On-Ship Massage , How to Politely, yet Firmly, Decline Additional Offers?

LEMJMcC

honestly, I know, I KNOW the staff must try to sell products and they are working to make money.  I get that.  But every facial I have had, and they were good.. results in a sales pitch.  Many folks like me write on the intake forms.. no sales pitch... still get them.  Say "no thank you to everything you are going to try to sell me", and even say "stop it".. they continue... we all have had them. 

This is my vacation week and I don't need that stress and BS.  There are spa's all around me at home which if they do this, I don't return and frequent the ones that work with me.  

So I am saying avoid the spa, it's overpriced from home and just an irritant at the end, why pay for that?

Edited by nimbex1970
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

honestly, I know, I KNOW the staff must try to sell products and they are working to make money.  I get that.  But every facial I have had, and they were good.. results in a sales pitch.  Many folks like me write on the intake forms.. no sales pitch... still get them.  Say "no thank you to everything you are going to try to sell me", and even say "stop it".. they continue... we all have had them. 

This is my vacation week and I don't need that stress and BS.  There are spa's all around me at home which if they do this, I don't return and frequent the ones that work with me.  

So I am saying avoid the spa, it's overpriced from home and just an irritant at the end, why pay for that?

Well, I enjoy going to the spa for a massage and I usually can pick up a special that isn't a whole lot more than what I pay at home.

I don't mind the sales pitch as long as they take no for an answer the first time.  I've never had to get past that point, but if it did, I would just grab my clothes, say "I'm out of here," and go to the restroom to change .After that, I would probably go to the receptionist, tell them what happened, and then reduce my tip.

But, I'm not easily intimidated and it wouldn't bother me at all to do that.

I went to the spa once, for the purpose of using some non refundable OBC. I had a lovely facial. And afterwards, she gave me a list of recommended products. I was not interested in being "upsold," and  told her I was not going to buy them that day, maybe I would come back before the end of the cruise to purchase, if I had any OBC left. She did not persist. 

I have no problem saying no. What bothers me is when they don't "accept" your no, and keep pushing. Fortunately that was not my experience in this case.

Side note - Although I loved the products, I did not go back and purchase onboard. I kept the recommended list, and purchased them after I got home.