Alaskan Cruise...tights or nylons?

balcony4u

In my opinion, it really depends on the particular ship. I sailed to Alaska last summer and several folks (including me) found it quite chilly on board and I spoke with multiple people in management about it. 

As far as tights or nylons? Nope, not for me. I wear slacks in the evenings and for Alaska, jeans and/or joggers during the day.

Lois, I find all ships chilly inside, wherever we sail, especially with the new enhanced air purifier systems.  I pretty much plan to wear garments with sleeves (pref. long) all evening, every evening, whether I'm in the Carib or Alaska.  I imagine part of that is that we don't have any AC at home, so I feel it when I'm in a place that does.

31 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Lois, I find all ships chilly inside, wherever we sail, especially with the new enhanced air purifier systems.  I pretty much plan to wear garments with sleeves (pref. long) all evening, every evening, whether I'm in the Carib or Alaska.  I imagine part of that is that we don't have any AC at home, so I feel it when I'm in a place that does.

Hi, normally I am ok on board but to be honest, that specific cruise? What if I told you the HD was in a sweater (It looked like it was hand made and in the shape of a blazer) but he was wearing it quite often.

Evenings? I dress the same while in Alaska or the Caribbean as well. Usually a long sleeved top or 3/4 sleeve with slacks and I ALWAYS pack a black cardigan.  

As for home? I live in the south and the a/c is part of my daily life.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:42 AM, smokeybandit said:

You can be casual on any cruise these days.

Not strictly true, Cunard cruises still maintain formal and smart attire dress codes even in Alaska. (to save schlepping evening gowns on airlines black palazzo pants and nice top are adequate and acceptable for formal nights)

I agree that the majority of other lines in Alaska have gone down the allowing more casual dress route. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Following -

This might be a silly point- but - tights vs. nylons - neither take up much room - why not bring both and see which you need?  

We're heading to Alaska in early May - thanks all for the advice on dinner attire.  I guess I'll be good with slacks and tops.  

Honestly, it depends on the expected weather. We have sailed to Alaska twice (once in early September, once in June) and I absolutely wore opaque tights with dresses on both of those cruises. I’m not a cold person but the weather was wet and chilly, especially in the evening. 

If your bigger concern is formality of dress then opaque tights work well with more casual skirts and dresses.