Alaskan Cruise...tights or nylons?

balcony4u

18 minutes ago, balcony4u said:

Probably a very silly question, but should I pack nylons or warmer tights for the main dinning?

We were on the Alaska cruise last week of Sep. Ship was very warm every day and evening. I was somewhat surprised during the day as to how many men were wearing shorts. I had packed several pairs of shorts as we were going on the TP to Hawaii the following week, I wore shorts most days on the ship. 

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I wouldn't pack any differently for dining on an Alaskan cruise than any other cruise.

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

Alaska cruises tend to be rather casual (IMO). We just wore jeans and sweatshirts several nights. I didn't even bring any dresses. 

This is exactly what I was going to say. 

• Like 1

When we did our AK cruise, I packed my usual dresses and such - but not sundresses - for evening. I was fine, except that I sometimes wanted to step out onto Promenade Deck, at which time I would have preferred a long-sleeve outfit.  Nowadays I almost always wear sleeved garments in the evening on all my cruises, as I feel the AC everywhere on the ship.

We took an Alaska cruise in June of 2022 and also found that the Dining Room was fine temp wise.

For the first time on any cruise, I packed leggings that were lined for during the day and a few nice looking down vests for outings.  The vests came in handy with zipper pockets during the day for my room card, etc.    I also always wear a dress to dinner no matter where we are cruising, just makes it feel more special while dining in the main dining room.  An Alaska cruise is more casual during the day than other cruises, just be comfortable.

• Like 3

to be specific with the question, I'm assuming nylons is what I call stockings and tights are for warmth and more opaque?  I sailed Radiance last May and I had bare legs with my casual dresses for the MDR and I didn't feel the need for more.  We had unseasonably beautiful weather, but the inside was completely normal.  I would go for the nylons if you want to present that sleek look.  

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

to be specific with the question, I'm assuming nylons is what I call stockings and tights are for warmth and more opaque?  I sailed Radiance last May and I had bare legs with my casual dresses for the MDR and I didn't feel the need for more.  We had unseasonably beautiful weather, but the inside was completely normal.  I would go for the nylons if you want to present that sleek look.  

Yup, you got it!

The warmer tights will be returned!

Thanks all!

Ummm.... a little off-topic, but I've cruised in and out of VERY cold places recently.  Baltimore and Cape Liberty with the lowest with wind chill factor -1.

I went on Amazon and got myself a pair of the cheapest sports leggings I could find, and wore them under my regular pants.  Don't know if they were a lifesaver, but being a CA girl, I thought they were!!

Side story:

I was meeting up with Merion Mom to get on one of these cruise ships.  I had a long puffer coat on, knit headband, gloves, and the leggings with pants over them.  She got out of her car and started laughing at me!!!  She yelled from the parking lot, "Look at me, I'm wearing a SWEATSHIRT!"  I said, "Look at me, I'm from CALIFORNIA!!".

Edited by pcur
  • Haha 4

On 2/22/2023 at 8:11 PM, balcony4u said:

Thanks everyone! This helps so much!

I got the outside packing down, it was the interior of the ship. I know they heat it, but I was not sure if it was a little chilly. Again, thanks for clearing it up for me!

So,,, watch the temperatures for "outside". During the summer months, there are a lot of days that we are in shorts on shore excursions in Alaska. Yeah,,, the first thing in the morning can be a bit chilly, but there are a lot of people dragging ski jackets down the street when the temps are in the high 60's and 70's. We can deal with a little coolness in the mornings,,, if we don't have to drag around a lot of unnecessary clothes. Alaska during the summer is more rain than cold. 

• Like 1

Looking at my photos from when I did my Alaska cruise, I appear to have been bare-legged in my dresses at night for dinner, just like I would be anywhere else. I don't think I've worn either tights or nylons in years. I didn't hang out up on deck in my dress - it was just for dinner/shows inside where it felt fine to me. If we decided to go up on deck after dinner, I changed into sweats.

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, watch the temperatures for "outside". During the summer months, there are a lot of days that we are in shorts on shore excursions in Alaska. Yeah,,, the first thing in the morning can be a bit chilly, but there are a lot of people dragging ski jackets down the street when the temps are in the high 60's and 70's. We can deal with a little coolness in the mornings,,, if we don't have to drag around a lot of unnecessary clothes. Alaska during the summer is more rain than cold. 

Or, like our AK cruise, it can be very cold the entire time. We wore heavy pants, turtleneck, sweater, and down jacket all day every day. We tried once to sit on our balcony; it was miserable. The only time we were comfortable was on sunny days when we could spend the whole day on the upper deck, watching the scenery.  We were glad we had all the layers we did.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:44 PM, balcony4u said:

Probably a very silly question, but should I pack nylons or warmer tights for the main dinning?

Show my a picture of you in both of them and then I can make an educated choice?

Thanks.

Edited by Luke gs Daddy

When we were in Endicott Arm in August, temperatures were in the mid-50's.  At home that's warm enough for just a sweatshirt.  What I didn't take into account was the wind coming from all 5 directions, north, south, east, west, and straight down.  I raced back to the cabin for my jacket, hat, and gloves.😀

• Like 1