Texting on board

Hottubmomma

Everyone needs to have Apple devices and have an iMessage account (blue messages in your text messages versus green).

If everyone has Apple devices, you may be able to connect to the ship's wifi (without logging on) and text home. You need to be in airplane mode (else incur $$$$$ charges). And need to be connected to the ship's wifi. 

This is actually a "hole" in the ship's communication system that NCL has "fixed" before, but appears to have opened up again. 

If you can't do it for "free", your internet minutes are only applicable if the people you are texting have Apple devices. 

Edited by BirdTravels

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This is actually a "hole" in the ship's communication system that NCL has "fixed" before, but appears to have opened up again. 

Recently on the Sky, that hole opened and closed more than once.  One day it worked, next day a message that said iMessage was not enabled.  Who knows?

If your family and friends are with you on the ship and the iMessage doesn't work then you use the messaging part of the app. It costs $10 each for a week. Not the best as it doesn't give you a notification (sound or banner) when you get a message. You have to continually check for messages.

iMessages have always worked for me on NCL but not always on other cruise lines.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Everyone needs to have Apple devices and have an iMessage account (blue messages in your text messages versus green).

If everyone has Apple devices, you may be able to connect to the ship's wifi (without logging on) and text home. You need to be in airplane mode (else incur $$$$$ charges). And need to be connected to the ship's wifi. 

If you can't do it for "free", your internet minutes are only applicable if the people you are texting have Apple devices. 

Thank you very helpful

27 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

If your family and friends are with you on the ship and the iMessage doesn't work then you use the messaging part of the app. It costs $10 each for a week. Not the best as it doesn't give you a notification (sound or banner) when you get a message. You have to continually check for messages.

iMessages have always worked for me on NCL but not always on other cruise lines.

Thank you

27 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

thank you

2 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

I've been on Disney Cruise Line and this has worked on multiple ships for me and my family.

15 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

Folks pay for this feature?  NCL making out like a bandit. 

32 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

With a teenage Daughter? PRICELESS!

Keep her in line.  Easier said than done, I know.  🙂

I will give guys with young daughters a break. I'm not sure I was cut out of it.  Son's are enough trouble.  

My point is, this service literally costs NCL zero...

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Keep her in line.  Easier said than done, I know.  🙂

I will give guys with young daughters a break. I'm not sure I was cut out of it.  Son's are enough trouble.  

My point is, this service literally costs NCL zero...

We have a son and a daughter...and I concur.  Teenage daughters can be a tough deal for parents...haha.

Ok...I have a wifi related question from an idiot who hasn't cruised for a while ( me ).

First of all, how do you sign into their "paid" wifi ( Free at sea minutes and unlimited plans )?  I'm assuming you just connect to the wifi and "log in" somehow with a username and password?  BTW - we have iphones...

Second, we have a mini "wifi hotspot".  Does anyone use these while in the room to connect to a single "unlimited" plan with multiple devices?  In theory this should work...but I seem to remember having issues with the login process on the hotspot in the past ( i.e. - it didn't go to the "login" page after connecting the hotspot to the ship's wifi ).  That was quite a while ago though...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by farmecologist

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

First of all, how do you sign into their "paid" wifi ( Free at sea minutes and unlimited plans )?  I'm assuming you just connect to the wifi and "log in" somehow with a username and password?  BTW - we have iphones...

It's a really goofy system (when it works).  You connect to the ships WiFi and then open a browser like Safari and enter the URL "loginnow.com"  It will ask for name and I think birthdate.  It used to just be "login.com" but that became hit or miss and rarely worked last week.  Logging out can be tricky, so it's best once logged in to leave the "loginnow.com" tab open and open another tab for your actual internet activity.  Then, return to the loginnow.com tab and click the red Logout button.  All this from memory, so hopefully somebody else will confirm.  On my last cruise, the ship WiFi became flaky and didn't log me out so my minutes ran to zero.  The next day they had returned a little over an hour of free minutes so no issues.  I really only needed about 15 minutes for some time-sensitive personal business.

ETA: I believe that their WiFi became overloaded because they failed to display the NFC championship game for most of the first quarter.  We were watching post-game rugby instead.  An RCL ship was docked next to us and we could see the game on their jumbo tron on the pool deck.  How embarrassing is that for NCL?🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's a really goofy system (when it works).  You connect to the ships WiFi and then open a browser like Safari and enter the URL "loginnow.com"  It will ask for name and I think birthdate.  It used to just be "login.com" but that became hit or miss and rarely worked last week.  Logging out can be tricky, so it's best once logged in to leave the "loginnow.com" tab open and open another tab for your actual internet activity.  Then, return to the loginnow.com tab and click the red Logout button.  All this from memory, so hopefully somebody else will confirm.  On my last cruise, the ship WiFi became flaky and didn't log me out so my minutes ran to zero.  The next day they had returned a little over an hour of free minutes so no issues.  I really only needed about 15 minutes for some time-sensitive personal business.

Thanks!  I have a hunch my mini hotspot won't work with such a goofy system like that...

We have used the $10 service when traveling with extended family and felt it really was not great as you have to consistently check to see if you got any messages.     Now, a few years later, we are again traveling with extended family in March and I hope the service is better.   

These are the latest pictorial illustrations (screenshots) of the current NCL WiFi system in logging in and logging out, you will need to be "authenticated" further when signing "in" to use your limited or unlimited WiFi inTERnet access.  inTRAnet access is free onboard as long as you follow the steps, disabled your cellular services, including data roaming, put the device into airplane mode & then re-enable your device's WiFi connection or module - consult your user's or owner's manual on how to do yours, since iPhone, Androids and other banded hardware varied slightly in how they get enabled/disabled.   Go here  > > > > >

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2908053-semi-live-getaway-20-jan-16-feb-1-2023-ny-so-caribbean-12-nights-is-it-live-semi-live-or-limited/page/18/#elControls_64780470_menu

You will need to have the last name of the passenger's with the WiFi account and date of birth to be "validated" - at least initially, and once your "device" is whitelisted, subsequent sign-in or login are easier.  

SMS or (plain) text messaging can and do work, for selective devices onboard as long as the hardware supports WiFi calling/VoiP (enabled) and is connected to ship's WiFi ... Usually, beginning "strings" of inbound messages (headers) from other's Facebook Messenger (iMessage) and "messaging" apps can & will "get" thru while you are onboard, not always - without inTERnet access being enabled.  It's a known loophole and backdoor that NCL/its ISP partner can choose to close & shut down without notice or warning, enjoy access while you still can.  

To make it easier for the less tech-inclined, NCL now offers a QR code, scan & follow the prompt to connect - pickup one of these printed mini-guide onboard at the iCafe center, typically next Guest Services on mega ships.  For those that feel otherwise, do turn off your gadgets and lock it in the mini-safe, for your own (in)convenience ... of course.  But, personally, we wouldn't go ashore without taking our global smartphone with us, in case of exceptional situations and unexpected emergencies.  Happy cruising ! 

20230128_005523.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, as I understand it, the reason the “loophole” exists on iMessage is because there is an overlap between the technical requirements for notifications via the Apple Push Notification System and iMessage notifications to function. I have heard that in order for the NCL app to properly work on iPhones and give notifications, iMessage also has to work.

Sad that this bug doesn’t work consistently the way it should though - I would rather pay the $10 and know it works constantly, than have to shift between iMessage and NCL.

in the olden days, NCL notifications used to work flawlessly 😞 not sure why they haven’t fixed this. NCL Isn’t the only cruise line with notification issues, I’ve seen the problem on other line’s ships.

one other workaround for the issue if you have the NCL messaging package, is to actually place a CALL through the NCL app to your recipient. call notifications seem to work consistently. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

ly

one other workaround for the issue if you have the NCL messaging package, is to actually place a CALL through the NCL app to your recipient. call notifications seem to work consistently. 

Thanks for this tidbit regarding calls going through.    Are you saying if you place a call through the NCL app, the recipient would know you were trying to contact them without the call going through?

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Thanks for this tidbit regarding calls going through.    Are you saying if you place a call through the NCL app, the recipient would know you were trying to contact them without the call going through?

If you’re an NCL passenger on their app trying to call another NCL passenger on their app, a notification should pop up on their phone saying “incoming call from…”. Then they can answer it and talk to you. 

the NCL app isn’t just messenging, it’s calls too 

• Thanks 1