Considering taking our 1st Transatlantic for our 30th Anniversary.  JUst wondering if you would recommend a Minimum ship size?  The worst seas we have felt were all on ships under 100,000 tons.  I suspect that isn't a coincidence.  But wondering if we should look at the going on the biggest "or widest " ships for a transatlantic to increase our chances of feeling any rough waters less.  Would love to hear others experience and what their ship was.  TIA

Edited by MillbrookMom
spelling

We generally select our cruises based on itinerary - including where the cruise embarks & disembarks...

We've done Trans Pacific (including the Bering Sea) & Trans Atlantic - both medium & large ships.

We've also hit both typhoons & hurricanes w/out negative effects on both sizes.

Not to be too alarmist - we've also sailed through these waters w/ no adverse weather 🙂

Are you generally good on ships or is motion a challenge for you?

What factors of the cruise & ship are important to you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MillbrookMom said:

Considering taking our 1st Transatlantic for our 30th Anniversary.  JUst wondering if you would recommend a Minimum ship size?  The worst seas we have felt were all on ships under 100,000 tons.  I suspect that isn't a coincidence.  But wondering if we should look at the going on the biggest "or widest " ships for a transatlantic to increase our chances of feeling any rough waters less.  Would love to hear others experience and what their ship was.  TIA

The size of a ship has very little to do with the ship's ability to handle seas. The design, scantlings and stability have greater impact on sea keeping qualities. To put it in perspective, the inaugural RCCL 200K ship received damage during her initial crossing of the Atlantic, in seas we used to cross comfortably at about 20 kts.

I have completed many trans-Atlantics & trans-Pacifics and encountered Meddy storms on 20,000 to 40,000 ton liners - Oriana, Canberra & Uganda and they were all vastly superior ships to any current ships of over 100,000 tons. Best current ship for a trans-Atlantic is QM2.

Personally, I would pick the ship that best meets your cruising style - smaller more luxury, or a floating mega resort. 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, MillbrookMom said:

There is a big difference between a North Atlantic crossing and a Southern Atlantic crossing.  If you are sailing on a Millennium size ship to or from Florida you will be fine.  

• Like 2