Grand Princess for Alaska?

LisaLeone

Hello! My husband and I are looking at a 14 day in July of 2024. The Sapphire, Royal, and Grand all offer the same voyage, with the Grand being a wee bit cheaper. We are definitely looking at a mini suite. I haven’t sailed Princess in many years but thoroughly enjoyed it when I did. I’ve read that, for Alaska, Princess is a leader.
With that, I would would love to hear your opinions about the Grand and, certainly, the other two mentioned.

Thank you!

We were on the Grand in 2019 for Alaska and the Crown last year.

The Grand has a covered pool and is a little smaller. If you want to save some money, Lido deck has some rooms that would traditionally be balcony on other ships of her class, but the Grand has floor-to-ceiling windows which makes it an oceanview and perfect for Alaska - it also makes the room a bit larger too because balcony space is now indoor space. If you see something really cool, you're like... 30 feet from Lido deck.

• Like 1

I was on the Grand over Christmas in 2021 (and many times before) and I love the Sapphire. I have been on the Sapphire the most of any Princess ships.

I would give the edge to Sapphire (wider promenade deck) but would do the Grand in a heart beat. Sapphire had Skywalker's also.

Both great ships! Both have covered pools.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coral said:

I was on the Grand over Christmas in 2021 (and many times before) and I love the Sapphire. I have been on the Sapphire the most of any Princess ships.

I would give the edge to Sapphire (wider promenade deck) but would do the Grand in a heart beat. Sapphire had Skywalker's also.

Both great ships! Both have covered pools.

I should have said I thought the Grand was great and thought the ship was in great condition (had just done a dry dock before my sailing). I would go on the Grand again - no hesitations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any difference between Grand and Sapphire if traveling with kids? 

Similarly looking at Alaska in 2024 and will have boys 13, 8, and 7 with us across two families.  We are probably booking a family suite and the other family an oceanview or balcony.

Unless I am missing something I think Royal does not have a family suite.

12 minutes ago, dbuckho said:

Perhaps not with traveling with kids as a qualifier, but since Skywalkers was removed from the Grand, Sapphire's Skywalkers is great for Alaska sightseeing.

16 minutes ago, dbuckho said:

Similarly looking at Alaska in 2024 and will have boys 13, 8, and 7 with us across two families.  We are probably booking a family suite and the other family an oceanview or balcony.

I think there is only 1 family suite and it is priced as a suite. You may be better off pricing out a few mini suites next to each other. Just an option. The family suite is very forward if I remember correctly.

I don't think the Royal class has a family suite either.

36 minutes ago, dbuckho said:

We are doing the Royal in May. We needed a sofa bed for our son (who's 4) so that was only available in the deluxe balcony or higher. You can also fit a 4th person in the deluxe balcony with the upper pullman bed. 

Next category up would be the mini suite and that's also just a sofa bed and pullman bed but it looks like there might be a curtain separating the main bed and sofa area (also bigger room and bathroom).

1 hour ago, dbuckho said:

I am a Grand Princess Cheerleader but the Sapphire is an excellent choice because of Skywalkers and a larger promenade deck.

As far as a family suite.  On the Grand, it is very forward; with a balcony connected to a interior with a living room.  You will have all of the suite perks (breakfast and club class dining).  But if you book the other family in an oceanview or balcony, they will not be able to join you for any meals.  You are welcome to join them in their MDR or have dinner in your stateroom ordered through Room Service from the MDR.

To be cozier,  you could book up to 7 or 8 in a family suite. It will be tight with bunk beds and only 2 bathrooms.  The living room has a sofa bed.  But you will all enjoy the suite perks.