Konnichiwa Japan (is welcoming home the Diamond Princess)

cr8tiv1

I can understand and appreciate your point of view.  Spending $20 for a shuttle ride to a dollar store seemed extreme.  But I enjoyed just meandering and mingling with the locals.  

We left the ship after most passengers rushed off.  We spent about 4 to 5 hours in each port before returning to the ship.  Some ports were much easier than others.  

Overall, I was very impressed how welcomed we were to the city.  Several had volunteers stationed at transit corners.  I felt safe.  It was clean.  And they were extremely friendly.  I wanted to do a cruise because it took us future than a land tour could do.  We hit Cherry Blossoms at its peak.  Mission Accomplished.  I do wish I had planned more days in Yokohama.  

• Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 5:21 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Shuttle Buses:

Nagasaki - Docks near city.  Very helpful people in the terminal who will sell you a tram pass and give you directions.  Caught the tram, NOT the first bus stop, but several blocks down the way.  All day pass was just easier (paying for convenience).  Took tram to Peace Park and Atomic Museum.  We had to transfer lines once (I think).  Chinatown was near the port/on the tram line.  I don't do Chinatowns (I don't like Chinese food and am Asian....!). Did not visit the arcade (shopping malls).  The Peace Park was so so, but the escalator was amazing.  Had lunch at the museum and it took less than an hour to walk through the exhibits.  

Jeju - took the shuttle for $20 each round trip.  I understand it was cheaper for a party of two to take a taxi to the same drop off point.  Again, convenience.  We walked around the big people's market for several hours.  Ate tangerines.  Again, coming from Hawaii, I didn't need to see beaches, coastlines, water falls.  You can do some research about buses...I didn't want to risk missing the ship by taking a bus out of town.  Long, long line to go through immigrations to get back on the ship.  

There is suppose to be a nice tea garden a little out of town (taxi).  No, I did not partake in the $100 fish lunch.

IMG_2457.thumb.jpeg.fb90f4ff636bd14da6861f468dfeb2cd.jpeg

Kogashima - shuttle was $28.  Our first stop.  I didn't know any better.  Shuttle was waiting for us and someone with a clip board took my name and cabin number.  Convenient, but not necessarily the most inexpensive way to get from the ship to town.  

Have you checked into https://www.gonomad.com/3162-japans-goodwill-guides-personal-tours-language-help

I found them too late.  They could not connect with any locals.  It does help to have someone who can speak the language.  My cousin's son took us around Yokohama. 

I still have more to come.

Is there a better way to get to Kagoshima downtown? I used it in 2017 to get to Shiroyama Park and want to return there next year. Thx

20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Is there a better way to get to Kagoshima downtown? I used it in 2017 to get to Shiroyama Park and want to return there next year. Thx

To be honest, I can't remember each port.  They sort of all blended together.  I had to look up the city.  We took a shuttle from the port to a drop off point near the Ferry Building (for the ferry to the Sakurajima/volcano).  Many passengers (2 or more) chose to take a taxi from the ship to town.  I don't see why you couldn't take a taxi to Shiroyama Park.  Japan seems to have taxis waiting at local tourist areas.  Taxi's can be expensive.  

We walked from the parking lot drop off to a large mall.  Near the mall were trams but I don't know where they went.  Be adventurous.  Just give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship if you get lost.

By the way, If you are familiar with 7 Eleven stores in the US (Hawaii), they are owned by the Japanese.  

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

We took a taxi to the Ferry Boarding area to Sakurajima back in March.  Very easy.  After visiting the Sakurajima peninsula, we walked to downtown, had lunch and took the taxi back.  Picked it up by the Don Quixote.  

Edited by 4bande
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4bande said:
2 hours ago, Ombud said:

We took a taxi to the Ferry Boarding area to Sakurajima back in March.  Very easy.  After visiting the Sakurajima peninsula, we walked to downtown, had lunch and took the taxi back.  Picked it up by the Don Quixote.  

If Japan has uber maybe I'll just do that -- who knows, maybe another roll call member will share the ride!

On 7/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, chubbypiggy said:

@cr8tiv1

I started planning for our upcoming Sept. Japan cruises on Diamond.  It will be 7 days Kyushu & Korea and 9 days Circle Hokkaido (Nagasaki, Jeju, Kagoshima, Omaezaki, Busan, Aomori, Otaru, and Hakodate).  We like local eating, shopping, and not so strenuous sightseeing.  We prefer DIY over Princess excursions with a large group of people.  From your 3/24/23 Diamond Roll Call, I noticed you visited 3 of the ports that we will be visiting on our Kyushu cruise. If you can answer some questions and maybe give some suggestions on any of the above mentioned ports will be much appreciated.

For the Nagasaki port, our plan is to take the tram/or walk to Hamamachi Shopping Arcade and Chinatown.  If you took the tram, do you remember how far was the walk from the cruise terminal to the tram stop #48 for Green Line 5?  Did you visit Hamamachi Shopping Arcade and Chinatown?  If so, were there enough to see/do for a few hours?  

For the Jeju port, it seems like the main attractions are Cheonjeyeon Falls, Yakcheonsa Temple, or beaches, all of no interest to us.  We are thinking either to just stay on the ship or get off the ship and just stay in Seogwipo and check out nearby restaurants/shops.  From your 3/24 roll call, you said "My Korean Chiropractor told me to skip Jeju sights and eat my way through the city".  So, did you end up doing that?  If so, did you rent a taxi or there were many restaurants by the port?

For Kagoshima, I remember reading on CC (months ago) that Princess offers RT shuttle for $28 from port to town.  Do you remember if that option was available on your cruise?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!  

We did the inagural 2023 sailing back in March.  Of the stops you are doing, we ported in Kagoshima, Nagasaki and Seogwipo (Jeju).

For Nagasaki, the tram stop is less than a block from the port, you can purchase an all day pass at the port.  We to the tram to Peace Park, walked to the Mt Inasa sky tram and then back to town to visit Dejima and Chinatown.  

For Kagoshima, as previously replied, we took a taxi (4 in each) to the Ferry terminal to go to Sakurajima, came back via ferry and then walked to downtown, ate lunch and took taxi back.  Want so say it was about 3000 yen each way.  

For Seogwipo, we took the shuttle into town (as being first cruise ship there, taxis only wanted to be hired for the day - which others in our group did but we didn't since we had just been to Jeju in September 2022).  The shuttle took us to Olle Market, from there we walked down to Jeongbang and Sojeongbang waterfalls and just enjoyed the town scenery.  The rest of the group went to Cheonjeyeon Waterfalls/Teddy Bear Museum/Botanical Gardens and then to Olle Market.  There is nothing by the port.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4bande said:

We did the inagural 2023 sailing back in March.  Of the stops you are doing, we ported in Kagoshima, Nagasaki and Seogwipo (Jeju).

For Nagasaki, the tram stop is less than a block from the port, you can purchase an all day pass at the port.  We to the tram to Peace Park, walked to the Mt Inasa sky tram and then back to town to visit Dejima and Chinatown.  

For Kagoshima, as previously replied, we took a taxi (4 in each) to the Ferry terminal to go to Sakurajima, came back via ferry and then walked to downtown, ate lunch and took taxi back.  Want so say it was about 3000 yen each way.  

For Seogwipo, we took the shuttle into town (as being first cruise ship there, taxis only wanted to be hired for the day - which others in our group did but we didn't since we had just been to Jeju in September 2022).  The shuttle took us to Olle Market, from there we walked down to Jeongbang and Sojeongbang waterfalls and just enjoyed the town scenery.  The rest of the group went to Cheonjeyeon Waterfalls/Teddy Bear Museum/Botanical Gardens and then to Olle Market.  There is nothing by the port.  

Thank you for your information.

For Nagasaki, we do plan to walk to the tram stop and take the tram to Hamamachi Shopping Arcade, then walk to Chinatown, and either walk or tram back to ship.

For Kagoshima, we want to do the HOHO Kagoshima City View bus (80 minutes loop).  But I can't information on the stop location of that bus, thus, don't know how/where to catch that bus.  Either we can take the RT Princess shuttle for $28pp or take the taxi. There will be 9 of us, so if we taxi, probably have to take 3 taxis.   Our worry is, will it be difficult for us to get 3 taxis from town back to ship.  I will continue to search if I can find information on the City View bus stop locations.

If we do go ashore in Seogwipo, we will just take the shuttle and go to the Olle Market.  I don't know if it is worth the hassle to get in long lines at Immigration to get back to the ship just for shopping at the Olle Market. 

4 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for your information.

For Nagasaki, we do plan to walk to the tram stop and take the tram to Hamamachi Shopping Arcade, then walk to Chinatown, and either walk or tram back to ship.

For Kagoshima, we want to do the HOHO Kagoshima City View bus (80 minutes loop).  But I can't information on the stop location of that bus, thus, don't know how/where to catch that bus.  Either we can take the RT Princess shuttle for $28pp or take the taxi. There will be 9 of us, so if we taxi, probably have to take 3 taxis.   Our worry is, will it be difficult for us to get 3 taxis from town back to ship.  I will continue to search if I can find information on the City View bus stop locations.

If we do go ashore in Seogwipo, we will just take the shuttle and go to the Olle Market.  I don't know if it is worth the hassle to get in long lines at Immigration to get back to the ship just for shopping at the Olle Market. 

Getting a taxi back from downtown Kagoshima should not be a problem.  There is a taxi area in Tenmonkan near Don Quijote.  

Immigration was a breeze in Seogwipo for us as many come back at different times.  Getting off took a little longer.Olle market is neat as there are many different foods to eat (walk first and then decide).  The non food vendor do sell the same things (at the same prices).

13 minutes ago, 4bande said:

Getting a taxi back from downtown Kagoshima should not be a problem.  There is a taxi area in Tenmonkan near Don Quijote.  

Immigration was a breeze in Seogwipo for us as many come back at different times.  Getting off took a little longer.Olle market is neat as there are many different foods to eat (walk first and then decide).  The non food vendor do sell the same things (at the same prices).

The Seogwipo shuttle that you took, was it a Princess round-trip shuttle?  How much?

15 minutes ago, 4bande said:

If, I can remember, the line was to get off the ship (immigration into Korea).  The market was fun.  Yes, walk and see first.  It was tangerine season.  I was able to taste a few different varieties.  They were really good.  You can bring them back to the ship.  But they spoil very quickly.  

If you are into Kim Chee, there are so many varieties.  They have a version of Korean Fried Chicken.  Very tasty.  Could not find anyone to cook the fresh abalone.  I was looking for "omiyage" that would not break the bank.  Found small packages of dried tangerine covered with chocolate.  Should have bought more to give away.  

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.80f529f3552dbfe57a3533d1e3987410.jpeg

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If, I can remember, the line was to get off the ship (immigration into Korea).  The market was fun.  Yes, walk and see first.  It was tangerine season.  I was able to taste a few different varieties.  They were really good.  You can bring them back to the ship.  But they spoil very quickly.  

If you are into Kim Chee, there are so many varieties.  They have a version of Korean Fried Chicken.  Very tasty.  Could not find anyone to cook the fresh abalone.  I was looking for "omiyage" that would not break the bank.  Found small packages of dried tangerine covered with chocolate.  Should have bought more to give away.  

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.80f529f3552dbfe57a3533d1e3987410.jpeg

That look very interesting, thank you for posting it.  I can't eat anything spicy, so definitely no kim chi.  I also can't eat fried or BBQ/Char-broiled food; so Korean food is not for me.  I like Japanese food; though can't eat their tempura food.  

1 minute ago, chubbypiggy said:

That look very interesting, thank you for posting it.  I can't eat anything spicy, so definitely no kim chi.  I also can't eat fried or BBQ/Char-broiled food; so Korean food is not for me.  I like Japanese food; though can't eat their tempura food.  

You've ruled out a lot of Asian foods.  There are always hot pots, lots of udon, a few Ramen places.  Do you eat sushi or sashimi?  Then there is always teriyaki (not katsu).  

13 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

The Seogwipo shuttle that you took, was it a Princess round-trip shuttle?  How much?

$25 USD per person.  No need to sign up on the ship.  Just go outside to the shuttle area and put your name down and room number.  It's really an honor system.  I think one of our shuttle signups were not charged.

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You've ruled out a lot of Asian foods.  There are always hot pots, lots of udon, a few Ramen places.  Do you eat sushi or sashimi?  Then there is always teriyaki (not katsu).  

Yes, and that is sad, because I love hot pots, Korean char-broiled food, etc.  It is a health issue that started in 2016; saw so many doctors and tried so many different treatments, and none seems to work.  Every time I eat spicy, grilled, fried food or even roasted nuts, in less than an hour, canker sores will start inside my mouth, and in a day or two, will become a large white painful canker sore patch.  Super painful.

I love Udon and Ramen.  Do not eat sashimi, but eat some sushi (California rolls). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4bande said:

$25 USD per person.  No need to sign up on the ship.  Just go outside to the shuttle area and put your name down and room number.  It's really an honor system.  I think one of our shuttle signups were not charged.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

If Japan has uber maybe I'll just do that -- who knows, maybe another roll call member will share the ride!

I believe Uber is reasonably new in Japan and is only available in the larger cities at this point in time. 😊

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 4:46 PM, 4bande said:

I read a lot of taxi drivers don't speak much English.  At the cruise terminal, did you have problem telling the taxi driver you want to go to the Sakurajima ferry terminal?  And getting taxi in Tenmonkan by Don Quijote to take you back to the terminal, did you just tell the taxi driver (in English), to take you to "cruise ship terminal"?  Did you need to pay your taxi fare with cash or you were able to use a credit card?

Within the last few months, anyone visited the Kagoshima port and bought the Kagoshima one-day pass or the "Cute" one-day pass?  If so, did you buy the pass at the cruise terminal? There was a recent CC post that I read, saying maybe those passes can not be bought at the cruise terminal, and must be bought at the Tourist Info Center in town.  We want to do the Kagoshima City View bus.  If we can't buy the pass at the terminal, that mean we must take the Princess shuttle to town (I think drop off by Dolphin port), then have to walk from drop off point to Tenmonkan's tourist center to buy the pass before we can get on the bus

13 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I read a lot of taxi drivers don't speak much English.  At the cruise terminal, did you have problem telling the taxi driver you want to go to the Sakurajima ferry terminal?  And getting taxi in Tenmonkan by Don Quijote to take you back to the terminal, did you just tell the taxi driver (in English), to take you to "cruise ship terminal"?  Did you need to pay your taxi fare with cash or you were able to use a credit card?

Hi!

When we used a taxi from the port terminal, we got help from the staff there to tell the driver where wanted to go, and to be on the safe side, we had already put in googletranslate the sentence to say where we wanted to go to. And showed the taxi driver. It worked no problem.

We used uber a lot in Tokyo (but they are often just normal taxis, registered on the website), but this was not an option in Kochi for example.

Some taxi driver use google translate to "talk" to you, meaning they speak in their phone, googletranslate does it's job, and he shows you the written translation in English...

I used the Apple app called Translate.  It worked very well without internet service.  I understand that Google Translate works well too.  Don’t leave home without such an app.  

Better yet is take a photo screen shot of the ship AND where you want to go, with an address.

Not experienced with UBER.  Don’t you need cell service so that the car driver can find you?  Have not used it internationally.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Yes, taxi drivers have limited (if no English) - Especially when not in Tokyo.  We just brought up the location on Google Maps and showed it to the driver to take us to the ferry terminal.  For return, we used Google Translate for "cruise ship terminal" along with Google Maps.

Most taxis take credit card, but cash is always good to have on hand.

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I used the Apple app called Translate.  It worked very well without internet service.  I understand that Google Translate works well too.  Don’t leave home without such an app.  

Better yet is take a photo screen shot of the ship AND where you want to go, with an address.

Yes, Translate apps work great.  You can download languages on Google Translate.