What do you like about Silversea?

SwankPooch

2 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

I am a potential client. I used to travel exclusively with Crystal for decades and then switched to Seabourn 5 years ago. I love Seabourn but would like to experience alternatives.   Thanks.

We have also done Crystal and Seabourn in the past with very good experiences, plus Celebrity, Oceania, etc.  Most of our recent cruises have been been with Silversea.  Below is one of my most recent live/blogs that offers many details and visuals for the food, staff, sights, style, etc.  

From a Pennsylvania newspaper writer this morning, they had this headline: Now’s a great time to take that cruise vacation with these highlights: “Global demand for cruising continues to rise, with several cruise lines reporting record-breaking bookings for many ships and itineraries throughout 2023 and into 2024.

For Silversea, this writer offered this more specific summary: "Silversea Cruises. With over 25-years experience in luxury small ship cruising (4 Expedition/6 Ocean vessels), sophisticated (and international) Silversea sails to over 900 destinations on all seven continents, more than any other cruise line. Silversea ships are spacious with a staff to guest ratio that’s almost 1 to 1. World renowned for devoted, discreet and experienced onboard service, Silversea is also a leader in luxury expedition and adventure cruising.  This year, Silversea expeditions will take guests closer to the authentic natural beauty and amazing treasures throughout Greenland, Arctic Canada and Arctic Norway at a 20% limited time savings. The 728-guest Silver “Nova” ocean ship will debut in August."

For us, the two biggest pluses with Silversea are their wider/more interesting itineraries that their smaller ships can best access.  Plus, the more "personal" service, size and style with a smaller ships versus being "lost" on a ship with 2000, 3000, etc., passengers in such a "mass", cattle-car setting/environment.  

Other more specific questions and info needs?

Full story at:

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2023/02/nows-a-great-time-to-take-that-cruise-vacation-sandy-fenton.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This may not be of importance to many people, but it is important to us. Because of various commitments, we try to book our cruises two to three years ahead. We always fly Business Air. With inflation, the cost of Bus Air has gone through the roof. On SS, you can book 2 to 3 years in advance and still "lock-in" the cost of Bus Air. On Seabourn, they will not lock-in the cost of Bus Air until 330 days prior to the cruise. That is a deal breaker for us. Aside from that, I like both cruise lines as long as I go on the newer and a little larger ships.  Some of the upgrade charges for international Bus Air is almost as much as the cost of the cruise.

• Like 3

Silly, just being over the top curious questions.......    How is the service in the Verandah suites vs the larger suites?  How are the wines and spirits?  Which brands are included? (I'll guess it varies by port and availbility).   Advertised for the larger suites says afternoon canapés and espresso machine in your suite...  but can't I just call for an espresso and canapés in a Veranda room? Silly.. but curious.  

21 minutes ago, Kalscruise said:

Silly, just being over the top curious questions.......    How is the service in the Verandah suites vs the larger suites?  How are the wines and spirits?  Which brands are included? (I'll guess it varies by port and availbility).   Advertised for the larger suites says afternoon canapés and espresso machine in your suite...  but can't I just call for an espresso and canapés in a Veranda room? Silly.. but curious.  

Appreciate Randy's very kind and nice follow-up.  Glad that I summarized so well many of the key pluses for Silversea.  Must be true, right?

As to the above excellent question from Kalscruise, we have not done the Silversea larger suites, but our experiences with the butlers in the lower-level, basic verandah and non-balcony suites is that the staff is very, very helpful.  The staff still seeks to be very good even if you are not paying the high-end prices for the larger suites. They like to be creative and supportive, if you ask and know what you are seeking.  

The biggest challenge is that many do not consider and/or "think outside the box" for the potentials from their butlers and/or in the dining areas.

Below are just two examples!!   First, in the dining room, if you ask a day ahead and they have it in stock, they are happy to prepare a "special request" that might not normally be on the menu.  Shown below is the Beef Wellington that we enjoyed on the Silver Muse on the way up to Alaska as we and another couple had dinner with the speaker during our cruise.  That meal was wonderful.  Another time for our group of six, they did a special Thai family-style dining sampling.  Just be creative and ask.  If within reason, they love to do such special treats.  The wine and beverages on the ship are good.  They are not the high, high super levels for certain wines, but it works reasonably well.  Again ask if there is a certain type of wine at dinner that you seek or desire.  There are varied daily offerings, but they can potentially find something different or better if you desire. 

Second, are the details and a visual for the World Cup watch we did of the final soccer championship game in July 2010 as we sailed south along the Norway coast.  On this Norway cruise, it was my wife's birthday and working with the Executive Chef, we came up with a very memorable five-course celebration dinner for her.  As always, ask in advance, be flexible and work out the details.  

Don't be shy!!  Think what you would like to experience and enjoy.  Then, work out what will be reasonable, have good options/potentials, etc.   

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,049 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Below is the Beef Wellington requested and served during our 2019 Alaska sailing on the Silver Muse.  Second is how our suite on the Silver Cloud looked in July 2010 when we had a World Cup Final "party" with various food and drink items ordered through our butler off of the room service menu.  Our butler enjoyed pulling it together and was glad we had the creative to ask.  Great way to see the game, have fun with friends and see the scenic Norway coast as we sailed south?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.7a36184c18f81626f99a7820b885154d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c83df9cdc49f3701f3148dc73249f59.jpeg

• Like 4

Along the same vein as the OP, we have never been on a cruise, but want to do a Mediterranean bucket list cruise (before we are unable to travel). We have narrowed down our itineraries to one from Silversea and one from Regent. Both are pricey, but we will spend for this once in a lifetime cruise. Any advice on which line is preferred and why? Appreciate all insights and suggestions!

Dear Gray Lady, Silversea and Regent are our cruse lines of choice...not knowing how will we like the new Crystal.  Not knowing what your favored itineraries are in both lines, I would say...if you favor ship sea day activities in longer cruises over destination tours, Regent will work for you.  For port intensive cruises, and if you don't have dressing up issues, I would recommend Silversea.  Both are luxury lines and you will not be disappointed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalscruise said:

Other than the size of the cabin there is no difference in the level of service.  You can get canapés in the afternoon though admittedly there is no espresso machine in the verandah suites but you can call for it.  We’ve cruised Silversea in Medallion, Silver, and Verandah suites and been perfectly happy in our Verandah suites.  We have never eaten any major meal in any category if cabin and actually figure we spend only 10 maybe 11 hours a day in our cabin at the most and that’s for cleaning up or sleeping.   

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Dear Gray Lady, Silversea and Regent are our cruse lines of choice...not knowing how will we like the new Crystal.  Not knowing what your favored itineraries are in both lines, I would say...if you favor ship sea day activities in longer cruises over destination tours, Regent will work for you.  For port intensive cruises, and if you don't have dressing up issues, I would recommend Silversea.  Both are luxury lines and you will not be disappointed.

We are looking at a Silversea cruise of 12 days with 10 ports and a Regent cruise of 14 days with 12 ports. All are in the Western Mediterranean next May. It is good to know that either one is a good choice! Thank you so much!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate Randy's very kind and nice follow-up.  Glad that I summarized so well many of the key pluses for Silversea.  Must be true, right?

As to the above excellent question from Kalscruise, we have not done the Silversea larger suites, but our experiences with the butlers in the lower-level, basic verandah and non-balcony suites is that the staff is very, very helpful.  The staff still seeks to be very good even if you are not paying the high-end prices for the larger suites. They like to be creative and supportive, if you ask and know what you are seeking.  

The biggest challenge is that many do not consider and/or "think outside the box" for the potentials from their butlers and/or in the dining areas.

Below are just two examples!!   First, in the dining room, if you ask a day ahead and they have it in stock, they are happy to prepare a "special request" that might not normally be on the menu.  Shown below is the Beef Wellington that we enjoyed on the Silver Muse on the way up to Alaska as we and another couple had dinner with the speaker during our cruise.  That meal was wonderful.  Another time for our group of six, they did a special Thai family-style dining sampling.  Just be creative and ask.  If within reason, they love to do such special treats.  The wine and beverages on the ship are good.  They are not the high, high super levels for certain wines, but it works reasonably well.  Again ask if there is a certain type of wine at dinner that you seek or desire.  There are varied daily offerings, but they can potentially find something different or better if you desire. 

Second, are the details and a visual for the World Cup watch we did of the final soccer championship game in July 2010 as we sailed south along the Norway coast.  On this Norway cruise, it was my wife's birthday and working with the Executive Chef, we came up with a very memorable five-course celebration dinner for her.  As always, ask in advance, be flexible and work out the details.  

Don't be shy!!  Think what you would like to experience and enjoy.  Then, work out what will be reasonable, have good options/potentials, etc.   

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,049 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Below is the Beef Wellington requested and served during our 2019 Alaska sailing on the Silver Muse.  Second is how our suite on the Silver Cloud looked in July 2010 when we had a World Cup Final "party" with various food and drink items ordered through our butler off of the room service menu.  Our butler enjoyed pulling it together and was glad we had the creative to ask.  Great way to see the game, have fun with friends and see the scenic Norway coast as we sailed south?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.7a36184c18f81626f99a7820b885154d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c83df9cdc49f3701f3148dc73249f59.jpeg

That looks like a fun party in your suite!  Your Beef Wellington looks great too!  TY.

I'm not particularly interested in the food, the wine, butler stuff, entertainment, the spa, the dress code. It's the itinerary first, second, third and beyond . . . For my next Silversea, a month on the Cloud, it's just hand luggage and a load of camera gear. At the moment, Silversea has the more interesting itineraries but for a slush cruise in the Med or the Caribbean I prefer the more relaxed vibe on Seabourn.  I also think the Seabourn Quest, Sojourn and Odyssey have the perfect design, better than any ship in the Silversea fleet. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

I am a potential client. I used to travel exclusively with Crystal for decades and then switched to Seabourn 5 years ago. I love Seabourn but would like to experience alternatives.   Thanks.

What about new Crystal 😀

37 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

What about new Crystal 😀

Am much like the wise and experienced Fletcher in saying "It's the itinerary first, second, third and beyond."

But for Crystal with only two older, larger ships, how can they offer the wider variety of ports and destinations to compete against Silversea, etc.?  We did Crystal once and it was nice with many pluses.  However, with new luxury lines starting up and new ships coming from Silversea, etc., I am doubtful that Crystal will be able to compete successfully as the travel world evolves, changes and grows.  Am I too cynical and doubtful?

Edited by TLCOhio

Just now, TLCOhio said:

Am much like the wise and experienced Fletcher in saying "It's the itinerary first, second, third and beyond."

But for Crystal with only two older, larger ships, how can they offer the wide variety of port and destinations to compete against Silversea, etc.?  We did Crystal once and it was nice with many pluses.  However, with new luxury lines starting up and new ships from Silversea, etc., I am doubtful that Crystal will be able to compete successfully as the travel world evolves, changes and grows.  

Sorry, duplicate. 

Edited by TLCOhio

17 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

But for Crystal with only two older, larger ships, how can they offer the wider variety of ports and destinations to compete against Silversea, etc.?  We did Crystal once and it was nice with many pluses.  However, with new luxury lines starting up and new ships coming from Silversea, etc., I am doubtful that Crystal will be able to compete successfully as the travel world evolves, changes and grows.  Am I too cynical and doubtful?

Terry,I totally agree with you.

I sailed with the original Crystal and it was not luxury in any way for me in comparison with many other lines.

Crystal did seem to have a particular loyal following but with Manfredi owning the new Crystal line now I think that many old Crystalisers will be in for a shock as most seem to be wanting the New Crystal to be exactly as the old Crystal was and that includes the same crew.

I can't wait to read the reviews.

Edited by Mr Luxury

11 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

What about new Crystal 😀

I am not seriously considering new Crystal at this moment , I used to be one of the old Crystal’s devoted cheerleaders. I only moved on after a dismal occurrence.

Edited by SwankPooch
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 10:12 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Terry,I totally agree with you.   I sailed with the original Crystal and it was not luxury in any way for me in comparison with many other lines.  Crystal did seem to have a particular loyal following but with Manfredi owning the new Crystal line now I think that many old Crystalisers will be in for a shock as most seem to be wanting the New Crystal to be exactly as the old Crystal was and that includes the same crew. I can't wait to read the reviews.

Great to hear, Mr. Luxury, that you agree with me.  I can't always get my wife to agree with me on certain/many subjects.  

You are very smart and savvy to remark about "can't wait to read the reviews."   Some of the Crystal Cheerleaders will say all is wonderful, but many others will need to accept and reflect the "new realities".  All of the past, best staff members will not instantly be back and performing as happened ten or twelve years ago at the peak for Crystal.  

Bob Dylan summed it well as he sang "The Times They Are A-Changin' ".  This includes his final words: 

"As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin' "

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,772 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great to hear, Mr. Luxury, that you agree with me.  I can't always get my wife to agree with me on certain/many subjects.  

You are very smart and savvy to remark about "can't wait to read the reviews."   Some of the Crystal Cheerleaders will say all is wonderful, but many others will need to accept and reflect the "new realities".  All of the past, best staff members will not instantly be back and performing as happened ten or twelve years ago at the peak for Crystal.  

Bob Dylan summed it well as he sang "The Times They Are A-Changin' ".  This includes his final words: 

"As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin' "

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,772 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Indeed they are Terry. 

The cheerleaders will have to put on a brave face if they wish to tell all that everything is the same as before and nothing has changed.

I am coming from a different stance as I am wishing that the new Crystal is nothing like the old Crystal.

I don't mind older ships as long as they are well maintained and that there are better and larger suites than before.

Old Crystal is dead and I am looking forward to something much better going forward.

On 2/11/2023 at 12:41 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

On SS, you can book 2 to 3 years in advance and still "lock-in" the cost of Bus Air.

Not always, at least not in the current air travel environment. We booked a cruise for next June, and SS has no business class air offering until later this year. I suspect they got burned when air prices soared post-Covid, and they don't want to be in the air price futures market currently. 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Not always, at least not in the current air travel environment. We booked a cruise for next June, and SS has no business class air offering until later this year. I suspect they got burned when air prices soared post-Covid, and they don't want to be in the air price futures market currently. 

I  only book the cruise when I can lock in the Bus Air.

12 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I  only book the cruise when I can lock in the Bus Air.

I agree.  Luckily we just made it under the wire to book both business class flights and the popular cruise we wanted at the end of the year.  Cruise is not full but the deck and cabins we wanted were still available but booking up fast.  I guess if absolutely necessary and unavoidable we’d book economy for a U.S. based flight but no way for an International flight.   

On 2/12/2023 at 9:55 AM, TLCOhio said:

Of course, if the itinerary is wrong, who would look twice at a cruise to unwanted destinations?  Doesn't matter who is sailing it.

But the "second third" etc is not useful or helpful to one trying to select between 2 or more cruise lines with equally attractive itineraries.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:13 AM, Fletcher said:

I'm not particularly interested in the food, the wine, butler stuff, entertainment, the spa, the dress code.

Then I guess you just go with the cheapest cruise that takes you where you want to go?