Tipping when staying in Haven suite

sldmh

5 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

BirdTravels:  I give $1 per drink to bar waiters, but I am not confident on what to leave in restaurants.  I cruise solo and typically dine solo (read my kindle).  I leave $3 in MDRs and $5 in specialty restaurants.  Is that too cheap?

Considering you are not obligated to leave anything at all then no, it's not too "cheap".

• Like 2

Also be aware, NCL has increased DSC for Cruises.

Haven and Suites is now $25.00 pp per day. So $50 per day for couple, more if traveling with kids.

DSC goes to waitstaff and those behind the scenes in the kitchens etc.

Gratuities are charged when purchasing packages before cruise, such as drink packages or specialty dining package. Tips are also added to spa services in the bill.

we always have a few specialty dinners, and have left nothing ( due to complete lack of service ) and one very memorable meal, $100.

This is why we tip for great service when cruising, not because it is considered required.

Last Haven cruise, Concierge had no idea who we were. Never needed his service and last day, while waiting to disembark, he asked if we were Haven guests.

We also bring thank you notes and extra envelopes with cash.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Another suggestion which applies everywhere not just in the Haven.  

When you first  meet  your steward, butler, etc., ask for their card.

Then you won't have to fumble around trying to remember their name when filling out  your post cruise survey.

Always a good idea.

I'm one of those who immediately after being introduced... have already forgotten the name, and then - THEN - I remember:  Right!  I *must* say, "Hello RUMPLESTILTSKIN!" right away out loud so I remember the name!

My bad... almost every single time... 😞 

GC

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

BirdTravels:  I give $1 per drink to bar waiters, but I am not confident on what to leave in restaurants.  I cruise solo and typically dine solo (read my kindle).  I leave $3 in MDRs and $5 in specialty restaurants.  Is that too cheap?

Waiters and bartenders are already compensated from the DSC and drink package gratuities that you already pay for, so no additional amount is "too cheap".

Haven butlers and concierges, as well as Splash Academy staff, are NOT compensated from the DSC, so a tip commensurate with how much you use their services is appropriate. The larger DSC in the Haven is for the additional restaurant staff (i.e. there are more waiters/diner in the Haven than MDR) and the larger rooms that stewards service.

Edited by palpieha
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Then you won't have to fumble around trying to remember their name when filling out  your post cruise survey.

That's a great idea.  I had not thought of that.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I learned to ask for business cards the hard way when I was working on the post cruise survey and couldn't remember certain names.  

Business Cards are a great idea.  We take a picture of them and their name tag.  

5 hours ago, disneydave said:

Business Cards are a great idea.  We take a picture of them and their name tag.  

We've taken pictures in the past- after we didn't have the names for our first survey - but I like the business cards as well 

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!   We are looking forward to this cruise that had to be put off due to covid and then moving.  This is my husband's 26 yrs in the Marines retirement cruise!   Finally getting a chance to celebrate and relax.  

• Like 4

On 1/29/2023 at 11:09 PM, sldmh said:

What is the normal tip amount for your butler when staying in a Haven suite?  I have read tons that tell you to tip them directly since they are not a part of the shared tips but not sure what the normal range is.    We have an upcoming 15 day cruise and I am making sure I have everything ready to go.

Thank you

There is no such ting as a normal, suggest, common, expected, or usual amount to tip.. There will be many OPINIONS on how much people tip and thinking that because they choose to tip that amount, others should as well.  The -->ONLY<-- right answer to any question about tipping is to tip anyone you want, any time you want, and amount you want and be done with it.  What others tip is irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, sldmh said:

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!   We are looking forward to this cruise that had to be put off due to covid and then moving.  This is my husband's 26 yrs in the Marines retirement cruise!   Finally getting a chance to celebrate and relax.  

Congratulations to your husband and you on his retirement.  Also a  great big thank you for his service and as an army brat thank you for yours also.

• Like 1

On a 12 day cruise, i tipped the butler $150, the concierge $50 and the Cabin Steward $100,  We did not overuse them and were not high maintenance.  I was unsure about to do for the Concierge as I know nothing of her remuneration.  We got to know her and she helped us on several occasionsand was always friendly and helpful.

Just be warned if you tell your butler you like something, be prepared to see a lot of it!

When I bought some wine ashore, he was crushed because I had not asked him if he could get some onboard!

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 11:10 AM, RocketMan275 said:

You mean a business card? 

7 hours ago, sldmh said:

Thank you for your service sir!  Enjoy your well-earned cruise!

Elvis

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sldmh said:

This is my husband's 26 yrs in the Marines retirement cruise!   Finally getting a chance to celebrate and relax.  

Hope you and your husband have a well-deserved wonderful cruise.    Thank you both for your service to our country.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sldmh said:

This is my husband's 26 yrs in the Marines retirement cruise!   Finally getting a chance to celebrate and relax.  

Navy sends Marine Corps its respects!

I wish you both the most idyllic of cruises.  I retired after twenty-seven years in harness, and even though my wife and I had always wanted to go on cruises (for me, the kind that weren't "haze grey and underway") and we had the wherewithal to do so, we kept putting it off.  Until I finally decided we had to do it before we got too old to totter up the brow.  Now, we've generally got our next cruise booked before we go on the one coming up.

We hope you and your husband find the experience just as enjoyable.

As to the tipping issue, your question is asked and answered times ten on the NCL boards.  As you've concluded, the answer is you do what feels right to you.  Whatever amount you choose to bestow will be appreciated by the recipients.

Fair winds to you both!

• Like 2

Rightly or wrongly on our last NCL cruise we didn’t leave our Butler a tip at all. In the whole 10 days we were aboard I think we saw him about 3 or 4 times max and he never asked if we needed anything booking or anything for the room (it was just after Covid so maybe they were short staffed though they were only running a half capacity) 

The young guy (Teddy) that was running the Haven courtyard however was amazing. Remembered our names and what we liked. My youngest son was revising for his GCSE’s at the time and spent quite a bit of time studying in the room if we were at sail and he drop him off little treats to check he was ok. He received a generous and well deserved tip. The servers in the bar also reserved tips on each drink (just a dollar but it soon mounts up for them) and my veuve cliqout was always poured literally as we walked through the door.

I refuse to be dragged into the you must tip group especially as the NCL’s own guidance states it is in recognition of service 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

I refuse to be dragged into the you must tip group especially as the NCL’s own guidance states it is in recognition of service 

I'm not going to go over the same gratuity territory that can be read on other threads.  It's fair to say that, no matter how one decides to tip---in advance, following service, or not at all---your sentiment above should be the defining principle.  That's why I entreat that one should tip (or not tip) according to what feels right to oneself.

Every butler is not going to provide stellar, or even adequate, service.  There's been enough accounts of that.  Not tipping in those instances is, in its own way, a "recognition of service".

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tip what you feel is right

There is no set amount which is too little or too large. But do bring cash and tip according to service. As someone said the level of service you get from each individual varies as well as how often you use them. 

Remember leaving several  hundred for a 14 day cruise to the butler who went up and beyond.  The conceriage got $20 for basically nothing  and then nothing for the following year.   She spent her entire time smoozing the suite breakfast for tips. She would not help with changing one dinner reservation or getting us on the wait list for an excursion so I did it myself.   She basically got what she deserved.  

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 3:57 PM, sldmh said:

Semper Fi Jarhead. 

8MTBN
2D FSSG FMFLant
Camp LeJenue, NC 28542
1977-1981

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 3:57 PM, sldmh said:

Thank you both for your sacrifices you have made.  Could you please email me at the email in my signature I would like to donate a small gift for you while you're onboard your cruise.