Refundable vs Non Refundable Deposit

Piper77

I haven't booked Celebrity in a while and would appreciate some expert info on their 'new to me' deposit system.

Booked a May Med cruise in January and chose the refundable deposit option as it was still so far out and wanted some no risk flexibility.  Cruise price has now dropped significantly and I plan to either get the price adjustment or completely rebook.  Since our final payment date is Feb 26th and barring any unseen incident we do plan on going, I'm wondering if I should save even more money and not pay the premium for the refundable deposit.  BUT...I'm not clear on what we get back if we cancel after the final payment date.  I understand the sliding scale (ie 25%, 50%, 75% based on days to sailing) - but does that apply to both the refundable and non refundable deposit?  

I tried to call but was on hold too long.  Thanks!!

Yes the penalty scale is the same for both refundable/non-refundable deposit.   If you were to cancel in the 25% phase I'd assume that would be at least your deposit amount.   If it were less than the deposit I'm not sure if you would get FCC or if the deposit amount would be forfeited.   If it were me I'd do the non-refundable deposit in a heartbeat given you are so close to final.

on a cruise for the end of next year my deposit is 900 or i can pay 2600 for a refundable deposit. obviously i'm missing something as this makes zero sense.

does celebrity have the same kind of deal where you can transfer the NRD to another cruise for a fee?

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

on a cruise for the end of next year my deposit is 900 or i can pay 2600 for a refundable deposit. obviously i'm missing something as this makes zero sense.

does celebrity have the same kind of deal where you can transfer the NRD to another cruise for a fee?

Yes, there is $100 per person fee to move a NRD to another cruise.  I personally am not willing to pay a huge premium just to avoid that $100 pp fee in the rare occasion I might have to cancel and transfer to a new cruise.

It would probably be best to call your agent or celebrity and have them reprice your room with a NR Deposit.   You can do a mock booking to see what the extra is for the Refundable -  You select it as an option and broken out as a PER ROOM rate.

If your change at anytime you are charge $100 pp  plus the same percentage penalty fee after final payment as  Refundable. 

If you cancel prior to final payment you receive back a FCC in the amount of deposit less $100 pp.   The FCC is good for 1 year.

Last week a couple days prior to Final Payment a CS opened up and was about $700 less than my CS but was NR.   I had them reprice at no cost and reduced my final payment by $700.    Since I know we are going to me it was a no brainer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, prmssk said:

Yes, there is $100 per person fee to move a NRD to another cruise.  I personally am not willing to pay a huge premium just to avoid that $100 pp fee in the rare occasion I might have to cancel and transfer to a new cruise.

thats good info. i still cannot comprehend why anyone would pay 2600 bucks to have a 900 deposit back on a villa. has to be computer error lol. the 100 fee to change dates is a bargain comparatively. smarter marketing would be charge 450 so you get your 900 back. would make  you really think then.  

11 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

thats good info. i still cannot comprehend why anyone would pay 2600 bucks to have a 900 deposit back on a villa. has to be computer error lol. the 100 fee to change dates is a bargain comparatively. smarter marketing would be charge 450 so you get your 900 back. would make  you really think then.  

Nope.. not a typo.   

How about this for an Iconic Suite -  It usually runs 1-3%.    Like you said. Why would anyone pay it unless they are very Risk Averse. 

Iain is very risk averse.    He always tells me to book a Refundable after all the problems of the Covid Shutdown.    I always book NR and he always reminds me, you are responsible if we have to cancel.    I said only if you pay me the difference of fares -  I'll take the risk. 

image.thumb.png.bf6685b03c1034158964cfe2d963a182.png

• Haha 1

I ended up calling Celebrity and it is very misleading in my opinion.  Sounds like if I do non refundable DEPOSIT option (yes, they only really mention the 'deposit' portion when you book) and cancel after final payment - you are only eligible for FCC.  I guess that makes sense given the premium you are paying BUT....there is no mention of that in the small print when you are on the website screen where you make your choice.  It only talks about losing $100 of you deposit and getting the rest of the deposit back as a FCC.  There is no mention of FCC for the full amount paid.

I'll probably still do the non refundable, but they sure did not make it easy to understand the full implications.

The real only cost is the full amount of your deposit if you cancel and can't use the remaining FCC within one year to book a new cruise.    It also get's a little more complicated.   If you book a cruise with a NR, and   cancel and they issue a FCC  50% to each guest individually.   

Edited by Jim_Iain