"It's not you, it's me"--Is it a break-up? My review of NCL Encore 2/12/23

rxlowry

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

rxlowry was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

This is our fourth cruise since restart but first after lots of changes (cutbacks) and I was a bit anxious about how the cruise would be.  My history with NCL goes back to 2007 so I have been through changes that I haven't liked but was able to shrug off.  I posted the first day on my blog last night with more day to day details and photos (alpacamybagsblog) but I wanted to address the bigger picture.  My LIVE review fell apart because I thought Cruise Critic was a free site but only the first page loads for free.  Not sure what you can get out of just that page!

Embarkation/Muster Drill

Embarkation was super quick and because of status we were on before group one.  The Muster Drill is back and I longer than ever.  From the call to report until ending it was 53 minutes.  Our station was in the theater and the assistant cruise director was really trying hard to make jokes and engage to the point of being annoying.  I do not really mind it going back to in person as I have done tons of those but I think it needs to be streamlined to about 30 minutes.  

Once a day service

I was not to happy about this change especially with paying higher service charges.  I enjoy going back to my cabin in the afternoon to rest before changing for dinner most days.  Our cabin was always done very early but we also were out of our cabin around 6-7am every day.  I am pretty sure we were the first one done each day.  Friends on board with us were not as lucky, returning to the cabin at four and finding it still not made.  It seems much worse for the stewards now and talking to two in the hall, they just do not seem happy with the change.  

No coffee/continental room service included

I did miss this but my husband stepped up and went to get us coffee some of the mornings or we went together.  It was just a nice touch to have this delivered some mornings.  I know it is cheaper to get the three hot items available but I have no interest in those.  

Food

This is a very subjective topic but I will give my opinions on the various places we tried.

The Local

It was very busy this cruise and you felt it here.  Service was slower than on the Breakaway in October and a few times items were wrong or missed.  The breakfast is great and I think it is the best spot on the ship for this meal as you get your food very hot.  Sometimes, they forgot bacon or toast but did bring it when asked.  We ate with friends and one did not get soup, another never got her dessert but the food was decent.  The wings are still just as bad as November though.  No dinner specials offered.

Main Dining

We had one lunch and one dinner.  Lunch was very nice.  The service was not too slow and we loved the scallop appetizer.  I also enjoyed the Monte Cristo that took me back to my college days eating at Bennigan's.  Dinner was the second night which I personally feel is the best menu.  It is the menu with Pacific Hake and Shrimp with vodka sauce.  It was good but we did skip dessert since we wanted to see the show.

Buffet

We had breakfast,lunch and two dinners here.   It seemed as if they have reduced the offerings in our opinion.  The salad bar was smaller than the Joy and Breakaway.  The Indian food was stellar as always.  I noticed no stir fry station at dinner or crepes (although I think it is because they are at Coco's for a charge).  The theme nights were:  Prime Rib, Steak&Shrimp, Country&Western, Bahamian/Caribbean, Ribs, Oriental and Grill Extravaganza.  I found the themes to be pretty similar with exception of Oriental and Caribbean.  

Los Lobos

This was our first time dining here and we both really liked it.  We ate outside and the service was very good.  The shrimp dish might be the best one I've had on NCL as far as taste and quality of shrimp.  

Onda

This was a a knockout for us!  We had a fabulous meal.  My salad was delicious and super fresh.  My husband had the short rib ravioli and loved it.  But the superstar was our steaks.  They blew Le Bistro out of the water.  So flavorful and cooked a perfect medium rare.  The desserts were ok (butterscotch budino a tad bland) and good (panacotta).  We enjoyed it so much that we returned the last night and paid ala carte.  We both had the salad while I had the ravioli and he had the lobster pasta.  The only downside is the noise level might be a bit high for some.

Le Bistro

We had steaks at Onda so we skipped our old favorite with the new upcharge.  I missed the salmon and crab salad so I went back to escargot for my app and Dover Sole for my dinner.  They were both good but the sole wasn't too special.  My husband tried the coq au vin and loved it!  I thought it was very good as well.  Desserts for us both were the ile flottante which is our new favorite there.  

Bar Service

The bars were very busy.  We noticed officers pitching in and making drinks when really busy.  It was noticeable how understaffed they were as we had longer waits than previous sailings.  The best service was always at the Sustainable Bar but the limited menu helps that situation.  

Entertainment

I think due to Kinky Boots being cut, they kept the amount of live music offered the same.  The quality of music was not the best.  The latin duo was good but after a few salsa, merengues and bachatas, I am ready to dance to other styles.  The atrium had no dancing as the band took up the enitire floor so that was a bummer.  We skipped the Beatles tribute since we saw that on the Joy.  The pianists were good.  The party band sounded good the first night but later sounded as if they blew out their voice.  The comedians were just ok.  The magician was good but should not bill himself as a comedy magician.  Choir of Man was the big ticket show and we weren't fans.  The sound on some mics was off and we would have liked a bit more story.  

We did do the Bamboozled escape table game.  It was fun and we were doing great until we opened the box for last puzzle.  We tried so many phone numbers only to find out we had two red cards instead of a red and a purple to make the phone number.  We let the host know it was prepared inccorrectly but he didn't seem like he even understood the problem.  Hopefully, they fix for the next team.  

We also tried the escape room at Galaxy Pavillion.  This I would recommend as it has some neat technology and puzzles.  We escaped with a group of four we joined with plenty of time to spare!  

Other observations

Ports were fine.  We missed GSC due to 10 knot winds but we planned to stay on ship anyway but now so did everyone.  Most activities added were the paid type like Bingo and Deal or No Deal.  In St. Thomas, we did an amazing private catamaran to St. John.   Tortola was very early but I will go to the Soggy Dollar anytime!

Pool deck super crowded.  Most chairs were not loungers and I couldn't imagine sitting in one all day.  The Waterfront was packed the second half as well with people sun bathing and eating.  

Observation Lounge was busy with nappers on sea days.  As Sid took photos of bare feet on furniture, I did read that NCL wants socks, not shoes or bare feet.  This was on the first page of freestyle daily on last day not that anyone read this.  Lots of bare feet seen and I am sure were also under all the towels people used as blankets.

I saw more glasses in spots such as bathrooms, staircase and elevator floors on this cruise.  Not as much as on Carnival last year but more than ever on NCL.  

No sanitizer in front of one dining room and my group for this cruise on that other site has many complaining of "food poisoning" which is probably noro.  Three days back the covid posts have started too which is no surprise as the coughing was definitely ramped up by the end of voyage.  

This is the first cruise on NCL that I did not have one name (usually it is multiple) to write about in post cruise survey.  Most were pleasant but it was no where the level it was previously.  They truly seem so busy and some unhappy.  I really missed engaging with crew as that is one of the best parts of cruising.  It just felt very hurried.  I do not blame the crew at all since they are having to do more work.  

So are we breaking up....I do feel like I haven't changed but NCL has.  It's like this slow, nice break up though where we could remain friends.  I can just remember the way we were and it is sad.  I might not be the passenger they want at this time.  I feel they are looking for the newer to cruising so I might be getting traded in for a newer, shinier model.  The cutbacks are noticeable to us.  We've tried a few other lines and are excited to try Oceania in the fall.  I do feel sad about this but maybe we just need a break like Ross and Rachel.  It's not a bitter break up as I have had so many great times on NCL to cherish and maybe one day will again.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

So are we breaking up....I do feel like I haven't changed but NCL has.  It's like this slow, nice break up though where we could remain friends.  I can just remember the way we were and it is sad.  I might not be the passenger they want at this time.  I feel they are looking for the newer to cruising so I might be getting traded in for a newer, shinier model.  The cutbacks are noticeable to us.  We've tried a few other lines and are excited to try Oceania in the fall.  I do feel sad about this but maybe we just need a break like Ross and Rachel.  It's not a bitter break up as I have had so many great times on NCL to cherish and maybe one day will again.

Appreciate your review! I enjoy your posts and value what you say as it always comes off genuine.

This last paragraph, while sad, made me laugh. Thanks for that...I hope you enjoy your Oceania cruise and the non-bitter breakups are always the best kind. 

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Appreciate your review! I enjoy your posts and value what you say as it always comes off genuine.

This last paragraph, while sad, made me laugh. Thanks for that...I hope you enjoy your Oceania cruise and the non-bitter breakups are always the best kind. 

Thanks.  I try to be honest.  I mean it wasn’t a horrible cruise.  Parts were great but there was just that something special that felt missing. NCL has been our “home” cruise…the line we do most.  I’ll still keep this hanging up.  The back has a handwritten message.  It was given to us  on the Majesty’s last sailing. 

image.jpg

• Like 5

I was on the Encore for the first time in late January. I really loved the ship, my favorite one so far, but yes, I also experienced an overworked crew. 

Our room steward was good, but I never saw him...unlike countless other sailings where you bump into them (sometimes literally) any time during day or evening. 

The bar staff, too, were beat.  When I saw odd rotations of staff cycling into the outside bars on the Waterfront, one of the bartenders admitted to me that they were missing their normal staffing levels and pitching-in as needed.

{Somewhat off-topic, but the bartenders at The Mojito Bar work so hard.  Every one of those drinks involves multiple steps and different variations of ingredients.  No wonder I see that they killed that bar on the Prima}.

• Like 3

Just my 2 cents here, on our recent Getaway cruise, I mumbled to DW that ... something is missing among the crew, not seeing the usual level of energy, cheerfulness and friendly spirits, unlike nearly all of the NCL cruises that we've been on.  We recognized some of them are/were new to ship life and/or recently boarded the ship (required by NCL to remained masked for up to 10 days on a 5:5 rules ... whatever that is, as I was sitting 2 chairs away from the chief housekeeping during dinner with officer & didn't catch the entire explanation)  

We aren't breaking up with NCL, at least not yet ... has 2 cruises coming up, one of them pretty soon - going to sit back, cruise with an open mind, enjoy the cruise and probably toss in some humor to lighten things up.   When it comes to food & the overall dining experience, it's personal and subjective and not easy to be neutral - except when it comes to proper food serving temperature, LOL.  That's what food safety inspections do with a calibrated digital instrument, not by walking around the buffet & licking one's sticky fingers.  

We had 2 crew members to acknowledge & write about - both in the MDR that've gone above & beyond vs. the rest in their department.  Our room steward was good but nothing that truly exemplified that Norwegian way & spirit of making us truly feel like being our home away from home ... old-timers surely recognized what I'm referring to.  The positives still outweight the negatives but it isn't trending properly in 2023.  

• Like 9

I generally bounce between here and the Carnival forum as those are the two lines I cruise most.

There really seems to be a consistent theme of passenger satisfaction (down), cutbacks, passenger "rudeness" and overcrowding.

Did we get to use to the low passenger counts during the months after the restart and now things are getting "not as fun"? I mean, we were on Bliss last year and while it was not full, some areas were always busy. But we did enjoy the cruise. We're on Carnival Panorama in a couple weeks and the reports have been less than stellar. Can it be blamed on cutbacks, customer service?

Are we too high with our expectations?

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for posting. We board her on Sunday. We are about to book a New England cruise and a New Zealand cruise but because of reservations about NCL we are holding off booking until after our trip,even triple points could not convince us to commit (and they would have put us up to platinum). Have you tried Celebrity? We have enjoyed them.

5 hours ago, rxlowry said:

My LIVE review fell apart because I thought Cruise Critic was a free site but only the first page loads for free.  Not sure what you can get out of just that page!

CC is a free site however when I do live reviews I too always have trouble loading my posts on CC. 

I can load and post to every other site I use on the ship’s WiFi but CC just does not work.

Anyone know why this happens? 

Just my 2 cents. We feel about Royal as you do right now about NCL. In January we were on the Oasis for ten nights and one person stood out enough for us to mention and this was I think our 31st cruise with Royal and after our 17 night cruise in August probably won't  book with them again. NCL  has  become our go to cruise line. We did a 21 night cruise on the Encore through the Panama Canal in October and when we were done I sent an email to NCL  which I listed 12 people. Of course being on for 21 nights gave us more of a chance to get to know the staff better. Also turned out in January that our oldest granddaughter and her boyfriend were on the Encore and they got treated very well because of some of the staff we had met before. Just my thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I generally bounce between here and the Carnival forum as those are the two lines I cruise most.

There really seems to be a consistent theme of passenger satisfaction (down), cutbacks, passenger "rudeness" and overcrowding.

Did we get to use to the low passenger counts during the months after the restart and now things are getting "not as fun"? I mean, we were on Bliss last year and while it was not full, some areas were always busy. But we did enjoy the cruise. We're on Carnival Panorama in a couple weeks and the reports have been less than stellar. Can it be blamed on cutbacks, customer service?

Are we too high with our expectations?

The low counts were nice.  Maybe the staff got used to them too.  But our November cruise was not reduced capacity and it was great!!!

• Like 1

I guess if one is willing to stand in Time Square for 8 hours with no bathroom break among thousands of other people to watch a ball drop on New Year's Eve, cruising with 4-6,000 people in a tight space works.. No ship can properly handle that many people with any level of grace. NCL is fighting for its very economic life and is cutting every corner they can. If they lose a few thousand "Old" loyal customers but can market to a few more thousand newbies who have no point of referene, cuts will continue.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, rxlowry said:

The low counts were nice.  Maybe the staff got used to them too.  But our November cruise was not reduced capacity and it was great!!!

We sailed Encore January, 2020 and our experience was better than yours.

Ship was full but service and entertainment was solid.

I will say that I had a better experience on Escape in 2018 and Joy in 2022.

We sailed Joy 6/26/22 so it was pretty full and crew did an excellent job.

We enjoyed it so much that we're going on Joy again in July.

Entertainment on Joy was the best of the 3 for us.

We missed COM and dueling pianos but it was still fun and so much live music.

Hopefully, they are still doing a good job when we sail this summer.

Thanks for the review. I was on Encore a few years ago and Onda was my highlight meal too.  It was so good we ate their twice.  It is LOUD in there.  You have to shout to speak to anyone at your table.  Very odd but the acoustics make it worse.

I dont think the once a day cabin turn down would bother me. I always feel guilty messing up the bed again for them to make it again if I take a nap.   However I have not cruised since that change. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

We sailed Encore January, 2020 and our experience was better than yours.

Ship was full but service and entertainment was solid.

I will say that I had a better experience on Escape in 2018 and Joy in 2022.

We sailed Joy 6/26/22 so it was pretty full and crew did an excellent job.

We enjoyed it so much that we're going on Joy again in July.

Entertainment on Joy was the best of the 3 for us.

We missed COM and dueling pianos but it was still fun and so much live music.

Hopefully, they are still doing a good job when we sail this summer.

Loved both my Joy cruises in 2022! And my Breakaway one.  I’ve never had a bad cruise just ones that aren’t as good as others. 

10 hours ago, eyoreblu said:

Would you be able to give me information on the private catamaran on St. Thomas, and also how do you get to Soggy Dollar from Tortola? Can you book off ship or do you need an excursion? Thanks in advance.

It is Sail With Liberty and Justice.   Stthomassailing dot com.   Amazing couple!  A highlight of the trip for sure.  
We did the Escape to JVD through NCL since we arrived so early and left early too.  The catamaran wasn’t the same as the one we were on years ago.  This one was bigger and no sails or nets to lay on.  (Took such an awesome nap on those after first trip to Soggy)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I dont think the once a day cabin turn down would bother me. I always feel guilty messing up the bed again for them to make it again if I take a nap.   However I have not cruised since that change. 

We were on the Epic a few weeks ago and while I'm ok with the once a day service the room cleaning takes a lot longer due to one steward doing all the rooms. We got back one day at 4PM from an excursion and our room still wasn't cleaned.

If they would have kept the original 2 stewards doing rooms just in the AM it probably wouldn't be so bad.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

It is Sail With Liberty and Justice.   Stthomassailing dot com.   Amazing couple!  A highlight of the trip for sure.  
We did the Escape to JVD through NCL since we arrived so early and left early too.  The catamaran wasn’t the same as the one we were on years ago.  This one was bigger and no sails or nets to lay on.  (Took such an awesome nap on those after first trip to Soggy)

Escape to JVD was one of my favorite excursions!

Loved White Sand!

We parked ourselves in front of Hendo's (just to the right of Soggy Dollar) as they had nicer chairs and umbrellas.

We had a beautiful morning and I believe I knocked down 7 painkillers before boarding the boat to go back to Encore. I then had several rum punch's before meeting my aunt and uncle in the OL and having a couple of beers. Needless to say I was feeling no pain (pun intended lmao), grabbed a cigar and headed to the humidor to smoke and sober up. A very good day, indeed!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for this review. We're sailing the Encore again at the end of March and this helps temper our expectations. We've been sailing NCL since 2007 (+ our honeymoon on the Majesty in 2008 🙂 ) and have definitely witnessed this same culture shift. We were on the Encore for an Alaskan cruise in July 2022 while it was still at reduced capacity (about 70%) and had a similar experience with staff. They seemed overworked and still very COVID-cautious and standoffish (which was understandable as COVID was still rapidly spreading onboard). Lots of the main shows were cancelled and the rumor was it was due to performer union disputes. Towards the end of the cruise, they kept prompting us to nominate our cruise superstars, but honestly, even our steward wasn't super friendly the two times we saw him. I know even my own workplace hasn't returned to 100% post-pandemic, so I'm hoping over time things go back to normal and we don't have to break up as well. Freestyle is the way to cruise!

• Like 2

Great review and I do hope NCL higher ups do get feedback from these forums like I’ve heard they do. So many reports from the new policies that are not working out very well, like not having rooms ready until late afternoon of embarkation day, slow service due to staffing issues and the long waits during the return to in person muster drills. I hope some of it will resolve, I’m sure that some like the muster drill is likely due to new crew not being familiar with it, but partly people taking their sweet time to show up. We showed up at 3:30 and waited for 45 minutes before the actual drill started. That’s too long, most people lost interest in actually paying attention, that’s if you could hear anything at all. The noise level was so loud in Osheeans where we were packed in like sardines.

I get the same feeling as the OP when I go to Disney World vs 10-20 years ago, so many changes that are not good and at a price that is way higher than inflation alone would suggest. When you could just decide that day which park you wanted to go to and not have to have your nose in your phone all day to get on a ride.
 Of course I can vote with my wallet and I know I will not be missed, as there are thousands of folks willing to go who don’t know how much easier and pleasant not to mention cheaper it once was. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rxlowry said:

This is our fourth cruise since restart but first after lots of changes (cutbacks) and I was a bit anxious about how the cruise would be.  My history with NCL goes back to 2007 so I have been through changes that I haven't liked but was able to shrug off.  I posted the first day on my blog last night with more day to day details and photos (alpacamybagsblog) but I wanted to address the bigger picture.  My LIVE review fell apart because I thought Cruise Critic was a free site but only the first page loads for free.  Not sure what you can get out of just that page!

Embarkation/Muster Drill

Embarkation was super quick and because of status we were on before group one.  The Muster Drill is back and I longer than ever.  From the call to report until ending it was 53 minutes.  Our station was in the theater and the assistant cruise director was really trying hard to make jokes and engage to the point of being annoying.  I do not really mind it going back to in person as I have done tons of those but I think it needs to be streamlined to about 30 minutes.  

Once a day service

I was not to happy about this change especially with paying higher service charges.  I enjoy going back to my cabin in the afternoon to rest before changing for dinner most days.  Our cabin was always done very early but we also were out of our cabin around 6-7am every day.  I am pretty sure we were the first one done each day.  Friends on board with us were not as lucky, returning to the cabin at four and finding it still not made.  It seems much worse for the stewards now and talking to two in the hall, they just do not seem happy with the change.  

No coffee/continental room service included

I did miss this but my husband stepped up and went to get us coffee some of the mornings or we went together.  It was just a nice touch to have this delivered some mornings.  I know it is cheaper to get the three hot items available but I have no interest in those.  

Food

This is a very subjective topic but I will give my opinions on the various places we tried.

The Local

It was very busy this cruise and you felt it here.  Service was slower than on the Breakaway in October and a few times items were wrong or missed.  The breakfast is great and I think it is the best spot on the ship for this meal as you get your food very hot.  Sometimes, they forgot bacon or toast but did bring it when asked.  We ate with friends and one did not get soup, another never got her dessert but the food was decent.  The wings are still just as bad as November though.  No dinner specials offered.

Main Dining

We had one lunch and one dinner.  Lunch was very nice.  The service was not too slow and we loved the scallop appetizer.  I also enjoyed the Monte Cristo that took me back to my college days eating at Bennigan's.  Dinner was the second night which I personally feel is the best menu.  It is the menu with Pacific Hake and Shrimp with vodka sauce.  It was good but we did skip dessert since we wanted to see the show.

Buffet

We had breakfast,lunch and two dinners here.   It seemed as if they have reduced the offerings in our opinion.  The salad bar was smaller than the Joy and Breakaway.  The Indian food was stellar as always.  I noticed no stir fry station at dinner or crepes (although I think it is because they are at Coco's for a charge).  The theme nights were:  Prime Rib, Steak&Shrimp, Country&Western, Bahamian/Caribbean, Ribs, Oriental and Grill Extravaganza.  I found the themes to be pretty similar with exception of Oriental and Caribbean.  

Los Lobos

This was our first time dining here and we both really liked it.  We ate outside and the service was very good.  The shrimp dish might be the best one I've had on NCL as far as taste and quality of shrimp.  

Onda

This was a a knockout for us!  We had a fabulous meal.  My salad was delicious and super fresh.  My husband had the short rib ravioli and loved it.  But the superstar was our steaks.  They blew Le Bistro out of the water.  So flavorful and cooked a perfect medium rare.  The desserts were ok (butterscotch budino a tad bland) and good (panacotta).  We enjoyed it so much that we returned the last night and paid ala carte.  We both had the salad while I had the ravioli and he had the lobster pasta.  The only downside is the noise level might be a bit high for some.

Le Bistro

We had steaks at Onda so we skipped our old favorite with the new upcharge.  I missed the salmon and crab salad so I went back to escargot for my app and Dover Sole for my dinner.  They were both good but the sole wasn't too special.  My husband tried the coq au vin and loved it!  I thought it was very good as well.  Desserts for us both were the ile flottante which is our new favorite there.  

Bar Service

The bars were very busy.  We noticed officers pitching in and making drinks when really busy.  It was noticeable how understaffed they were as we had longer waits than previous sailings.  The best service was always at the Sustainable Bar but the limited menu helps that situation.  

Entertainment

I think due to Kinky Boots being cut, they kept the amount of live music offered the same.  The quality of music was not the best.  The latin duo was good but after a few salsa, merengues and bachatas, I am ready to dance to other styles.  The atrium had no dancing as the band took up the enitire floor so that was a bummer.  We skipped the Beatles tribute since we saw that on the Joy.  The pianists were good.  The party band sounded good the first night but later sounded as if they blew out their voice.  The comedians were just ok.  The magician was good but should not bill himself as a comedy magician.  Choir of Man was the big ticket show and we weren't fans.  The sound on some mics was off and we would have liked a bit more story.  

We did do the Bamboozled escape table game.  It was fun and we were doing great until we opened the box for last puzzle.  We tried so many phone numbers only to find out we had two red cards instead of a red and a purple to make the phone number.  We let the host know it was prepared inccorrectly but he didn't seem like he even understood the problem.  Hopefully, they fix for the next team.  

We also tried the escape room at Galaxy Pavillion.  This I would recommend as it has some neat technology and puzzles.  We escaped with a group of four we joined with plenty of time to spare!  

Other observations

Ports were fine.  We missed GSC due to 10 knot winds but we planned to stay on ship anyway but now so did everyone.  Most activities added were the paid type like Bingo and Deal or No Deal.  In St. Thomas, we did an amazing private catamaran to St. John.   Tortola was very early but I will go to the Soggy Dollar anytime!

Pool deck super crowded.  Most chairs were not loungers and I couldn't imagine sitting in one all day.  The Waterfront was packed the second half as well with people sun bathing and eating.  

Observation Lounge was busy with nappers on sea days.  As Sid took photos of bare feet on furniture, I did read that NCL wants socks, not shoes or bare feet.  This was on the first page of freestyle daily on last day not that anyone read this.  Lots of bare feet seen and I am sure were also under all the towels people used as blankets.

I saw more glasses in spots such as bathrooms, staircase and elevator floors on this cruise.  Not as much as on Carnival last year but more than ever on NCL.  

No sanitizer in front of one dining room and my group for this cruise on that other site has many complaining of "food poisoning" which is probably noro.  Three days back the covid posts have started too which is no surprise as the coughing was definitely ramped up by the end of voyage.  

This is the first cruise on NCL that I did not have one name (usually it is multiple) to write about in post cruise survey.  Most were pleasant but it was no where the level it was previously.  They truly seem so busy and some unhappy.  I really missed engaging with crew as that is one of the best parts of cruising.  It just felt very hurried.  I do not blame the crew at all since they are having to do more work.  

Well said.

We already broke up with Disney, so hope we will not be breaking up after our next sailing in a few weeks.  The Epic latest reviews have me concerned.   A lot of food and entertainment cutbacks are being reported.

We will be getting two daily cabin service because we will be in the Haven; however, we always do not book the Haven and honestly, we do enjoy having our cabin serviced twice a day.  We have four cruises booked after this one, so we will see how we feel after we get back.   We have no problem going back to all inclusives.

We were on the Joy twice last year too and I believe the same February sailing.  Even though the weather was not perfect, it was a wonderful sailing.  What a difference a year makes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Great review and I do hope NCL higher ups do get feedback from these forums like I’ve heard they do. So many reports from the new policies that are not working out very well, like not having rooms ready until late afternoon of embarkation day, 

I get the same feeling as the OP when I go to Disney World vs 10-20 years ago, so many changes

I will add that the luggage took the longest to arrive as I am typically an always unpacked before muster.  It’s my own challenge.  I didn’t unpack until after halftime of the Super Bowl when I went back to see if suitcases arrived.  

We had annual passes when my daughter was little (16 or so years ago).   I’d be soooo lost in the process. there now.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rxlowry said:

I will add that the luggage took the longest to arrive as I am typically an always unpacked before muster.  It’s my own challenge.  I didn’t unpack until after halftime of the Super Bowl when I went back to see if suitcases arrived.  

We had annual passes when my daughter was little (16 or so years ago).   I’d be soooo lost in the process. there now.  

Same here with regards to unpacking before the muster drill. It’s like the last embarkation day “chore” before I can feel officially on vacation!

• Like 1