Transportation to Rome

Giantfan13

WE will be arriving Civi via cruise ship in May and we need some form of transportation to Rome, NOT by train. We are 2 seniors who don't do well schlepping luggage and would probably require some sort of van service. (I don't think we could afford a private transport).

Last time we stopped in Civi for a day, several years ago, I believe there were many taxi's or vans at the cruise port, looking to take people to Rome, Florence etc. Is this still true or have things changed and I would need to reserve something in advance? And so they take you right to where you are staying or to a central point, like the train station?

Thanks for any info and help'

Cheers

Len

Hi Len, 

Only taxis/cars/vans with prebooked passengers are allowed into the port itself. It would be unlikely that you could pick up a ride without getting to the port entrance (there is a free port shuttle but you have to load/unload your own bags). 

The least expensive shared shuttle rides are around 80-90 euros for 2 people and if you reserve in advance you will be met just outside from where you pick up luggage and will be taken to your hotel. Sometimes you may share with up to four others. (Likely on a busy port morning.). But sometimes you may luck out and get a private ride.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Len, 

Only taxis/cars/vans with prebooked passengers are allowed into the port itself. It would be unlikely that you could pick up a ride without getting to the port entrance (there is a free port shuttle but you have to load/unload your own bags). 

The least expensive shared shuttle rides are around 80-90 euros for 2 people and if you reserve in advance you will be met just outside from where you pick up luggage and will be taken to your hotel. Sometimes you may share with up to four others. (Likely on a busy port morning.). But sometimes you may luck out and get a private ride.

I was looking on Trip Advisor and there seem to be several vans or shuttles that will take say a group of 8 to the airport for about 200 euro which would be about 50 euros per couple which doesn't sound bad at all. Is something like this a viable option if we can get a group together?

Cheers

Len

2 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

I was looking on Trip Advisor and there seem to be several vans or shuttles that will take say a group of 8 to the airport for about 200 euro which would be about 50 euros per couple which doesn't sound bad at all. Is something like this a viable option if we can get a group together?

Cheers

Len

Yes, but keep in mind that going to the airport usually just means one stop. If you're looking at putting together a group to be dropped off at various Rome hotels, they may be a slight upcharge for the additional stops/driving time.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:56 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, but keep in mind that going to the airport usually just means one stop. If you're looking at putting together a group to be dropped off at various Rome hotels, they may be a slight upcharge for the additional stops/driving time.

As of now, the group I am trying to get together with all are either going to the airport or staying at one of the Hiltons at the airport, so it might work.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

As of now, the group I am trying to get together with all are either going to the airport or staying at one of the Hiltons at the airport, so it might work.

Cheers

Len

To be clear, there is only ONE Hilton at the airport. The Hilton Garden Inn is not at the airport.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

To be clear, there is only ONE Hilton at the airport. The Hilton Garden Inn is not at the airport.

It is at the airport in the sense of being in the vicinity (like most airport hotels). But it is not connected. The shuttle ride is about 10 minutes tops.

Besides the previously mentioned "RomeinLimo" we would toss "Romecabs" into the mix.  Either of these reputable companies will provide folks with transfers, tours, or both.  There is something to say for being met (at the port) by a driver (holding a sign with your name) and nice clean car.  Both companies have decent web sites where you can find prices, suggested tours, or simply use to contact the companies to discuss options.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ihate2cruise said:

Is the 140 a good price??

Good?  Probably not.  But it is reasonable considering the current market.  Having used the train (a number of times) we can understand not wanting to use that option when one has luggage.

Hank

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here is one I used last October:  https://sharedshuttle.it/

Searching this forum should yield other names.

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Good?  Probably not.  But it is reasonable considering the current market.  Having used the train (a number of times) we can understand not wanting to use that option when one has luggage.

Hank

This is our first Med Cruise and with all of the stops....just feeling a bit overwhelmed reading all the feedback of helpful information on these boards.

Sometimes it's just easier to ask my question, even at the risk of being told to search the forum. Believe me I have... the more I read, the more confused I seem to get. 

Thank you for your kind feedback, it is truly appreciated  🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ihate2cruise said:

Sometimes it's just easier to ask my question, even at the risk of being told to search the forum. Believe me I have... the more I read, the more confused I seem to get. 

I'm sure it seems overwhelming. It's just that per CC rules we are only allowed to recommend agencies/tours etc. that we have actually used. So I can't recommend other agencies that I may have read about, I can only direct you to also read about them....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ihate2cruise said:

This is our first Med Cruise and with all of the stops....just feeling a bit overwhelmed reading all the feedback of helpful information on these boards.

Thank you for your kind feedback, it is truly appreciated  🙂

Glad I’m not the only one who has felt confused but keep at the research and you will eventually feel not as confused and overwhelmed.  Our first Med cruise in May and more than once have I walked away from the laptop, poured myself a drink and decided I was completely over it, what have I gotten us into.  Sometime not thinking about the planning for a few days will help clear your mind and give you a fresh perspective and try only tackling one part of your trip per day.  That’s what I did and it helped me finish planning and booking, along with the valuable info given by the well seasoned travelers on CC.  I’m now down to the ports we are DIY and feel pretty good about the choices made for our trip so far.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Glad I’m not the only one who has felt confused but keep at the research and you will eventually feel not as confused and overwhelmed.  Our first Med cruise in May and more than once have I walked away from the laptop, poured myself a drink and decided I was completely over it, what have I gotten us into.  Sometime not thinking about the planning for a few days will help clear your mind and give you a fresh perspective and try only tackling one part of your trip per day.  That’s what I did and it helped me finish planning and booking, along with the valuable info given by the well seasoned travelers on CC.  I’m now down to the ports we are DIY and feel pretty good about the choices made for our trip so far.  

Thank you, your words are encouraging.

• Like 1

As one who has embraced and practiced DIY travel (on and off cruises) for decades I would just offer our own philosophy that has served us well in most parts of the world.  Do your pre-cruise homework/research and know your options!  But, in many cases you do not need to make final DIY decisions in advance.  Many of our best days have happened because we maintained our flexibility and made decisions "on the fly."  

I should add that we have often learned a lot by simply socializing onboard our cruises.  Many times, we have reevaluated our port day ideas, based on what we would hear while sharing a large table at dinner, having cocktails with another couple, etc.  Fellow cruisers (and travelers) are a terrific source of information.

Hank

• Like 2

Hlitner, I love the idea of winging it and going with the flow but hubs on the other hand likes to have a little bit of a plan, especially traveling so far from home.  You are correct about learning things about ports just by chatting it up onboard and we’ve made some very nice friendships by doing so.  

On 3/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, S148TOY said:

I just booked with them, very easy to do online picking your hotel and time, €80 per couple payable to driver. +39 345 5190277

We booked with them as well a couple weeks ago—airport to hotel; hotel to port;  port to airport. Thought their rates were extremely reasonable and they were quick to answer my questions 

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, S148TOY said:

I just booked with them, very easy to do online picking your hotel and time, €80 per couple payable to driver. +39 345 5190277

On 3/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, rg123 said:

We booked with them as well a couple weeks ago—airport to hotel; hotel to port;  port to airport. Thought their rates were extremely reasonable and they were quick to answer my questions 

When are your trips? How soon in advance do you suggest booking?

46 minutes ago, ihate2cruise said:

When are your trips? How soon in advance do you suggest booking?

Our trip is Oct 2023. We perhaps could have waited, but I wanted to make sure all our ducks were in a row. Lots to arrange when going abroad and making airline, hotel, and tour arrangements. I am a little bit of a nervous Nellie and hate to leave things to the last minute or to chance.