Crown Princess Engine Troubles

KarenS001

Hello. I’m thinking of planning an alaska cruise on the crown princess in Summer. Im a bit skeptical because I heard that there was engine trouble last summer and many people’s vacations were ruined. Does anybody know if they fixed this during the dry dock in October? I know they are doing cruises right now. 

4 minutes ago, KarenS001 said:

Hello. I’m thinking of planning an alaska cruise on the crown princess in Summer. Im a bit skeptical because I heard that there was engine trouble last summer and many people’s vacations were ruined. Does anybody know if they fixed this during the dry dock in October? I know they are doing cruises right now. 

I prolly wouldn't risk it.  Maybe best to book another ship or even cruise line.

Welcome to CC.

5 minutes ago, KarenS001 said:

The ship was in dry dock in Portland last year and there have been no current reports of engine issues 

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

I prolly wouldn't risk it.  Maybe best to book another ship or even cruise line.

Welcome to CC.

What do you have against Princess ?  Why would you tell someone to change lines ?  The engine issues on the Crown were dealt with in dry dock last year.  Is just another Princess hater on the boards ?

Certainly not an exact science, but I suggest that you  look at recent reviews of the ship here on cruise critic....they will be the most recent observations of folks  on the crown. .I think there are some "live froms" too. 

21 minutes ago, KarenS001 said:

5 minutes ago, KarenS001 said:

Thank You. I know the crown princess is doing long trips from LA to Hawaii right now and I haven’t heard of anything mentioning engine troubles.

well, maybe there's your answer then .. Good luck!

and keep following on CC for maybe a 'live from' thread ...

1 hour ago, KarenS001 said:

There was a thread on this a week or so ago. Some cruisers from the recent Hawaii trips were saying all was good, the problems were fixed in dry dock last fall. I booked Crown for Alaska in May.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

There was a thread on this a week or so ago. Some cruisers from the recent Hawaii trips were saying all was good, the problems were fixed in dry dock last fall. I booked Crown for Alaska in May.

Oh ok that’s great. Thank You. I could not find that thread.

• Like 1

I think it’s mostly sorted now. While we were on the broken ship cruises last May every report I’ve seen since about august has been it’s been improved. Personally I will avoid that ship in the future but that’s just me. Chose the Sapphire for Alaska in 2024 instead

1 hour ago, phoebe2m said:

We are currently on the Crown. No engine issues. We have arrived at every port on time. Only problem I have seen is a leak on deck 5 near the art gallery one time but it was handled quickly. Excellent crew, food, entertainment, etc.

I will be on the ship in a couple of months. I heard the food is good.

3 hours ago, KarenS001 said:

I will be on the ship in a couple of months. I heard the food is good.

Yes we have been very happy with food in the MDR and the buffet. Also the pizza and hamburgers on Lido. Had lobster last night, good size and buttery. Also had tenderloin, two slices, great flavor. Good selection every meal.

• Thanks 1