Jewel Forward Deluxe Penthouse (non-Haven) With Large Balcony - Problems?

3OfDiamonds

25 minutes ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

Owners suites with both forward and side balconies on all Jewel class ships along with the Dawn and the Star.  Decks 9 and 10.  Deck 10 suites have more interior space, dining area.  Deck 9 suites have a larger front balcony, although the ones on deck 10 are definitely big enough.

Thanks very much!

I was hoping there were a few more of those types of OS (no matter what they are called, of course) lurking on some other ships.  The forward and side balconies are pretty special.

DH had for many years refused to go on a cruise, and I stopped cruising for some years, as I just didn't enjoy it without him.  We (others and me, not the two of us!) finally created a "special reason" to *cruise* when other vacation types simply wouldn't be quite as good for a special purpose. 😉 

We ended up with the DOS on the Dawn, with that AMAZING forward, side, and side/rear view all the way down the side of the ship.  

Our avatar is from the second day, lying on the bed, peering over our feet with (almost) the same view the Captain had. 

By that time, less than 24 hours after boarding, he was completely hooked.  SUCCESS!  😁

(Alas, no balcony in that DOS, so we probably won't do that again, as wonderful as the views and all that space were.  We had the 1BR DOS, which is very "open".   Our family group included an 18 month old grand, so when he was with us, he was able to race around like crazy in that huge, open LR.)

Good *forward* views from our own space, with balcony, remain very special to us.

GC

• Like 1

Geezer, the Spirit has a Forward Facing "Deluxe Penthouse Suite with Large Balcony" that also has a front and side balcony.

A big draw for us was that it has 1 and 1/2 bathrooms, as do the OS on the Jewel and Dawn Class ships.

We have sailed suites with 2 balconies (forward and side) with 1 & 1/2 baths on the Star, Dawn, Gem, Jewel, Jade, Pearl, and Spirit. These accommodations checked all our favourite boxes.

17 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Geezer, the Spirit has a Forward Facing "Deluxe Penthouse Suite with Large Balcony" that also has a front and side balcony.

A big draw for us was that it has 1 and 1/2 bathrooms, as do the OS on the Jewel and Dawn Class ships.

We have sailed suites with 2 balconies (forward and side) with 1 & 1/2 baths on the Star, Dawn, Gem, Jewel, Jade, Pearl, and Spirit. These accommodations checked all our favourite boxes.

Many thanks!

I'll keep an eye out.

I *think* that the Sun OS had an additional half bath, but I had forgotten that until just now (unless I'm confusing it with something elst).  

We joke that when we finally really downsize, we'd do better with 1BR/2BA rather than 2BR/1BA.

😁

So finding the occasional cruise accommodations with more than a single bathroom is always great.

I've tried to figure out all of the forward Spirit suites, but the diagrams just haven't made much sense (to me).

Some cruise lines don't seem to have much in the way of forward-facing accommodations, which we find odd.

Thanks again!

GC

The thing we didn’t like about the Sun OS is that it only has a forward balcony, though it’s nice with a shallow hot tub.  We love to have a side balcony, along with a front facing balcony, because if it’s rainy or if you’re at sea in a stiff wind there is still a good place to sit outside and enjoy the ocean smell/sound.

I did not mention the Spirit, as the balconies are very narrow so not the same experience.

I do have the Sun OS booked for an upcoming cruise.  Have not been in it before, so really looking forward to it.  I have been in the OS on the Sky, but the layout is much different than the Sun even though they are "sister ships".

1 hour ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

I did not mention the Spirit, as the balconies are very narrow so not the same experience.

I do have the Sun OS booked for an upcoming cruise.  Have not been in it before, so really looking forward to it.  I have been in the OS on the Sky, but the layout is much different than the Sun even though they are "sister ships".

I'll have to take a look at the deck/floor plans for the Sky.

I wish NCL had better/more accurate diagrams.  

For example, last time I looked, many of the ships had partially correct diagrams, especially when there is more than one type of arrangement with the same name.  The DOS in the Dawn comes to mind.  It's not a minor difference.  There are two with 1BR/1BA, huge LR, and floor to ceiling windows all across the front, the side and the little back wall the equivalent to the "wing" on the Bridge).  And there are 2 with 2BR/2BA and a smaller LR and more limited windows, view.  These are not trivial differences!

Here is the description from the deck/floor plan for the "DOS category":

"Enjoy the magnificent views from the expansive wall of windows of these Suites that include a king-size bed and additional bedding to accommodate up to a total of six guests, luxury bath with Jacuzzi, sitting and dining areas and the indulgence of butler and concierge service."

There is no hint that they have dramatically different configurations; it's not just that some are larger than others, as would be suggested by the range in square footage.

And the Spirit... I can't figure out which suite is where or which diagram goes with which.  (I haven't tried all that hard, but it shouldn't be difficult.)

[Full disclosure:  I am particularly annoyed that NCL sometimes has inaccurage diagrams.  Better *no* diagrams than incorrect or misleading ones.  And it's not only for brand new renovations, although they have move than enough lead time to get those loaded well in advance, given all the lead time for architects, ordering supplies, and then the actual build...]

We loved the Sun OS.  One odd thing was there is a big closet/dressing room.  But it's right at that wall of windows.  From the bed/BR area, one can look "through" it and see a reasonable view for a "bed view".  But IF they had put the closet behind the BR someho or in a back corner, the bed/BR would have a dynamite view.  But that's a *very* minor complaint!

GC

2 hours ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

There is a website called cruisedeckplans that has many pics and video links for all major cruise ships.  I refer to it regularly.  

Thanks.

I just looked there, specifically about the Dawn DOS.

They only show the 1BR/1BA, same as what NLC website shows.

Perhaps I missed some other place cruisedeckplans has it?  If so, could you post a link to the exact page that has better information/diagrams?

Many thanks!

GC

7 hours ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

Look at rooms 10006 and 10506 on deck 10 along with 9006 and 9506 on deck 9.  They are classified as "Owners Suite" not "Deluxe Owners Suite" which may be causing the confusion

Thanks, but not what I'm referring to.

There is no "confusion" about what the problem is with the DELUXE OS on the Dawn for those who are familiar with the realities of those 4 suites.

There are two VERY different DOS suite types on the DAWN.  Two of each.

But there is no way to get even a hint of that from the NCL.com diagram.  That does show two different size/shape DOS, but nothing about what is in each, and the diagram is only for the 1BR/1BA version.  Nothing about the 2BR/2BA version.

I am well award of the nice OS suites on several NCL ships, and have discussed those, especially in terms of the front and side balconies, at some detail.

I'm still waiting to find out how someone is supposed to know from the detailed diagrams and description on the NCL website itself, about the two very different DOS on the Dawn.

(There are other examples, but this is a good one.)

GC

On 2/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, WillCruiseForMoney said:

We were on the Spirit in the cabin I described in Alaska last September.  

The narrow balconies were fine for that itinerary, really the side one wasn't noticeably different from many (small) Haven balconies.  The front one was narrow, but we were able to get a lounger put on it, we sat on one lunger and one chair wrapped in deck blankets while up in the glacier areas.

• 7 months later...

Turtles 06, (and all) you posted wonderful photos!  We are booked on the Jewel in Jan of 25 for a 14 day with partial transit through the canal in a forward facing deluxe suite on deck 10.  We've never had a forward facing suite, and so have the same questions and concerns about the balcony being too windy, and that room being more prone to motion.   How much more motion? 

We love to spend time on the balcony when we cruise.  Morning coffee, afternoon wine, evening reflection.  I also love amazing views.  This seemed like the best room for this cruise?   A question, when seated in a lounger or chair on the balcony of this room type, can you still see the water over the solid railing?  Most photos I've seen are from standing height, so I can't tell.  Can you leave the big, heavy door open when cruising?

I also considered an aft facing suite (which is less expensive), but both the room and balcony are smaller, and I'd be looking where I've been, not where I'm going!  Any other advice would be appreciated.  We usually stay in the Haven on the larger NCL ships, but it doesn't seem worth the money on the smaller ships, plus the view is of the busy pool are, not the relaxing ocean!

13 minutes ago, prodeheaver said:

Turtles 06, (and all) you posted wonderful photos!  We are booked on the Jewel in Jan of 25 for a 14 day with partial transit through the canal in a forward facing deluxe suite on deck 10.  We've never had a forward facing suite, and so have the same questions and concerns about the balcony being too windy, and that room being more prone to motion.   How much more motion? 

We love to spend time on the balcony when we cruise.  Morning coffee, afternoon wine, evening reflection.  I also love amazing views.  This seemed like the best room for this cruise?   A question, when seated in a lounger or chair on the balcony of this room type, can you still see the water over the solid railing?  Most photos I've seen are from standing height, so I can't tell.  Can you leave the big, heavy door open when cruising?

I also considered an aft facing suite (which is less expensive), but both the room and balcony are smaller, and I'd be looking where I've been, not where I'm going!  Any other advice would be appreciated.  We usually stay in the Haven on the larger NCL ships, but it doesn't seem worth the money on the smaller ships, plus the view is of the busy pool are, not the relaxing ocean!

I think that the question about wind has been answered several times. 

When in bad weather, the whole ship has  motion. More on the front. How much? More. If you want the least motion, book a room on deck 5 in the middle. 

You can leave the sea door open. You need to lock your cabin door to make sure no one opens it. And you should use the metal hook to secure your sea door open so it doesn’t swing in the “motion” and hurt someone. 

The Dawn does not have a Haven

Yes you can see over the railing. The Deck 10 balconies are not that deep. 

I will repeat that we conciser those room the best on the ship. 

I sailed Jewel in Alaska in August in a forward facing Penthouse on deck 9.  I used the balcony while underway. As others have said, if seated the wind wasn’t too bad at all. The views were amazing. I had the room steward bring an extra blanket that I used on the balcony on chilly Alaskan days/nights.  I fell asleep out there more than once! I cannot speak to motion because it doesn’t bother me and I pretty much often wonder if we are still moving. The Butler service was excellent, but I did not have meals brought to the cabin at all. I did make sure the bulkhead door was closed before I went to sleep at night because it got chilly the first night with a draft coming through just the inside door. For me that was the only downside!  The only better cabin for me is the Aft Facing Penthouse Suite on Deck 10 of the Jewel category cabins. 

6 hours ago, prodeheaver said:

A question, when seated in a lounger or chair on the balcony of this room type, can you still see the water over the solid railing?  Most photos I've seen are from standing height, so I can't tell.  Can you leave the big, heavy door open when cruising?

Thanks for the kind words about my photos. I think most of your questions about this suite have been answered, but I’ve posted two photos below of the balcony and the view when you are seated (one of my happy feet photos 😊), so you can see that, when seated, you can see the water over the bow. 

As for the sea door, yes you can leave it open when underway, but be sure it is hooked in the back to the bulkhead. And when closing it, please be really careful not to have your fingers anywhere near the door frame.  

It’s a great suite; enjoy it!

IMG_9945.thumb.jpeg.f66f0ac02fd5d6cdc08d2924d6a588de.jpeg

IMG_9947.thumb.jpeg.9b2c507406cb6d943a4650f518788fd8.jpeg