Odd couple goes on the inside passage 😊 where to eat, drink and shop

kcdancerkc

We are not  going on any excursions, except maybe the tram…in Juneau depending on the weather that day

our other money will be spent on spa packages 

our main goal here is to watch the scenery go by

take a nap

go dancing at night.  

Therefore besides researching each port

I like to start here with those in-the-know 😎

Literally we want to get off each port and have a mixed drink and food. Not pubs. 

unusual shops?

not into history or old timey souvenirs 

is uber a thing at any stop?

expensive to hire a car to 

get further from overflowing PAX.?

Thanks sooo much 🌈

Edited by kcdancerkc

Unusual post. 

Have you ever been to Alaska? I think you will be missing out big time with your plan. Many ports are tourist traps - most times the best scenery is getting out of the port city.

Definitely different than the Caribbean. If main goal is to stay on ship and nap - maybe go back to the Caribbean? Alaska is really different.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

It would help if you provided your itinerary so we can make specific recommendations.

A cruise to Alaska is generally about the ports, not so much the ship life.  The scenery is spectacular from the ship, even more so when you’re out exploring Alaska!  And, you don’t need to book an excursion.  Very easy to DIY at some ports.

If you do take the tram in Juneau, there’s a spot on top for some food and drinks.  We’ve just had drinks so can’t comment on the food.  Some places we’ve enjoyed:  The Rookery, Twisted Fish, The Hangar.  Even though it’s pretty touristy, the Red Dog Saloon is fun to get a Duck Fart.  At Ketchikan, we like to go to the Asylum Bar for drinks and burgers.  Cape Fox Lodge is a nice place for lunch and drinks.  Skagway has the Skagway Brewery (basic pub food), Skagway Spirits (no food but great mixed drinks) and Bombay Cafe for some tasty Indian food.

Unusual shops?  I always look for local artists at the ports (stores will have made in Alaska stickers/signs).  I always buy soap at the Glacier Soap Company (glacier silt in it).

We tend to walk in ports or rent cars (Skagway, Juneau)so can’t comment on the availability of Uber/Lyft.  In Juneau, if renting, be sure that you’re renting from the cruise dock area and not the airport.  If you want to rent a car, I would book now.  There is limited availability at these ports.  In Juneau, a day rental costs us about $125.

Edited by disneyochem

Personally, If I were you I wouldn't waste your money going to Alaska. Spa use is the very last thing on my mind when in alaska, and there's no way I'd be skipping out on excursions. Unless you're just really overworked and tired and need a week to rejuvenate, but even then, you can do that for 1/3 of the price on a Caribbean cruise. 

• Like 2

So...judging from your other post on this board, you're on the Eurodam?

After my one and only Alaska cruise (so far), what you are planning is very similar to what I said I wouldn't mind doing. I would spend more time just watching the scenery go by and less time doing anything else on board. I hope you have a balcony...that will make what you are planning that much more enjoyable IMO.

Sharing from my own experience...Ketchikan is very walkable. I had arranged for a personal tour through tours by locals and sadly, our tour guide was a no show. So we had no plan there and all we did was walk around. IDK how your mobility is...we ended up walking through the shopping area at Creek Street and climbing up the stairs to the resort at the top of the hill. Cape Fox Lodge. Very nice view. It could possibly be a very lovely place to have a meal and/or a drink at a restaurant there. I'd check it out. We actually ate at the Fish House with so many other cruisers in port where I had the best salmon chowder I've ever eaten  and DS waxed eloquent about the salmon fish and chips...they have choices on the fish. It was a struggle to find a place to sit...think group sitting at picnic like tables, so don't think that's the atmosphere you're going for. They did have alcohol...we had local brew there. I would try the lodge for better atmosphere and the view.

In Juneau, we rented a car. We needed to take a taxi to and from and it wasn't super expensive OR cheap. We ate at a place called the Sand Lot, I think...one local called it the Sand Box...which is a bit of a dive atmosphere...pool tables, tvs, something of a sports bar atmosphere a la Alaska...but the food was excellent and we could have local brew there. Craft beer is more our thing.

In Icy Strait Point you will have the most enjoyable version of what you are planning. The port is absolutely stunning. I recall that there is a place there with an outside patio and a fire pit going...they served food and drinks. Looks like you will be there in the evening and with the late sunsets, you will have plenty of daylight before the sunsets and should get a spectacular view there.

Can't speak for Sitka or Victoria.

Enjoy your cruise! If I didn't live on the opposite coast with airfare so outrageous...I would book a last minute deal in a heartbeat and do exactly what you are doing.  

Eurodam yes,😊

Thanks for some appetizers!

I guess I should have explained more in my post

Inside Passage = 
Seattle. Juneau. Icy Straight Point. Sitka.

Ketchikan   Victoria British Columbia 

I am a therapist 

and work to help others with mental health issues 

so yes I am tired = when I get back from vacation 

I am refreshed 🌈

so we do a lazy and an active vacation each year

we want to see glaciers, sea life and landscape 

we prefer going south, but this is a family birthday trip and a bucket list

I have a face nerve disease called Trigeminal Neuralgia 

.03 percent have this. 

Therefore I really could become verrry uncomfortable if I were to get triggered while trying to trek all around up north, by foot, by small boat etc.

There are no pain meds if I get triggered.  

mostly in remission, but I can’t stop living 

“just in case”

I was fortunate enough to parasail in Maui last year and I didn’t get my face triggered too much. But there’s always that risk.

We work to travel, Definitely far far from the 1% 🤣🤣

Hubby gets many points for airfare and car rentals and hotels…because he works his butt off

if he didn’t we wouldn’t be able to afford our first suite 

this one time for this one special family  trip ….so excited 🤩

so

like burger king says

have it your way

So do nothing 

or do everything 

Thats just one reason we love cruising 😎

PS. rarely on these boards since 2007 have I felt the need to explain myself

but it was sort of……

Theraputic. 😂

☮️

Edited by kcdancerkc

I have done 2 Alaska cruise - both on NCL and I can't comment on HAL. But someone else touched on this - There isn't a nightlife on Alaska cruises. The average age of passengers are older - AND the time difference for most passengers is at least 1 hour. Depending if your ship changes clocks once or twice - Even if you're from CAL - that's 2 hours earlier and 4 for me in midwest.  So At 7am ship time - my body thinks it is 10-11 am (almost lunch time). Plus the ships usually dock early because of the time zone difference also.  I was in my 30s or early 40s first Alaska cruise - and I was surprised how quiet it was onboard.  But you will be on a floating hotel -  I like the spa for Alaska - it's a great place to go after dinner to relax before bed.

• Like 2

We are from Missouri also. We will dance till there is no more. I realize there is no 2am nightlife like most of our cruises ☹️

we are 60

but socially 30 😂

the good news is that I sleep late here

because I work late 

so 7 am will feel like my normal morning time 

however it’s gonna to mess up hubbys time clock 

because he is the opposite of my night owl biology 

thanks!

Edited by kcdancerkc
  • Like 1