Some questions about Sky Princess and Southampton turn-around day

lucas34

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the Sky Princess both on board and after the cruise in Southampton. Who could help?

In the deluxe balcony DW cabin, when there are three adults in the cabin, is the balcony accessible and can the minibar be opened?

Is it true that there are only 2 production shows on a two week cruise on Princess?

Can you go to the MDR with your own wine glass (wine bottle brought on board in Southampton)?

Is there still a Chocolate Breakfast buffet on the morning of the second (or last) sea day on the two-week cruise?

Does Princess charge for another lobster during lobster dinner, as some cruise lines do?

The ship arrives in Southampton at 07am, I guess that you must leave your cabin by 8am and disembarkation will be at 07.30am - 09am? But what time is the breakfast at MDR and buffet that morning?

I saw that on the turn-around day in Southampton there are a total of six cruise ships, or 50,000+ passengers, how to get a taxi; must be a bit challenging, we will fly out from Southampton´s airport?

We’ve disembarked in Southampton a few times.  I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

In a deluxe balcony, the third bed is in the loveseat, which your room steward will do for you each evening.  Yes, you can access your balcony and fridge.

Yes, you can take a glass of wine into the MDR, although the wine you brought onboard is supposed to be for consumption only in your cabin.

The production shows will usually be one per week.

I, personally have never attended a chocolate buffet breakfast, so can’t help you there.

I don’t eat lobster, sorry

Disembarking in Southampton can be chaotic.   Breakfast buffet usually starts before 6:00am.  I would pre-book a car service to pick you up at the ship, such as Blackberry Cars.  I wouldn’t want to rely on just jumping into a cab at the pier.  However, you’re flying out of Southampton Airport, which is only about four miles away so you’ll be doing a short ride.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I don't think you will have a problem getting a taxi (or Uber) on the day. The majority of passengers will have driven to the port,  or will be on coaches. 

Those using taxis will just be using them for short local runs, so there will be a constant flow of taxis coming and going.

Which day are you disembarking - it us quite unusual to have six ships in port on the same day.

As an aside, I'm not sure which airline you are using, but I assume you know that Flybe have gone out of business.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't think you will have a problem getting a taxi (or Uber) on the day. The majority of passengers will have driven to the port,  or will be on coaches. 

Those using taxis will just be using them for short local runs, so there will be a constant flow of taxis coming and going.

Which day are you disembarking - it us quite unusual to have six ships in port on the same day.

As an aside, I'm not sure which airline you are using, but I assume you know that Flybe have gone out of business.

Thanks for your help!

We will fly with KLM from Southampton to Helsinki via Amsterdam.

There will be 6 cruise ships that day; Sky Princess/Iona (P&O Cruises)/Celebrity Silhouette/MSC Virtuosa/MSC Grandiosa/Mein Schiff 3 (TUI)  so busy day...

1 minute ago, lucas34 said:

Thanks for your help!

We will fly with KLM from Southampton to Helsinki via Amsterdam.

There will be 6 cruise ships that day; Sky Princess/Iona (P&O Cruises)/Celebrity Silhouette/MSC Virtuosa/MSC Grandiosa/Mein Schiff 3 (TUI)  so busy day...

Wow ! That's a lot of ships.

What time is your flight ?

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Wow ! That's a lot of ships.

What time is your flight ?

At 5pm so we will take one day room that day. The reason why we fly from Southampton is that I got almost -50% compared to Heathrow/Gatwick prices 😉

6 minutes ago, lucas34 said:

At 5pm so we will take one day room that day. The reason why we fly from Southampton is that I got almost -50% compared to Heathrow/Gatwick prices 😉

At least you have plenty of time !

Depending on which hotel and how much luggage you have, you could possibly even walk to your hotel.

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At least you have plenty of time !

Depending on which hotel and how much luggage you have, you could possibly even walk to your hotel.

There are 3 of us and 6 suitcases, so a taxi would be better.

I see you live in England, Can you perhaps suggest some of these hotels for the day; Jurys Inn (ex Leonardo), Novotel Southampton or Premier Inn Southampton Airport?

7 minutes ago, lucas34 said:

There are 3 of us and 6 suitcases, so a taxi would be better.

I see you live in England, Can you perhaps suggest some of these hotels for the day; Jurys Inn (ex Leonardo), Novotel Southampton or Premier Inn Southampton Airport?

They are all reasonable budget hotels. Personally, I would choose a city centre hotel, for shopping, meals etc. There is nothing of interest near the Premier Inn, apart from the airport of course !

Do these hotels actually offer day rooms ?

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

They are all reasonable budget hotels. Personally, I would choose a city centre hotel, for shopping, meals etc. There is nothing of interest near the Premier Inn, apart from the airport of course !

Do these hotels actually offer day rooms ?

Yes, all of these offer day rooms. I agree with you, downtown is better than near the airport.

What you think between Jurys Inn and Novotel (or Holiday Inn)?

Although I have cruised a lot, my last cruise with Princess was 31 years ago, it is interesting to see how the cruise line has changed during this time (I still have the old menus etc.)...

4 hours ago, lucas34 said:

Yes, all of these offer day rooms. I agree with you, downtown is better than near the airport.

What you think between Jurys Inn and Novotel (or Holiday Inn)?

Although I have cruised a lot, my last cruise with Princess was 31 years ago, it is interesting to see how the cruise line has changed during this time (I still have the old menus etc.)...

Sorry, I have not stayed in either of those,  but I'm sure that for 5 or 6 hours they will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Radio cab in Southampton from Premier Inn West Quay to dock.  Premier Inn West Quay had a direct phone line to Radio, can’t help with a phone number.

Cab driver said embarkment and disembarkment are their busiest days, we had pre booked once we arrived at the hotel.

He said Radio is the biggest cab company in the area.

Post on Port of Call - Britain.

Maybe post for John Bull as he is from the area and can help with phone/email numbers

Edited by phabric

On 2/13/2023 at 2:39 AM, lucas34 said:

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the Sky Princess both on board and after the cruise in Southampton. Who could help?

In the deluxe balcony DW cabin, when there are three adults in the cabin, is the balcony accessible and can the minibar be opened? Are you referring to when the loveseat is made into a bed? If so, then no.

Is it true that there are only 2 production shows on a two week cruise on Princess? There is always some entertainment each night, even though it may not be considered a "production show".

Can you go to the MDR with your own wine glass (wine bottle brought on board in Southampton)? We always do, no problem. It was usually purchased in Vines or Good Spirits. You are allowed one bottle per person (max of 2 per cabin) to bring on board, before a corkage fee is required.

Is there still a Chocolate Breakfast buffet on the morning of the second (or last) sea day on the two-week cruise? I have never heard of this.

Does Princess charge for another lobster during lobster dinner, as some cruise lines do? A couple at a table next to us was on their 15th lobster when we left our table; on the Grand last September.

The ship arrives in Southampton at 07am, I guess that you must leave your cabin by 8am and disembarkation will be at 07.30am - 09am? But what time is the breakfast at MDR and buffet that morning? We like self- embarkation (we carry our own luggage) and our meeting place was in the Crown Grill. They allowed us to leave at 7:30 am which was the very first group off of the ship.

I saw that on the turn-around day in Southampton there are a total of six cruise ships, or 50,000+ passengers, how to get a taxi; must be a bit challenging, we will fly out from Southampton´s airport? I do not know, because we had pre-booked Blackberry Cabs for a transfer from the ship to LHR.

See my replies in Red above in the quote.

3 hours ago, lucas34 said:

I'm still thinking about the possibility of pre-ordering transportation from the ship to the hotel after the cruise. Can anyone recommend reliable companies?

To a hotel in Southampton  ? I wouldn't bother. There is a constant flow of taxis coming to the terminal.