New 30-minute pool lounger save policy instituted on the Splendor

-Lew-

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 6:16 PM, -Lew- said:

A new 30-minute pool lounger save policy was instituted on the Splendor February 1st.  Items left on a lounger or sun bed longer than 30 minutes are subject to removal to a table near the pool bar.

The policy is effective as sun beds became available regularly throughout the day today.

I was told by an officer this is slated to become a fleet-wide policy.

While it is shame that a rule is necessary, I am happy to see that they are dealing with it.

2 hours ago, caviargal said:

While it is shame that a rule is necessary, I am happy to see that they are dealing with it.

Agreed, but laws/rules are put in place for the worst people in a society.  If everyone followed the golden rule we wouldn't need laws or jails.  

• Like 3

On 2/2/2023 at 6:16 PM, -Lew- said:

A new 30-minute pool lounger save policy was instituted on the Splendor February 1st.  Items left on a lounger or sun bed longer than 30 minutes are subject to removal to a table near the pool bar.

The policy is effective as sun beds became available regularly throughout the day today.

I was told by an officer this is slated to become a fleet-wide policy.

Great to hear about that it is in effect on Splendor - BUT - definitely not in effect on Navigator.  Just got off last week and had an unscheduled sea day - the chair hogs were out in force - empty - but "claimed" chairs everywhere (in the shaded areas).  I mentioned it to the Assistant CD, the Head Concierge, and another officer - why were they not enforcing the existing Regent Policy - and why put a guest in the position of enforcing it (which I did not - but was tempted)?  No explaination and no action on Navigator.  Oh, and the cruise was great.

12 minutes ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Great to hear about that it is in effect on Splendor - BUT - definitely not in effect on Navigator.  Just got off last week and had an unscheduled sea day - the chair hogs were out in force - empty - but "claimed" chairs everywhere (in the shaded areas).  I mentioned it to the Assistant CD, the Head Concierge, and another officer - why were they not enforcing the existing Regent Policy - and why put a guest in the position of enforcing it (which I did not - but was tempted)?  No explaination and no action on Navigator.  Oh, and the cruise was great.

When you say "no explanation"....did they simply not reply?

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

When you say "no explanation"....did they simply not reply?

Correct - got the deer in the headlights look - a polite "oh" - and when I suggested that it should be mentioned in the daily "brief" from the CD and highlighted in the daily Passages -  there was no response to my pointing it out and never heard about it again.  It was as if they never heard of this issue before.

16 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Agreed, but laws/rules are put in place for the worst people in a society.  If everyone followed the golden rule we wouldn't need laws or jails.  

Which is exactly my point.  I would expect this behavior on mass market ships but not on a luxury line.

1 hour ago, caviargal said:

Which is exactly my point.  I would expect this behavior on mass market ships but not on a luxury line.

You would hope so but there are people who act like this in all walks of life. Sometimes the so called privileged are the worse when it comes to common sense and common courtesy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, caviargal said:

Do you think the people on Regent are nicer or more honest than people who pay less for a cruise....simply because people on Regent choose to pay more?

16 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Do you think the people on Regent are nicer or more honest than people who pay less for a cruise....simply because people on Regent choose to pay more?

I  think it is more the idea that I would expect people on Regent to be more mature, polite and  sophisticated in their behavior.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I  think it is more the idea that I would expect people on Regent to be more mature, polite and  sophisticated in their behavior.

Because they are older than passengers on other lines? Or because they choose to spend more money? Those are the two largest defining characteristics of Regent clients. 

I am not trying to argue...just trying to say that a particular age group or a particular spending habit doesn't mean a person is more mature, polite or sophisticated. The vast majority of people I have met on Regent are WONDERFUL...but the same holds true for those I have met on RCL or Celebrity or HAL. People are people and some of the kindest, most giving people I have ever met are those with the least to give.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, caviargal said:

I find this often mentioned analogy offensive. It seems to me that when derision is aimed at non "luxury" lines, in reality it is more like a "not our kind, dear" type of comment. I was always taught that money doesn't know who owns it. I had thought that this CC board had gotten over this theme the past couple of years.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Because they are older than passengers on other lines? Or because they choose to spend more money? Those are the two largest defining characteristics of Regent clients. 

I am not trying to argue...just trying to say that a particular age group or a particular spending habit doesn't mean a person is more mature, polite or sophisticated. The vast majority of people I have met on Regent are WONDERFUL...but the same holds true for those I have met on RCL or Celebrity or HAL. People are people and some of the kindest, most giving people I have ever met are those with the least to give.

It is that RSSC has far fewer passengers, very few children, does not cater to groups who may to all sit together, etc.  I know from experience in staying at five star hotels that the ability to afford something is not at all indicative of polite behavior or sophistication. 

I didn’t want to tell this story, while I was still on the Explorer, but talk about a chair hog couple.  DH, goes to pool around 10,  all chairs in the back row are spoken for,  no problem he found one in the second row in the shade.  I appeared at 11, but the only one I could find was on the other side.  See you later.  

However,  there were three double lounges behind him, that stayed empty for the hour he was there.  From 11-1 I walked the deck looking for a spot for both of us.  I had my eye on one lounger that from 10 - 12:30 never had a butt in it.  Finally at 1 with the pool attendant with me,  I asked if anyone had seen anyone at these seats and got a very non answer (didn’t want to get involved - I get it).  The pool attendant removed their stuff and my husband joined me.   At 1:05,  the wife stormed pass the lounge speaking loudly about us stealing the chairs and marches to pool grill.  We ignored her and didn’t look up.   A few minutes later the husband appears and tries to get us into this discussion.  We told him that the attendant had removed the items it appears.   

The best part was after he put his stuff down in front of us while he was still pissed,  a double lounge opened up!  He moved his stuff to that and than joined his wife for lunch.  After lunch,  dessert, a romp in the pool at 3:30 they left the pool area.  They never sat in those seats either.  They just expected and wanted those seats.  It was quite the fun lesson in human nature.   I will say,  after that day,  they stopped taking those seats and not sitting in them, so I think they got the idea it wasn’t a great look.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Irishwitchy just goes to show there are selfish and entitled people in all walks of life. It would be good if Regent could be more proactive in identifying the 'culprits' however, if they don't have the staff to do so then the least that should happen is that when a 'hogged' chair is brought to their attention they either put a warning note on the chair or just remove the stuff BUT I do think it needs to be someone fairly senior who supervises this as these are the sort of people who would put a complaint in about the poor member of staff.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 8:11 AM, caviargal said:

I haven’t cruised on a mass market cruise line in years, but unfortunately this behavior is nothing new aboard Regent ships

As this thread's OP I should add for the information of those on other Regent ships who are not finding the same level of adherence to the 30-minute policy the following:

- My contact onboard the Splendor and the person who went to bat for those of us who felt there should be some sort of lounger non-reservation policy was the Food and Beverage Officer.

- In addition, the Beverage Manager, who was almost always on the pool deck during the day, enforced the policy.

- Bar and other pool deck staff tracked the time loungers became vacant and cleared personal items when more than 30 minuted passed.  Sometimes this didn't happen immediately at the 30-minute mark because they had other jobs to do, but it happened within a reasonable timeframe.

As you might expect, those returning to find their personal items had been moved became quite indignant and to a person were unable to state accurately how long they had been gone.  60 minutes became 30 minutes...75 minutes became 31 minutes...it was really quite funny.  For some reason they always wanted to argue with the current occupant of the loungers; referring them to the posted Regent policy and the staff worked best.

Edited by -Lew-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler Alert as to (possibly) a Jumping the Shark analogy. 

Consider (nod to "Twilight Zone's" Rod Serling) if you will--analogy between CHAIR HOGS and the human condition one will encounter when on either a "Mass Consumable" 3,500+ passenger cruise; or a 5+ "all-inclusive" Regent segment offering potential interactions with no more than, at 100% occupancy, 490 (Navigator) to 746 fellow-travelers on the newer, and newest ships. 

Been on many of the mega-ships over the past 27 years; and, with exception of Splendor, all Regent vessels.  That Splendor opportunity was scuttled on March 12, 2020 due to onset of the COVID shut-down while we were at Regent's San Diego hotel awaiting next-day's boarding.

First, second Yankeeclipper1's Post 106 suggestion that the Cruise Director's daily Noon update include a very-specific announcement "reminder" as to the already-posted "Passages" messages, plus Pool Deck placards. But, in the context of that glass being half, or more full, rather than the opposite by commenting on how guests have been adhering to posted time limits. 

Even more effective would be that the Captain's Noon Announcement make reference to this requirement--as a lead-in to the Cruise Director's remarks which follow.  And, that a Ship's Officer accompany any Deck attendant when removing that book, hat or similar item to "Table of Shame" adjacent to Pool Bar.  

Second:  Repeat my Thread # 6 and #56 comments as to avoiding direct physical contact with a miscreant.  Results cannot result in anything positive to any combatant.

Third--and analogy.  "Hell is other people".  

That line is from Jean-Paul Sarte's "No Exit" 1944 Play.  How's about being on a cruise with the three protagonists?  At-least two of the three would be arguing, amongst other matters, on occupying a Pool Deck Lounge Chair.  Again, acknowledge a stretch.  

First saw "No Exit" at Seattle in the mid-1960s.  At Seattle University--a Jesuit institution.  The Priest who promoted same did his PhD Philosophy Dissertation on an aspect of Sarte's Existentialistic take on the human condition.  Quite jarring to us undergraduates.  Which was, exactly, what that Jesuit wanted to convey. 

Do a Google. 

Stay safe, and see some of you this May at NYC when boarding Navigator. 

GOARMY!

On 2/11/2023 at 2:01 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

but a 7-day might be a bit livelier for someone younger.

We were on that cruise with you, and the one right afterwards that was 7 days. And, yes, a *much* different, livelier, vibe on the 7 day cruise. Enough so I’m not sure I’d book one again on a high-end line like Regent.