Getting to Southampton Cruise Terminal

longstrider

We are embarking on our first cruise on the Arcadia 6 June

We plan to hire a taxi from Bristol to Southampton, which isn’t cheap but is door to door, without the faff of an overnight hotel etc.

We wondered if any one would be interested in travelling with us to share the journey break the ice etc.

29 minutes ago, longstrider said:

We are embarking on our first cruise on the Arcadia 6 June

We plan to hire a taxi from Bristol to Southampton, which isn’t cheap but is door to door, without the faff of an overnight hotel etc.

We wondered if any one would be interested in travelling with us to share the journey break the ice etc.

Surprised you’d even consider an overnight just coming from Bristol. It’s a comfortable 2 hours by car or train. Given that you can’t board until the afternoon, it doesn’t even require an early start! 

22 minutes ago, longstrider said:

Sorry but when you are disabled it aint all plain sailing !

My wife is a full time wheelchair user. We have done the Bristol to Southampton journey at least 100 times, not just for cruises but for our regular trips to the Isle of Wight. Just trying to save you unnecessary expense, as not once have we ever considered an overnight stay the night before, even when we are booked on a midday ferry, let alone a cruise that doesn’t leave until very late afternoon / early evening. We always use the M4 and A34 but there’s also the option of the A36 via Salisbury. Takes a bit longer but is an option for those who don’t like motorways or worry about the potential to get stuck if there’s an accident (only happened to us once, but we still got to the ship with hours to spare). 

Obviously if neither of you can drive that’s a different matter, but if you want to avoid the huge cost of a cab there is an hourly direct train service from Bristol to Southampton if that works for you. It also stops at Filton Abbeywood and Bath Spa, if either of those are closer to you than Temple Meads. The cruise terminals are then a 5-10 minute cab journey from Southampton Central. Not as convenient as a cab all the way, but a fraction of the cost. As I say, just some other options to consider.

• Like 1

It was a perfectly legitimate question. I live near Bristol and always now get a taxi to Southampton. There is no way I could cope with cruise luggage on my own on the train, especially since assistance is unreliable, and can no longer drive longer distances. Had it been a different date I would have accepted.

I would suggest Longstrider posts this on the roll call for the cruise however.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, longstrider said:

Thanks for the advice

You’re welcome. Like Sharon, we couldn’t entertain the train, as I couldn’t push my wife and the luggage at the same time, but I just thought I’d throw that into the mix not knowing what level of disability you are dealing with.

Obviously a car is always going to be the easiest and most comfortable option, so if taking your own car on the day isn’t an option then, if you can afford it, a cab will take the pressure off. Good luck in finding someone to share with. As Sharon says, a roll call might be a good idea. Someone travelling from South Wales has to pass Bristol, so there could be an option there as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Britannia Rule said:

Has anyone used the P&O cruise connector bus (we’d be from Bristol). TYIA

We've used Intercruises and Evesway. If you sacrifice some on board credit to get a coach transfer it will be Intercruises. Evesway are slightly better coaches. Both are great options though (we use them from Trowel services on the M1). Put your luggage in the hold on the coach and it's straight to your cabin. No stress journey down. No worries about parking. Whatever your allocated embarkation time you embark as soon as you get there.