Paying for a drinks package in CASH?

ace2542

Can you pay for the drinks package in cash when you go onboard the ship or when you check in at Southampton or when you leave the ship? We don't want to drink by drink and pay our own way we would like the package but pay cash we had problems with using or barclaycard last time. I think we got charged twice. We also don't have the high tech i phone to do the verify payment thing?

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Do you usually pay your onboard account in cash? I've never had a drinks package but I would think if you buy on board the cost is added to your account in same way as any other spending. 

We always pay with card. But last time in August we think we got charged twice. And we don't have the i phone to do the verfiy thing with barclaycard you know where you use the calcuator they give you to get the pn number to verify yourself. My father has bought U.S dollars to pay the package in cash when we get onboard hoping he can. I thought I would ask on here.

You definitely won't be able to pay at check in and best way forward is to ask at reception. I think what they will suggest is adding drinks package to your onboard to account and then deposit cash throughout the cruise and pay final balance on last night of cruise

• Like 1

In my experience all onboard purchases must be charged to an onboard account. However, before the onboard account will accept any charges it must be activated either by registering a debit or credit card (typically at check-in) or by depositing cash at the Pursers Desk.

If the cash option is adopted any purchases cannot exceed the amount of cash deposited taking into account any previous purchases. Think of it as a PAYG mobile phone. If the account needs more funds you simply top it up as you go. Alternatively, you could deposit a larger amount at the beginning and at the end of the cruise any remaining cash credit can be reimbursed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

You definitely won't be able to pay at check in and best way forward is to ask at reception. I think what they will suggest is adding drinks package to your onboard to account and then deposit cash throughout the cruise and pay final balance on last night of cruise

So with that in mind could we pay cash for drinks package and grats as soon as going onboard at the reception?

Edited by ace2542

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So with that in mind could we pay cash for drinks package and grats as soon as going onboard at the reception?

You could deposit that amount into your onboard account which would negate the cost of drinks package/grants. One worry is when you have to complete check online prior to your cruise you have to nominate a credit/debit card and if you don't you will not be able to print boarding pass/luggage labels.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Check the information on the price of the drinks package on your Manage My Booking link. You may find that the price charged once on board is slightly higher than if you purchase before boarding; $75 versus $70 per day.

• Thanks 1

From Cunard’s FAQ

What do I need to do if I am paying my on board account in cash?

Answer

You still need to register a credit or debit card at check-in, even if you intend to settle your on board account in cash. Please note you will be asked to enter your 4 digit pin number for verification. 

Your on board account must be kept in credit at all times. You may add credit to your account at any time by visiting the Reception desk.  

Should your account no longer be in credit, any outstanding balance will be charged to your card unless further cash is provided. 

We are unable to accept:

money transfers to the ship (other than gift credits, however these are non refundable and cannot be taken out as cash) either prior to embarkation or whilst on board.

personal cheques, traveller’s cheques or prepaid credit cards

Any unused cash on your account can be refunded back to you at the end of the cruise by you visiting the reception desk prior to disembarking. Any credit due to be returned to you will be clearly shown on your final statement which will be delivered to your cabin on the last night of the cruise.

• Thanks 1