What was your recent experience on an upsell offer with HAL?

tuolumne couple

20 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

So we use a big, online, internet TA and for years I would read on here all about this magical upsell offers that would be forwarded from their TA.....I then inquired with our big, online TA and I asked her to send the upsells my way.  She said she did get $$$ for upsells but the back and forth with the passenger and the cruise line (have to call, wait on hold, back and forth with decisions and they are gone sometimes while trying to complete the sale) was not worth it.  I told her I understood but would promise to be decisive and understanding.....and since then, she has sent them to us....but I also call HAL directly.

This is what I always thought was the case with the big TAs.  Not worth the time and trouble to them.  If they are this petty on something that they do make money on, how can you trust them on other issues?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

If they are this petty on something that they do make money on, how can you trust them on other issues?

Understood. 

But the specific assigned TA we use (after burning thru a few) is HAL knowledgable, shoots straight with me and I am (at least in my own mind) knowledgable enough that I just need her to primarily book the lowest price and keep me "between the buoys".  

Lowest price is my primary focus when booking a cruise....And not into phone calls and chit chat and wasting her/my time....and prefer emails for corresponding.....Stretching our retirement travel budget to the max to cover the most ground is our primary goal......

Enjoy the journey....no matter the TA or the travel goals

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My recent experience:

I gave HAL a call to ask if there were any offers available for my 5/11 Rotterdam cruise (14 night in Britain, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.)   They said that they had sent an Upsell offer to my TA to pass on to me on March 25th. Unless I missed it, because I was cruising at the time, TA did not send the offer on to me. She has in the past, though, when I have asked her to.  I don't think I did this time.

Anyway, the upsell was for a Vista Suite.   Since we were interested in paying a little bit to upgrade to a Vista from our VQ (originally a V GTY and then upgraded free with Club Orange), I asked for the price.   The amount was $549pp.  More than we wanted to spend for a slight difference in room size. 

Then, out of curiosity, I asked about a Signature Suite (there were none showing available online accept for a GTY at $7129pp 😮)  The Upsell Desk had 3 SS to offer, and the amount to upsell wasn't much more for the SS versus what they wanted for the VS.  We took the offer! 😉   Yes, I could have waited and called back next week, but I really do not think that the offers would have gone down, especially for the SS!  We went from a good rate in a V GTY to a Signature Suite for $749pp.  Our deal (including HIA) is better than the deal we received on last years cruise with the same number of days in Europe.  Very happy!!!  Last year, two months before our cruise, we ended up paying to upgrade from a VA to a Vista for $210pp.  Then, at 3 weeks out, we took an upsell from that VS to a SS for $749pp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About 30 days out I got my second upsell offer (forwarded by TA). I’m in a partially obstructed OV on Zuiderdam for a the May 11 TA. The offer was $149 pp to move to best  available OV. We passed. I like the bigger windows of the obstructed OV and our location. I thought of calling and asking about a V but decided to hold off for now. 

I would have stayed put, also.  Doesn't sound much like an upgrade not knowing where you might end up.  Recently had a similar situation on a Carnival cruise.  We purposely chose the OV because the stateroom was larger than the standard balcony room (the "upgrade"), plus, my daughter did not want my grandchildren to have access to a balcony.

If you see that there are several Veranda's available next week, it wouldn't hurt for you to call HAL directly.  That's the best way!  Do not wait for an offer.

On our last cruise on the N. Statendam in Dec., I got an upsell for $99 pp to go from an ocean view to a balcony and I got to choose my mid-ship location. The first offer was $299 pp, then a week later it was $199 pp. A week later I received the $99 pp and took it. I usually take the offers but it depends on if I can get the mid-ship locations I want and of if I can go from an ocean view (rarely book them) to a balcony or higher. No forwards at all and no afts if way aft. I try to book at least a balcony or Vista Suite.

• Like 2

That was a good deal!   The more inventory, the less the cost to upgrade.  I briefly thought about waiting until next week to see about getting the Signature Suite, but knowing how popular they are, and at 2 weeks out, I don't think the rate to upsell would go down any more.  We are midship.  The other two SS that were available are all the way forward, and the staterooms are smaller than a normal SS.  Plus, the balcony is practical unusable on sea days. Forward Signature Suite