Anyone recently back from an excursion to Volcanoes National Park?

Miss Picante

We are on the Miracle, departing February 19 to Hawaii.

There are now excursions offered to Volcanoes National Park with many spots still available.

I have read the descriptions of these  and also checked the park’s website, but it’s not clear what we would be able to see in light of the prior eruptions or how long we would actually be at the park.

Anyone been there recently on a Carnival excursion?

Mahalo!

Was on the Sapphire in late November. I had tours booked to Volcano National Park but due to high waves hitting the Island our port into Hilo was cancelled. This cancelation isn't the first time while cruising Hawaii. We missed the eruption of Mona Lua by three days. Maybe our luck will be better on our upcoming cruise in August. Tim

18 hours ago, Miss Picante said:

We are on the Miracle, departing February 19 to Hawaii. There are now excursions offered to Volcanoes National Park with many spots still available.

Assuming you are docking in Hilo, not Kona, the excursions from Hilo to Volcano National Park are great. The park is huge so lots to see, even when parts are closed off due to eruptions.

We were on an excursion to Volcanoes National Park 3 weeks ago. It's a huge area, with SO much to see! I highly recommend a visit, either through Carnival or another company. We booked "The Best of Big Island and Volcanoes National Park" through shoreexcursiongroup.com.  Fantastic company and guide!!

On 2/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, pcvtmom said:

We were on an excursion to Volcanoes National Park 3 weeks ago. It's a huge area, with SO much to see! I highly recommend a visit, either through Carnival or another company. We booked "The Best of Big Island and Volcanoes National Park" through shoreexcursiongroup.com.  Fantastic company and guide!!

We are coming on board the Quantum of the seas for the April 28th sailing. Our stop is Kona. We do not stop in Hilo. I reserved a minivan so we could drive up to the volcano. Has anyone done this from the Kona side.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, paml said:

I reserved a minivan so we could drive up to the volcano. Has anyone done this from the Kona side.

We drove ourselves from Kona a few weeks ago. It’s a bit over an hour drive, but very easy. If you have an overnight in Kona be sure to stay after dark when the volcano really comes to life. 

Do check the weather/road reports. The big island got hammered with a Kona Low last weekend and several roads are entirely closed from flooding. I believe they will open shortly and likely won’t effect your trip, but it never hurts to take a look just before venturing out. 

pS- My brother loves the donut place on the south coast (it’s famous, you can’t miss it).  Good spot for a potty break.

Volcano during the day, at dusk, after dark….

C95764F5-34D0-43A0-BD04-44CC8877527E.jpeg

16F81841-DDF5-40C6-808B-11BDE022291C.jpeg

CDF0D14F-8F49-4696-9616-721D8255E967.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014

• 2 weeks later...