Live Report Arvia 14 Nights From Barbados 18th Feb onwards

Interestedcruisefan

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Had a great couple of hours today at Altos de Chavon in Romana, Dominican Republic

They filmed Rambo, Apocalypse Now and The Lost City (with Sandra Bullock) there

It's got a golf course, Polo Club and some incredible houses within the resort. I mean incredible. 

Frank Sinatra, Elton John, Sting, Placido Domingo amongst many others have all performed at the amphitheatre there

I thought Dominican Republic was a poor country. But trust me there is some serious money and wealth at this resort.

My wife saw a summer dress she liked in one of the shops there. She was about to try it on til we saw the price. 850 US dollars!!  

Meanwhile here's some pictures below.

IMG-20230222-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230222-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230222-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230222-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20230222-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230222-WA0015.jpg

Great pictures and review.

Very interesting.

There are approximately 10 Caribbean dollars to $1 American dollar and it's worth asking in some places if it is American dollars they are asking for and not Caribbean dollars.

Graham.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Had an excursion there many years ago when Thomson had a ship based at La Romana. As you say very exclusive and had a security perimeter with armed quards. We had a river cruise and a good meal.

For those interested it's a modern made Mediterranean Village with an incredible replica amphitheatre they built (back in 1978 ish) and opened by Frank Sinatra. The amphitheatre seats 5.000 people

Yes it's a very exclusive resort still. Still has the security gates. Food and drink not cheap in there. But nice place to walk around

From the cruise terminal it's approx 12 minute shuttle. Return cost for the shuttles which run every 15 minutes or so was 11 us dollars per person. Which you could only pay cash

Also at the terminal was where you can get a shuttle chu chu train tour of la Romana.  We looked at that but we would have had to come back 2 hours later to get a slot on it. The cost for that was £15 per person which you would pay with cruise card only. It was a 45 minute round tour from the terminal. And you couldn't get off in the town apparently

Lot's of craft shops and stalls at La Romana and also a swimming pool and fountain with sunbeds available. Sorry I didn't  check if the sunbeds were free. I assume they were

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Great pictures and review.

Very interesting.

There are approximately 10 Caribbean dollars to $1 American dollar and it's worth asking in some places if it is American dollars they are asking for and not Caribbean dollars.

Graham.

Was definitely US dollars for the dress. Said US on it. There were other dresses for 350 us dollars. Then on another rack some for 65 us dollars.

Typical the dress my wife liked was 850 !!

Lol. I guess she's either got good taste or expensive taste!

It was a nice dress to be fair

An ice cream cost 11 US dollars at the resort

Cocktails 12 us dollars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Was definitely US dollars for the dress. Said US on it. There were other dresses for 350 us dollars. Then on another rack some for 65 us dollars.

Typical the dress my wife liked was 850 !!

Lol. I guess she's either got good taste or expensive taste!

It was a nice dress to be fair

An ice cream cost 11 US dollars at the resort

Cocktails 12 us dollars

Yes Pauline has the knack of always liking the most expensive items too.

We nearly got caught out at Antigua once when the market was taking US dollars when I noticed a sign saying Caribbean dollars at the side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

For those interested it's a modern made Mediterranean Village with an incredible replica amphitheatre they built (back in 1978 ish) and opened by Frank Sinatra. The amphitheatre seats 5.000 people

Yes it's a very exclusive resort still. Still has the security gates. Food and drink not cheap in there. But nice place to walk around

From the cruise terminal it's approx 12 minute shuttle. Return cost for the shuttles which run every 15 minutes or so was 11 us dollars per person. Which you could only pay cash

Also at the terminal was where you can get a shuttle chu chu train tour of la Romana.  We looked at that but we would have had to come back 2 hours later to get a slot on it. The cost for that was £15 per person which you would pay with cruise card only. It was a 45 minute round tour from the terminal. And you couldn't get off in the town apparently

Lot's of craft shops and stalls at La Romana and also a swimming pool and fountain with sunbeds available. Sorry I didn't  check if the sunbeds were free. I assume they were

Nor a secure place if it lets a shipload of passengers walk round it! lol.

• Like 1

Last night we got into the 710 club for the 7pm show

Really high quality. 

We just turned up without a booking and they found us a space (all the slots were booked before we got on the  cruise apart from 12.15am slots!)

They only release slots on the cruise and Friday arrivals bag them all

That's a downside of boarding for 2 weeks on the Saturday rather than the Friday

Great drinks  in there

Here's some images

IMG_20230223_1907484.jpg

IMG_20230223_1907332.jpg

IMG_20230223_1931309.jpg

IMG_20230223_1931382.jpg

IMG_20230223_1931462.jpg

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When they started playing their last song we joined the virtual queue for The Glasshouse

And within 10 mins we were given a table

A nice meal albeit not as good as Glass House on previous ships

We went and got Desserts from the buffet after starters and mains in Glass House. To take back to the cabin

Look how many desserts we took back to the cabin with us to watch a film!!

I had almost finished the rhubarb and ginger crumble before taking the photo

IMG-20230224-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20230224-WA0001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

St Maarten today. We've got a fun trip planned to one of our favourite spots on  the island

The beach next  to the airport where you can almost touch the planes as they landed

We've not visited St Maarten since the hurricane. 

There's a beach restaurant there that was blown down by the hurricane we donated 100 us dollars to back then to help rebuild it on a gofund me page. We may visit there as well 

We've both had breakfast already.

I've done a spin class. My wife has jogged 5k then walked 5k round the ship.

Will post some pics from today later

• Like 3

Forgot to say last night at the skydome they were showing Topgun Maverick

Meanwhile in Brodies Irish bar late afternoon was packed with people watching Man Utd v Barcelona

And it's not bingo in the skydome at 2.30pm each afternoon. It's song bingo. Where the guests get bingo cards with songs on they tick off like in bingo til they get a winner

They use the big screen  to play the game.

Ie it's hi tech modern bingo with songs instead of numbers I guess

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Forgot to say last night at the skydome they were showing Topgun Maverick

Meanwhile in Brodies Irish bar late afternoon was packed with people watching Man Utd v Barcelona

And it's not bingo in the skydome at 2.30pm each afternoon. It's song bingo. Where the guests get bingo cards with songs on they tick off like in bingo til they get a winner

They use the big screen  to play the game.

Ie it's hi tech modern bingo with songs instead of numbers I guess

Edited by Rupert2251
Deleted

Last night we had a great night which sums up why people love to cruise

Started with dinner in Mizhuana - superb sushi prepared by a sushi master chef 

We tried a flight of sake as well. First time we've tried sake

Then cocktails in The Crows Nest whilst listening to a live pianist

Followed by theatre show from a brilliant 4 piece ukulele band from Liverpool. These guys were great  and created a great rapport with the audience. They are called Ukebox

Then desserts from the Quays.

Followed by watching a couple of rock songs from Pulse in The Clubhouse. Great atmosphere in there

Headed back to our cabin and in the atrium there was a live musical show with acrobatics at same time!

Brilliant night.

I said to my wife - you would struggle to find a Hotel anywhere in the world that could offer you all of that in the same evening or anything remotely close tbh

Cruising on Arvia is different level to a normal holiday. So many options

IMG_20230224_1848016.jpg

IMG_20230224_1901138.jpg

IMG_20230224_1901440.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, silkworms said:

Am loving your everyday musings, we join Arvia on 4 March and you are really increasing our expectations. Please keep them coming.

You cant fail to enjoy this holiday. Something for everyone on and off the ship

Today we are doing a jetski tour in Antigua

Just off for breakfast and the gym first

My wife is already jogging on the jogging deck

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You cant fail to enjoy this holiday. Something for everyone on and off the ship

Today we are doing a jetski tour in Antigua

Just off for breakfast and the gym first

My wife is already jogging on the jogging deck

I think I could fail to enjoy it, without even trying too hard...😁. I am loving your blog though and so good to hear you are having a fabulous time.

• Like 3

Just now, Britboys said:

I think I could fail to enjoy it, without even trying too hard...😁. I am loving your blog though and so good to hear you are having a fabulous time.

You might enjoy it! We loved Iona last week, but the next 3 cruises booked are Britannia, Arcadia and Aurora. I’m already thinking that there’s going to be less of a buzz on those. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

You might enjoy it! We loved Iona last week, but the next 3 cruises booked are Britannia, Arcadia and Aurora. I’m already thinking that there’s going to be less of a buzz on those. 

If P&O want to give me a free cruise with a healthy dollop of obc, I'll happily try to prove myself wrong...😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What could cause you not to enjoy it?

I'm interested  to know what concerns you might have?

The new ships are just not my style of cruising and having cruised the Caribbean a couple of times I don't really have any desire to return. I am comfortable with the small ships where I don't have to think about where or what time I am eating, let alone have to consider booking a restaurant or show.

I can see and understand what attracts people to the big ships but they are just not for me.

• Like 6

we really like Iona x 3 an Arvia (2 more booked) more bars and eateries nice mix of ages  we are not young both late 60's and been on more than 25 P&0 cruises but this is the way forward to encourage the new cruisers, perhaps we are still young at heart so we really like them, the older ships not seem to have much going for them now not for us anyway

• Like 5