On Diamond Now En Route to Japan

Bobbiegentry

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Very nice shower.  Are you in a balcony or less (aka shower stall or tub)?

Disappointing about Good Spirits, but totally understand.

I'm guessing with so few passengers, they do not have all MDR's open.  

A heads up and railing holding ahead.  There is a low coming in from the West (Kauai).  You are heading right into it this week/weekend.  Hopefully, it will have cleared out of Kauai before you get to that island.  

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/02/13/breaking-news/high-surf-advisory-in-effect-for-hawaiis-eastern-shores/

M1 

Was hoping for better weather but 🤷🏼‍♂️.  it is what it is. 
Grew up on the Big Island so such happenings are to be expected from time to time. 

1 hour ago, Bobbiegentry said:

M1 

Was hoping for better weather but 🤷🏼‍♂️.  it is what it is. 
Grew up on the Big Island so such happenings are to be expected from time to time. 

I knew it!  Kindred soul. 

Which end of Hawaii Island?  Love Hilo.  Friends in Waimea.  Extended family at Manago Hotel.  

The following us offered FYI ONLY.

This morning at breakfast in the MDR I asked the MD about men wearing shorts at dinner in the MDR. 
He advised that is a battle this ship (he added all others as well) has chosen not to fight. Anything goes. If they turn someone away they go the purser’s desk and complain. He advised it wasn’t worth it 

He went on to say that there were those who arrived for dinner on “formal night” in shorts and tee shirts. They were seated. 
All of that said, I’ll continue to wear my black jeans and Hawaiian shirt every night on every dining room and elsewhere on every ship.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Lorraineroth said:

Hi,

Hope you are enjoying! I have not cruised since COVID. Are there still dress up nights? Sport Jackets? TUX? or just nice evening attire, dresses for ladies and dress shirts for men?

Thank you. Your response will be very helpful for my packing!!!

There are many, many threads on dress options here on CC. 

A “dress up” or what is laughably known as “formal” night will come around about once a week or so on most cruises. 

Please see my post #31 above for information specific to this cruise. 

In summary, wear whatever you wish.

If you choose to wear a tux to dinner, great do it! If you choose to wear shorts to dinner, great do it!

On this cruise (in CC) we’ve not seen anyone in a tux or equivalent, some ties and jackets, but a fair number of dressy folks. We’ve also seen shorts on “formal night”. 

Despite some here trying their best to convince everyone that “dressing up” is mandatory (their point of view has gone the way of the dodo bird!!), it simply IS NOT SO. 

Dress how you wish. 

Dress in a way which suits your comfort level.

If you choose to be bullied by the fashion police, so be it. 

If you choose to go your own way, so be it. 

ANY dress is acceptable in ANY dining room on ANY ship on ANY itinerary on ANY night of the cruise. 

Hope this answers your concerns. 

• Like 3

I just booked the Japan Cruisetour next year for 15 days. It just opened up yesterday to book. I'm very interested in knowing all I can about the Diamond Princess and what's different about her since she's been earmarked for the Asian Sailings. Since it begins and ends in Japan I'm thinking there will be a lot of locals and westerners. That's cultural diversity at it's finest. When people are on a cruise they are friendly and it's the greatest way interact with people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Don't mind the self-test, but all those days with mask on?  Not for me, TYVM.  Enjoy!

For the first few days out of San Diego, I’d estimate about 80% compliance with masking. As the days have worn on, I’d estimate it’s down to about 60%. 

10 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

For the first few days out of San Diego, I’d estimate about 80% compliance with masking. As the days have worn on, I’d estimate it’s down to about 60%. 

Interesting.  So, is it a recommendation or a Captain's order?  If the latter, seems odd on the compliance or it's just that mask mandates are so far gone now around world.

Now having dinner (CC in Santa Fe MDR). Saw two guys in separate groups walk in wearing shorts. One was even wearing flip flops!! 
They were seated and appeared to be enjoying their meals. 

I’m wearing black jeans and a Hawaiian shirt. 
Funny thing about all of this. The ship remained upright and afloat. There were no tremors felt. Everyone in the MDR seemed to also enjoy their meals and most importantly, despite the boorish behavior of these two miscreants, no one died!!

Happy Endings had by all. 
Life is good!!!😃😃😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Now having dinner (CC in Santa Fe MDR). Saw two guys in separate groups walk in wearing shorts. One was even wearing flip flops!! 
They were seated and appeared to be enjoying their meals. 

I’m wearing black jeans and a Hawaiian shirt. 
Funny thing about all of this. The ship remained upright and afloat. There were no tremors felt. Everyone in the MDR seemed to also enjoy their meals and most importantly, despite the boorish behavior of these two miscreants, no one died!!

Happy Endings had by all. 
Life is good!!!😃😃😃

Happy endings!

life IS Good! OH BEHAVE!

Edited by charlie murphy
  • Haha 1

Hi @Bobbiegentry,

Loving the updates. Very true about how awful it must have been to see a pair of shorts in the MDR. The sheer horror.

How has the entertainment/shows been? Is Sophie still the cruise director? I don't know if any of the cruise directors Princess used to have pre-COVID on the Japan itineraries have stayed; we'll miss them. Please share with us the picture board of crew members!

Are you finding yourself bored with the food in the buffet yet lol? (as if!)

And how have the seas been thus far? I've imagined doing a transpacific but the Pacific can be an unpredictable one. Wishing you many more days of smooth sailing!

Just now, Lorraineroth said:

hi,

Can you please tell me what time the theater show is. I tried calling princess. They told me 8-10:30. Doesn't seem right. Usually ships have an early and a later one?? Are most people dressed up on the formal nights?

Thank you in advance.

image.thumb.jpg.289d12d9a6e9008a8dedab8bd19f0bc8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.8f12eeed20c436fba5091860ddcac446.jpg

Just now, Bobbiegentry said:

image.thumb.jpg.289d12d9a6e9008a8dedab8bd19f0bc8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.8f12eeed20c436fba5091860ddcac446.jpg

Thus far on sea days the shows have been at 6:30 and 8:30. Port days at 8:30 only. 

As noted previously, I’ve sern the full range of dress in the MDR (Santa Fe) for dinner from shorts/flip flops to full on formal. 
On the so called “formal nights” there are, of course, more folks dressed fancy. I’d estimate about 50%. The rest of us mostly long pants and regular collared shirt sleeve shirts. 
And a few in shorts. 
You will fit in whatever your choice of dress. 
Be comfortable. Whatever you determine that to be for you.