Europe cruise October 2023

travelfool123

I'm going on a 10 day Greek Isle cruise October 18.  I'm spending 2 days in Rome before the cruise.  I'm catching the train to the port after my stay.  My travel agent said the train station is across the street from the port.  I assume I can walk there lugging my suitcase.  Any comments?  Also, I know the euro exchange fluctuates but I wonder how much I should take (Euros) while I'm in Rome before and also while I'm at the ports during the cruise.  Thanks for any recommendations.

Many of your purchases will likely be using credit card. But getting 100 euros at an ATM in country won't hurt anything.

A quick look around the board, or at Google Maps shows the train station at Civi to be a short walk away...6-8 blocks, not across the street. As frequently mentioned here, it is walkable, or there is a bus for 2 euros (I think), which will take you from the station to the gate of the port. You may be able to walk to your terminal, or take a free shuttle bus within the port, depending on which terminal you are at.

2 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

I'm going on a 10 day Greek Isle cruise October 18.  I'm spending 2 days in Rome before the cruise.  I'm catching the train to the port after my stay.  My travel agent said the train station is across the street from the port.  I assume I can walk there lugging my suitcase.  Any comments?  Also, I know the euro exchange fluctuates but I wonder how much I should take (Euros) while I'm in Rome before and also while I'm at the ports during the cruise.  Thanks for any recommendations.

Your travel agent is incorrect. The port entrance is about a 30 minute walk from the Civitavecchia train station along a road that parallels the coast. That's not a short walk for those toting significant luggage. If you're just sporting a small roller bag, it's manageable.

There is a bus you can pick up at the train station that will take you to the port entrance; I believe the cost is 2 euros. Then you will board a free port shuttle that will take you to your ship.

Keep in mind that there is no one helping you handle your luggage -- not on the train or on the buses. 

And speaking of euros, it's really difficult to provide any kind of reasonable estimate without knowing what you plan to do. Private tours may require payment in cash. Most museums, attractions, restaurants, etc. allow payment via credit card (which also nets you the best exchange rate in general).  Some taxi drivers strongly discourage payment other than cash; if in doubt ask before you get in if they will accept a card.

I would add up your known expenses and then pad it by anywhere from 50-100 euros. Are you taking an ATM card that you can use to "top up" with cash?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Your travel agent is incorrect. The port entrance is about a 30 minute walk from the Civitavecchia train station along a road that parallels the coast. That's not a short walk for those toting significant luggage. If you're just sporting a small roller bag, it's manageable.

There is a bus you can pick up at the train station that will take you to the port entrance; I believe the cost is 2 euros. Then you will board a free port shuttle that will take you to your ship.

Keep in mind that there is no one helping you handle your luggage -- not on the train or on the buses. 

And speaking of euros, it's really difficult to provide any kind of reasonable estimate without knowing what you plan to do. Private tours may require payment in cash. Most museums, attractions, restaurants, etc. allow payment via credit card (which also nets you the best exchange rate in general).  Some taxi drivers strongly discourage payment other than cash; if in doubt ask before you get in if they will accept a card.

I would add up your known expenses and then pad it by anywhere from 50-100 euros. Are you taking an ATM card that you can use to "top up" with cash?

Yes on the matter of station to cruise port the TA is a mix of incorrect and out-of-date.

The port used to be a pleasant 10-15 minute waterfront walk when its entrance was at the nearest point, by a little castle - easily walkable even with rolling luggage.

But the port entrance is now further along the waterfront so - especially with luggage - it makes sense to take the bus or a taxi.

At the new pot entrance you take a free port bus to your ship - I don't recall if taxis are permitted in the port but if they are your taxi from the station can drop you right by the ship

JB 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I will be taking a card.  I'll talk to my bank beforehand.  Just a little stressed about the transportation from train station to port.  My travel agent should know these things!  I don't want to stress on my vacation!  

17 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

I will be taking a card.  I'll talk to my bank beforehand.  Just a little stressed about the transportation from train station to port.  My travel agent should know these things!  I don't want to stress on my vacation!  

You can take a shared shuttle directly from your hotel in Rome to your ship for 80-90 euro for 1-2 people if you want to avoid the hassle. A private driver is more, around 130-140 euro for the trip. 

Not as cheap as the train, but no stress.

Edited by cruisemom42

45 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

It is not possible to know everything about everything related to travel. 

• Like 1

Word of extra care….2019 last cruise pre Covid I had my local bank get my all the euros prior to the cruise for all our private tours and extra pocket money…worked fine but I was annoyed at the fees….fast forward to this past fall, land trip to Ireland I had confirmed with bank ATM would work overseas alerted them to our dates and country…Nothing, multiple attempts, different banks, calls, NOTHING. For the most part we had it work with credit credits and cash until a kindly hotel owner took pity on my tale of woe and let me add a small sum to my bill and provided cash. Lesson learned I will pay the fee at home.