Should I book next Cruise while on the ship?

JEN5508

Booking on board doesn’t save you any money, it’s just a lower deposit and some OBC.  The quotes we got onboard were really expensive, so we paid the deposit but didn’t book the cruise until we got home (it was Black Friday the week after, so prices were much cheaper).  You have a few weeks to book after you get back and still get the OBC, you have 12 months to book and not lose the deposit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

Booking on board doesn’t save you any money, it’s just a lower deposit and some OBC.  The quotes we got onboard were really expensive, so we paid the deposit but didn’t book the cruise until we got home (it was Black Friday the week after, so prices were much cheaper).  You have a few weeks to book after you get back and still get the OBC, you have 12 months to book and not lose the deposit.

This. I also get group rates that are refundable from my ta. I dont want a nonrefundable rate I'm locked into.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

This. I also get group rates that are refundable from my ta. I dont want a nonrefundable rate I'm locked into.  

I'm not 100%.   I *think* i've booked nonrefundable rates.  I've transferred it to my TA who then said "I got a group for that, let me put you into that", my price drops, and it became refundable.  This last time, I KNEW my TA had a group already before boarding, so when I booked, I booked refundable, and then my price dropped by 300 when i transferred it into the group when i got home.  I know i normally book non-refundable onboard.  I know i've been put into groups after booking. But i can't remember if i've ever done it like this or not.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Always book when you're ready to book as prices can go up by the time you get on the ship, negating any OBC

Like he said.

You definitely have to be following the trends to know that the price on board is a good starting point which gets you an OBC with a smaller deposit.

If you make changes after that, the advantages evaporate.

You will find a plethora of opinions here and no one has a definite answer.

Good luck on your decision, it can be like trying to play the stock market. 😁

If you just pay the deposit onboard to book after your cruise, just be aware that the phone number they give you to call to book the next cruise on your acknowledgement email is invalid.  I understand it would have been your travel agent's number if used but if you booked direct, the phone # would have a bogus 999 area code with no other explanation.  And you can't book the next cruise online.

Call the regular Royal phone # to book or give your TA the booking # provided.

8 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

I'm not 100%.   I *think* i've booked nonrefundable rates.  I've transferred it to my TA who then said "I got a group for that, let me put you into that", my price drops, and it became refundable.  This last time, I KNEW my TA had a group already before boarding, so when I booked, I booked refundable, and then my price dropped by 300 when i transferred it into the group when i got home.  I know i normally book non-refundable onboard.  I know i've been put into groups after booking. But i can't remember if i've ever done it like this or not.

If you book on board as non refundable the booking stays as non refundable regardless of whether it gets moved to a group.  It is impossible to take a non refundable booking and make it refundable.