behind got a bonus week on board, since the next landing window is apparently tomorrow!

I'd take my chances with the Drake.

Thanks, and yes, I saw the recent issues with the flights and that is definitely another consideration to factor in. At this point I am just about to make the call to switch. (FWIW, there have been other 'once in a lifetime' trips I've taken that I've repeated as many as 7 times, so there's always a chance I'd be back. But always, there are no guarantees with life.)

• Like 1

We were on the same Antarctica Silver Cloud trip as WesW, and it was great, even with several excursions being cancelled or rerouted due to ice or swells as often happens on Antarctica cruises. It stopped at the Falkland Islands but not South Georgia. IMHO, the wildlife viewing in the Falklands for seals and penguins was as good or better than it was in Antarctica without the need to hike through ice and snow. We enjoyed that trip so much, we're taking the 18-day Wind voyage at the end of next year that includes Antarctica, the Falklands and South Georgia that we would have booked at the end of 2021 had the Wind then been ready to sail.

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 2

We just did the Falklands/South Georgia/Antartica trip a few weeks ago. The Falklands and South Georgia were quite different than Antartica, and we're extremely happy we waited an extra year (last year's similar trip was canceled) and paid the extra money for this longer cruise. The pictures Wes posted above and I'm including below from South Georgia give you a sense of it, but pictures can never fully capture the experience of standing on the Sailsbury Plain with tens of thousands of penguins. (And don't get me started on how cute the fur seal babies are!) 

image.thumb.jpeg.e16be170bd5f2295db384d5191c0518b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.857411e10aec3cfae1978792d69c08f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.29efef2520875286fbeba9c4239a0882.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4c95edcbc8a6521fcddbdb99bfabd476.jpeg

You'll see many penguins, and breathtaking scenery, in Antarctica, but it's not the same as what you'll see in South Georgia. After first becoming interested in doing a trip to Antarctica, after talking to some fellow passengers on a cruise about 5 years ago, we found that every person we subsequently talked to told us "you MUST do South Georgia Island." Well, we're now members of the cult: you must do South Georgia if you possibly can.

As for the Falkland Islands, that seemed to be something of a "throw in" that I really wasn't as passionate about before we went — but I was very pleasantly surprised. I could have skipped the stop in Port Stanley, the only town you'll visit on this cruise (unless you're really interested in the history of the war there). But our other our landings in the Falklands, at New Island and West Point Island, were excellent...

image.thumb.jpeg.5799646821a58d26b4f0a0edd6fad273.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.66cbf76f42c18cbb31c5ab1337696b48.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.faa4c03b569f70e1a025f54464504f0b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab1b0582a5c81e45aa21f8b9079b2f57.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.84225c8e6efaaf30b8d8ea1ebe2380e8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.365176108148bdbabbad32acb5da1931.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c5163428b078a8b66f5783345c41eca9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cceca325146c389f68d848f8f2c12642.jpeg

We were fortunate not to have had too rough weather going to or from South Georgia, and then from Antarctica back up across the Drake, but I think I would have endured one day feeling bad in return for the great things we got to experience in the Falklands and South Georgia Island. If you can, do it! 🙂 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Very well said regards Antarctica vis-a-vis South Geaorgia Eric and terrific snaps too (Especially of the wildlife).  Can’t wait to go back to South Georgia in about a month but first enjoy Carolina’s Tours by Locals Santiago tour.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

After first becoming interested in doing a trip to Antarctica, after talking to some fellow passengers on a cruise about 5 years ago, we found that every person we subsequently talked to told us "you MUST do South Georgia Island." Well, we're now members of the cult: you must do South Georgia if you possibly can.

This is essentially what has been happening with me. The more I heard and read, the more I felt that I needed to do the longer trip that included South Georgia at a minimum. Thank goodness I still have time to switch. Thank you for the wonderful photos!

• Like 1

I was on the Cloud on the 18 day holiday trip including the Falklands and South Georgia. I agree with all above about South Georgia being the highlight. The only difference I can share is that I am one of those 1 percenters who do get super seasick even with all of the above meds plus anti nausea, ginger, wrist bands etc. I visited the ship’s doctor 3 times for anti vomiting shots (phenergan) that worked wonders!  Even with as sick as I got, I would still absolutely recommend doing the itinerary with South Georgia and I would do it again in a heartbeat!  It’s very few days that you are in rough waters, the rest is protected and amazing. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sherylc said:

I was on the Cloud on the 18 day holiday trip including the Falklands and South Georgia. I agree with all above about South Georgia being the highlight. The only difference I can share is that I am one of those 1 percenters who do get super seasick even with all of the above meds plus anti nausea, ginger, wrist bands etc. I visited the ship’s doctor 3 times for anti vomiting shots (phenergan) that worked wonders!  Even with as sick as I got, I would still absolutely recommend doing the itinerary with South Georgia and I would do it again in a heartbeat!  It’s very few days that you are in rough waters, the rest is protected and amazing. 

Thank you so much! This is definitely reassuring. 

We were also on the recent Cloud 18 day Holiday cruise that went to the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica. I completely agree with the others. South Georgia was the highlight for us. I would not have wanted to miss it. I have attached our favorite S. Georgia photo, which is similar to what others have posted.

We did not get seasick. We did not take drugs but wore the new battery-powered reliefband product. Don't know if it worked, but know it didn't "not work". It probably helped that we were in a mid-ship veranda on deck 5, where the motion was much less than if you were in a higher and forward suite. I definitely recommend being low and in the center, either in a Vista on deck 4 or a Mid-ship Veranda on deck 5. If you are willing to pay for the veranda, I think it's worth it. I was told that when the seas are very rough the waves crash above the windows on deck 4 and you will feel like you are inside a commercial washing machine. 

south georgia 1.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bubbulz said:

Thanks, Wes. This is really helpful and confirms the way I am thinking. I am on smaller boats a lot and take Meclizine each morning on those days. I’ve also used the patch when I was sailing a lot but wasn’t crazy about the side effects (although it certainly beat being sick!). I also know that after the initial discomfort of the first few days I’ll get my sea legs and do better in general. (I, too, have dived the Spiegel Grove on some pretty rough days and fed the fishies on those days as well. 🤢)

Thanks for your feedback and the terrific photos!

I think it is a no brainer, take the meds with you and do the 18 day trip, Antartica is wonderful by South G is unbelievable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, labrasett said:

I think it is a no brainer, take the meds with you and do the 18 day trip, Antartica is wonderful by South G is unbelievable.

I agree. I’m glad that I posted the question here since it completely confirmed what I had been thinking about changing my booking. Now I am getting excited about the trip all over again and will have a month less to wait for it, assuming I get the dates I’m aiming for. Can’t wait to make the call tomorrow. 🐧

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alithecat said:

If you are willing to pay for the veranda, I think it's worth it. I was told that when the seas are very rough the waves crash above the windows on deck 4 and you will feel like you are inside a commercial washing machine. 

We paid for a standard Veranda Suite on our Cloud Antarctica trip, but we barely used the veranda except to take pictures--for us Floridians, it was simply too cold to spend much time there. It's an extra $10,000 total more for a Veranda Suite than a Vista Suite on our return trip next year--we're passing this time.

@taxatty I agree that we didn't used the veranda except for photos, and it's expensive. 

But another reason for having the veranda is if you get confined to your suite because of Covid (vs. being moved to the quarantine area at the front of deck 4), you'll at least be able to get some fresh air. And unfortunately there are still Covid cases on these cruise ships.

Yes, there still are COVID cases. We were on the November Cloud Antarctic voyage and, although fully vaccinated (some passengers weren't) we were quarantined for seven days and missed Port Stanley and South Georgia. To its credit Silversea refunded 7 days fare. For other reasons we were disappointed. We thought the expedition staff were not professional and there was a lot of disorganization not just with the expedition staff. We are toying with the idea of trying again next year on the Seabourn Quest. Longer cruise, less expensive and a ship (and staff) with which we have been well pleased in the past.

22 minutes ago, hoya68 said:

We are toying with the idea of trying again next year on the Seabourn Quest. Longer cruise, less expensive and a ship (and staff) with which we have been well pleased in the past.

Yes, always stick with those companies that you have been well pleased.

57 minutes ago, hoya68 said:

We thought the expedition staff were not professional and there was a lot of disorganization not just with the expedition staff. We are toying with the idea of trying again next year on the Seabourn Quest. Longer cruise, less expensive and a ship (and staff) with which we have been well pleased in the past.

@hoya68Interesting that we were on the Cloud a month later than you and found the expedition staff to be outstanding. I know we had a different expedition leader, but I don't think too many of the others changed between your cruise and ours. Maybe they got the hang of it with an extra month. 😉

The one thing to note about going on the Quest is that you'll get half as many landings. We love Seabourn and the Quest, but I would choose a smaller ship for Antarctica just so you can get off the ship a lot more. If you trust Seabourn more, they'll have both their new expedition ships in operation next year, so maybe consider the Venture or Pursuit. (I know... it's a lot more expensive.)