Viking Ocean Fitness?

Ianstar

We have two Viking Ocean booked. Are there included fitness classes? How often? How challenging? I workout daily and enjoy any classes, I can ramp them up or scale back as needed. I prefer to make any cruise a wellness vacation as much as I can. Can work out alone but love the motivation and company of others. Would love any up to date info.

I don't think that gym classes are a big thing on Viking.  I have been on 6 Ocean cruises and have never noticed that there are classes and I read the Viking Daily from cover to cover.

Perhaps others have comments?

I am not aware of "Trainers" on the Viking Ocean ships either.  There is a well equipped gym, but the staff seems more concentrated on the Spa aspect of that area of the ship.

I'm a daily gym user and there are occasional small classes (2-4 participants) early in the morning of the yoga/stretching variety. I've never joined in personally. I've seen more personal trainer-led, one-on-one sessions. My impression is that the trainers are quite competent. As others have said, it's not a big part of the Viking experience.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, Ianstar said:

We have two Viking Ocean booked. Are there included fitness classes? How often? How challenging? I workout daily and enjoy any classes, I can ramp them up or scale back as needed. I prefer to make any cruise a wellness vacation as much as I can. Can work out alone but love the motivation and company of others. Would love any up to date info.

The fitness staff are very good and there is the occasional stretch class. However, the ability of participants varies immensely and therefore the class is aimed at the least able. On my next cruise I think I’ll get a few 1-1 sessions and workout myself from then on.

Viking Ocean has a Nordic Bath technique with hot and cold, hard to describe, but works wonders for aches and pains and general arthritis. (Small heated pool, Ice room similar to cryotherapy use, and a water pail suspended from ceiling.)  Super after long trekking and walk. There is a sufficient gym near the area of the Spa facility with excellent weights, bench, work out equipment, bands a few ellipticals and stationary bikes. Always a few regulars in the gym that we see, rare to see any formal classes. (retired PT)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tallok2016 said:

Viking Ocean has a Nordic Bath technique with hot and cold, hard to describe, but works wonders for aches and pains and general arthritis. (Small heated pool, Ice room similar to cryotherapy use, and a water pail suspended from ceiling.)  Super after long trekking and walk. 

Your post reminded me - on the Viking Mars British Isles Explorer 15 day cruise, they twice offered a class focused on that in the evenigns.  Does anyone remember if Nordic Bath technique was the actual name of the class?    I want to remember to sign up for that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When we did Buenos Aires to Santiago in December 2019, Viking offered a package deal of 10 classes for a reasonable fee.  Mostly stretching, Pilates, aerobics, mediation.  It was really a good mix and fun.  In addition, the dancers offered free Salsa lessons for both singles & couples on sea days and that was great exercise.  Not sure post pandemic.