New/different COVID boarding requirements for boarding Explorer in Tokyo, March/April(?) 2023

Portolan

A simple 15 min self test in private in my hotel room at a time of my choice beats lining up in the hotel ballroom with 50-70 other people for a mass testing experience at a set time. 
Take a couple of tests with you. That is what we did. Test again at different time if you get a positive. That what we did, Dr suggestion to allow for for a false positive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ddsun1 said:

Yes, I did call Regent two days ago and they will not be testing for the Explorer cruise embarking March 14th; it is the responsibility of the cruiser(s).

"dd", Thanks for the confirmation.  Although it could be argued that many of us "have no dog in this fight" (since we're not booked on this particular cruise), it now appears that this could actually happen to any of us on a future/upcoming booked cruise, if this is a "new Regent practice"  (remember that in the past, Regent gave already-booked/paid passengers the option of "backing out" on short notice, with no financial penalty, if emerging/last minute Covid protocols/conditions made their own risk-analysis feel "uneasy" about cruising).

For this cruise however, it now seems that a "new and last-minute" Regent-imposed Covid self-testing requirement is being levied on passengers, and is required to be arranged/performed (by themselves - the passengers) within just 3 days of embarkation...and in this case, for a cruise with a foreign embarkation port that has taken most people many hours to get to.  The required testing (with a "negative test result") has to take place once the passengers are actually in the foreign country - Japan, which for most all travelers has taken them at least 24 hours to get too, counting an overnight hotel stay!

And I think most-importantly (and the I guess the "Crux of my Beef")...Is having this completely "new and significant added requirement" imposed/levied on each customer AFTER their final payment was collected by Regent.  I generally agree with others who might say as a general statement..."everyone knew what the conditions were before they booked the cruise, and each customer presumably made their own individual risk assessments accordingly".  But all those risk assessments were made based upon "the conditions" that were known before their final payments were made.

"But this is not that" I would argue (perhaps wrongly in some peoples' view) that in the case of this cruise (and perhaps other future cruises that could affect all of us) significant new and additional changes/conditions/testing & boarding protocols were suddenly put into place with barely a month left before the cruise actually commences.  These booked passengers are now having to "scramble" (with no real financial choice or alternative option available to them) to meet these new last minute health-related boarding requirements.  Requirements and risks assessments they may very well  NOT have accepted or agreed to when they first booked, and particularly not when their final payments were due.  Now, they are all having to accept and meet these terms, whether they like it or not" (or accept a huge personal financial "hit" if they now cancel on their own).  What "fun and pleasure" (sarc) that's going to be for them all, to be planning, packing, and travelling to Japan with the cloud/possibility of a "positive test result" on embarkation day hanging over their heads!  I do not envy them in the least, at this point.  Regards to all.

• Like 1

Pingpong,

Your comments above more than caused me to realize the possible 'what ifs' now involved.  As a result and front of mind - what happens if the test result is positive, prior to the Regent three day land tour of Tokyo and following, the fourteen day cruise?  I have not received any information regarding same.

We are on the April 25th Tokyo to Tokyo cruise with the pre-cruse tour of Tokyo. We will self-test before we leave the US. We will self-test again in Tokyo within the required timeframe. Or, we will visit a nearby Tokyo testing facility that the hotel recommended.  We are comfortable with the risk that a negative test in Tokyo will impact the cruise.

Additionally, we will be getting an additional booster 30 days before travel. This process is no more demanding than what we experienced on our 2022 spring cruise to Alaska or our 2021 November Med cruise. Both of those trips required extensive testing. Covid is everywhere these days. If you are really concerned, check your insurance or rebook if possible. 

Edited by CruiseLibra

Reference whose dog(s) are already in, or will join the hunt (when boarding later in 2023 for a cruise segment involving Japan):

Our dogs will join this September when embarking on Explorer for Japan--then doing the 3-day stay-over. 

Thus, following this Thread. 

Will be important to note how Regent deals with and explains COVID testing protocol requirements. Hopefully, it will be proactive in this respect; rather than having us twist in the wind awaiting guidance.  Regent will transport us to Japan.  Anticipate any testing--whether self-initiated or coordinated for completion by Regent Staff--will be sometime when at sea.  We have gone through this Regent drill twice before.  It was well-handled.  No long lines. Quick turn-around as to results which were obtained later the same day. 

Still, will pack some self-testing kits.  

Regards, 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Yes, I did call Regent two days ago and they will not be testing for the Explorer cruise embarking March 14th; it is the responsibility of the cruiser(s).

That is in line with Regent’s policy of the last few months.

Testing arrangements and the associated risks are now with guests, who are expected to have travel insurance to cover any losses incurred. Regent no longer underwrite the costs of cancellation, quarantine or curtailment due to a positive covid test (as they did previously)

It is a positive step that they are moving towards the acceptance of self administered antigen tests in those very few instances where testing is required.

We are on Explorer and were informed prior to the cruise that an antigen test will be required before docking in Taiwan; self test reported to medical centre - or $99pp if test done by Regent.

No special requirements indicated prior to entering Japanese waters ……….. but we are well aware that requirements can change at short notice.

Edited by flossie009

Following this thread closely. We are booked on the Explorer in October. Having experienced a 7 day quarantine in Israel, where my husband tested positive and I negative, and where our travel company STRONGLY suggested I leave for home while I could... A good suggestion since 2 days after getting home I was positive.... I know all too well the stress of testing positive thousands of miles from home. It doesn't sound nearly as horrible as it really is! So, if there is still a testing requirement in June when our final payment is due, we will sadly be cancelling our trip.

22 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Yup...."Easie-Peasie", as long as you test "negative"...  And what happens if you don't?

Take 2 tests. If the first one is positive, wait a while and test again.  If you're positive, you're positive. Then you claim it on your Cruise insurance.  This testing is the rule for Japan departures.  Why would Regent, Royal Caribbean, Princess also only require testing in Japan and no where else? 

20 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

For this cruise however, it now seems that a "new and last-minute" Regent-imposed Covid self-testing requirement is being levied on passengers,

If you check, pre-departure Covid testing is required for Japan Departures by the other cruise lines too. This seems to be a Japanese requirement, not Regent's.  If it wasn't mandatory, why would they suddenly impose it only on Japanese departures?   

8 hours ago, sabreline said:

Following this thread closely. We are booked on the Explorer in October. Having experienced a 7 day quarantine in Israel, where my husband tested positive and I negative, and where our travel company STRONGLY suggested I leave for home while I could... A good suggestion since 2 days after getting home I was positive.... I know all too well the stress of testing positive thousands of miles from home. It doesn't sound nearly as horrible as it really is! So, if there is still a testing requirement in June when our final payment is due, we will sadly be cancelling our trip.

What happened to you is my big worry.  Don’t want to be stuck away from home and having to quarantine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

What happened to you is my big worry.  Don’t want to be stuck away from home and having to quarantine.  

It didn't seem like it would be awful....just spend a week in a hotel, I thought.  It was without a doubt the WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE. 

We are just transiting Haneda tomorrow received this from JAL  on entry requirements for japan 

Dear Customers,

*This email has been sent to customers with an upcoming reservation.
  If you are on a waiting list, please confirm the JAL website for latest reservation status.

Thank you for choosing Japan Airlines.
Important: Please review this important travel information related to COVID-19 prevention measures prior to airport arrival.

Notice: For Passengers Entering into Japan
Returnees and entrants must hold a vaccination certificate (3 doses) or a certificate of examination within 72 hours before departure to enter Japan.
In addition, temporary measures are currently being applied to those who are entering Japan from China.
Please be sure to check the JAL website page entitled “Notice to all passengers entering Japan.”

Request for cooperation from the Government of Japan on preparations prior to travel
Due to the increase in the number of people entering the country due to the relaxation of border measures, it may take some time to complete the entry process after disembarking.
To reduce congestion upon arrival, please complete the immigration quarantine FAST TRACK (pre-quarantine procedure) before departure.

Notice: For Passengers with International Flight Connections/Transfers in Japan
Travelers who are directly transiting to a third country via Japan are not required to submit documents or undergo PCR testing for Japan. However, the following itineraries are considered “Entry into Japan” and require to submit entry documents.
Please review your itinerary carefully and contact your travel agent or JAL Reservations to make changes if necessary.
Itineraries considered “Entry into Japan”

Itineraries that require transfer between airports in Japan for connecting flights.
Routing with a connecting flight at Narita Int’l Airport (NRT) the following day.
Additionally for passengers transiting via Japan, please refer to the Entry Restrictions for each country
 and related information on Quarantine Measures.

Entry restrictions for each country / Quarantine measures
The situation of entry restrictions for each country / quarantine measures is changing on a daily basis. Please check in advance for travel conditions / quarantine measures of the destination and transit country from the link
Customers are also advised to check the latest relevant information from embassies, consulates, and health organizations of the destination country.

Wearing Masks
To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other infectious disease, and to help ease discomfort among customers, At airports and in aircraft cabin, please wear a face mask, etc. to cover your nose and mouth.
In some overseas countries, wearing a mask is no longer required. However, when using JAL flights, including domestic and international flights, please continue to wear a mask etc. in airports and aircraft in accordance with the guidelines of relevant ministries and agencies.
(Please continue to wear a mask at the airport and in aircraft cabin even after vaccination.)
(*If mask wearing is difficult, using face shield etc. is accepted.)

In addition, due to differences in the laws and regulations of the place of departure, destination, and port of call in codeshare flight operated by other companies, passengers are requested to check with diplomatic missions, relevant organizations, and the operating airline in each country/region before departure.

Checking in and boarding
Please complete your check-in by 60 minutes and arrive at the boarding gate around 30 minutes prior to your flight's scheduled departure time. You will not be able to board your flight if you arrive at the boarding gate less than 10 minutes before departure.

Information for baggage
- To avoid any crowding upon stowing or taking out your baggage in cabin, carry-on baggage must be limited to one personal item and one other piece of baggage within the specified allowance rulesSum of three sides within 115 cm (45 inches).
- Portable chargers (mobile batteries) for smartphones etc, e-cigarettes, and lighters cannot be checked in.
- Curling irons with batteries that cannot be removed cannot be carried onboard. Also, it cannot be checked in as hand luggage.
Please be sure to check the baggage rules before departure.

Others
- To prevent COVID-19 infection and airport counter congestion, we highly encourage our customers to check-in online to go security check point without stopping at the counter. Passengers with checked baggage, please go to baggage drop counter.

14 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

We are just transiting Haneda tomorrow received this from JAL  on entry requirements for japan 

Dear Customers,

*This email has been sent to customers with an upcoming reservation.
  If you are on a waiting list, please confirm the JAL website for latest reservation status.

Thank you for choosing Japan Airlines.
Important: Please review this important travel information related to COVID-19 prevention measures prior to airport arrival.

Notice: For Passengers Entering into Japan
Returnees and entrants must hold a vaccination certificate (3 doses) or a certificate of examination within 72 hours before departure to enter Japan.
In addition, temporary measures are currently being applied to those who are entering Japan from China.
Please be sure to check the JAL website page entitled “Notice to all passengers entering Japan.”

SO, it it correct that if you hold vaccination certificates (5 for us) and flying into Haneda you don't have to take a test 72 hours before departure to enter Japan? 

I think Regent are saying we can take a test at home ourselves as long as we have proof of a negative test?

14 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

r.

Edited by MarcyLondon

Hi.

The wording from Regent is copied below regarding self testing. I can't imagine that Regent will let us use our own test kit and take a photo of it. Surely this is open to abuse. Does the self testing mean that you buy a kit from a company and they 'watch' you take the test and then send you something as evidence that you gave tested negative.

Self-Testing

Antigen tests may be self-administered. Guests choosing to use a self- administered COVID-19 Antigen test must provide a timestamped photo showing:

The negative test result

. The Antigen test packaging displaying the batch number

. I.D. (e.g., passport).

Testing Resources

Should guests require assistance finding a COVID-19 testing location prior to departing home or while traveling, please click here to visit the Test for Travel website. Additionally, we have partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to provide hassle-free, online testing for our guests. Please click here for more information.

15 hours ago, LeicesterTigers said:

Does the self testing mean that you buy a kit from a company and they 'watch' you take the test and then send you something as evidence that you gave tested negative.

Although I haven't contacted anyone to verify this, I believe, based on the letter, that all you have to do is administer a test to yourself and follow the "verification" steps outlined.  Yes, this certainly can lead to abuse, but we're all adults and the theory is we're honest.  If they wanted one of the internet monitored tests they would specify that.  Those aren't actually "self tests," they're "monitored tests."  

18 hours ago, LeicesterTigers said:

I can't imagine that Regent will let us use our own test kit and take a photo of it.

Why not?

Surely this is open to abuse.

Maybe, but to what ends? Falsifying a result would be fraud.

Does the self testing mean that you buy a kit from a company and they 'watch' you take the test and then send you something as evidence that you gave tested negative.

That is not what is implied.

It appears that Regent are seeking the simplest solution to the imposed guidelines in order to minimise inconvenience for guests and avoid unnecessary cost & logistics for the company.

• Like 1

Rachel, as you preceed our cruise by two weeks, we would appreciate hearing about your experience re: mask requirements for flight to Tokyo, mask requirements in Tokyo (hotel, restaurants, tours), pre cruise antigen self test and embarkation process etc.

If you have time, of course. Thank you. 

• Like 1

It is good to be forewarned of the requirements by the governments, but has anyone know if there are any additional procedures being taken on the ship?  I was on the Voyager in May/June and there were requested maskings, limits on the contacts between the passengers and the crew, and blocked off seating.

On 2/25/2023 at 11:02 AM, jmalux said:

As from March 13, masks are no longer required on flights to Japan

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japanese-airlines-stop-requiring-masks-on-board-from-March-13

It is part of a general ease of the Japanese mask wearing guidelines

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14837541

To be clear, its only been the Japanese airlines that currently require masks (until the 13th).  The US carriers, like United which we are using, do not require masks.  It is not (at least recently) a Japanese government requirement.

• Like 1