Heavenly Hana tour

marnie2005

Usually 20ish passenger bus for RTH so pretty small by bus standards. I understand the rationale to want a driver for RTH but it’s also quite doable on your own. I just drove it last week again. The key is a narrow car. Last year I had a rouge and drove RTH 6-7 times with no issues. This year we have a Moreno and some of the corners felt tight. Also, If anyone is prone to car sickness it’s likely going to be worse on the bus. I noticed you were looking at upcountry too. If you are on Maui overnight I STRONGLY recommend renting your own car to do both. Hope that helps. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Highly recommend a tour for first time. There is road etiquette and you will NOT be able to concentrate on scenery, may not know how or when to pull over etc. I know many say "do it yourself" but our tour guide called RTH on way up the "honeymoon" and way back "the divorce road"-for a reason.  The reason so many locals hate tourists is tourists have ZERO clue about etiquette or or what is private property etc. It's also a MUCH longer drive than you think 🙂

We did a private tour (6 people max) that did the drive to hana, access to the black sand beach, and helicopter back. Pricey but 100000% worth it-allowed us to appreciate the drive and beauty of island!!

Road etiquette is pretty simple, if cars are behind you, pull over when it's safe. In addition, if you purchase the shaka or qypsy app, they explain road etiquette in great detail, including how to position for the one lane bridges. I wouldn't recommend this drive without either app because you simply won't know where to stop. 

BUT, I do agree that it's a long day for the driver (I'm always the driver) and the driver must pay attention to the road not the scenery. But let's be honest, most of the entire drive is in thick jungle. The good views are had when you stop the car and get out. The apps will explain exactly where to do that. If money is no object, the tour you did is wonderful (love helicopter tours on island, I also suggest for you the Molokai helicoptor trip to see some of the worlds largest sea cliffs), but at over $1,000.00 per couple (plus 20% tip) it's in an entirely different category than a $100 car rental plus a $13 app.  

PS: Anyone wanting a gorgeous ocean drive with ocean views needs to drive the stretch between Kapalua and the Olivine pools. Just don't go past the olivine pools unless you want a drive that makes RTH look like childs play.

• Like 1