Fly in night before??? Really?

First time cruiser here... these boards are awesome! The reviews get me soooo psyched for our first cruise!!! We are soo excited to have booked our cruise in November out of Galveston. We live in Arizona and it's only a two hour flight. Do you really think we need to fly out the day before? Leaving three kids at home, so babysitting is hard to come by.

I appreciate any input!

Just remember if you fly in the night or day before and then get up the morning of the cruise and the only thing you have to do is eat breakfast and get to the ship . NO STRESS

We always go the day before!!! Never mind being able to tour the port you are leaving from

I too decided when I booked my cruise (last July) to fly down the day of. It's about a 2 hour flight (direct) from Virginia & we would get there before noon. I just recently looked. My flight had been changed. They apparently discontinued one of the direct flights & now I was scheduled for a 7 hour flight through Texas, & wouldn't be arriiving until after 3:00. That was a little too close for comfort. I will say that American Airlines was wonderful working with me & I've ended up changing my flight to the day before. I was trying to avoid that because I didn't want to pull my son from school. However, at least now if they bump me to a different flight, I will still make the cruise. For my peace of mind, the night before is definitely worth it.

Babysitting is a tough issue. Only you can decide. You've read all the reasons, no doubt by now.

I've done it both ways and my choice is to fly in day before. It's WAY too much stress the other way ... and a big piece of that is that I'm a worrier by nature. I'm so incredibly worried about the possibility of missing the ship that I didn't begin to relax until I got to the pool deck (just making it to the pier wasn't enough). On the other hand, the other way, I can feel the vacation mode-relaxation thing begin as soon as the plane starts to taxi away from the gate in Cleveland.

Hi,

I know that there are many people who like to fly in the day before their cruise either to make sure that they don't miss the ship or so that they can be rested when they start their cruise. It really depends on your situation, including what time the ship leaves port and how early of a flight you can get. We've taken 7 cruises and only flew in a day early for one of the trips and (knock on wood) we haven't missed the ship yet. We always take out trip insurance just in case. What time does your ship leave port and can you get an early flight if you travel the same day as the cruise so that there is plenty of time in case of flight delays? Good luck.

I didn't fly the night before for my first cruise (wedding day, we couldn't :D ) and we made it with plenty of time.

The 2nd time, didn't feel the need to fly in the day before and I can tell you, EVERYONE was at each other's throats by the time we got on board. We went with family and no one was happy the first few hours. We made it in time, but it was so stressful flying, getting the luggage, the shuttle, not eating all day, etc.

From then on, we flew in the day before. Wake up in the morning, grab some breakfast and head to the pier. Much better!

But like you said, that's just one more day away from your kids. :(

Well, it's a gamble. Chances are good, with a two hour flight, that it will all go well. But you never know. We've been on 5 cruises (leave tomorrow for the 6th) and we had no problems for 4 of them. But last year we missed the boat because out airplane needed a new nose cone (and American wouldn't tell us what was really going on, so didn't book us on another flight for 9 hours, and it was too late then). We *should* have had plenty of time. But you just never know. Are you willing to take the gamble? Flying down the day before really gives you an extra day of vacation and some peace of mind. That said, we're not flying down a day early this time either. But that has more to do with my husband's work schedule and vacation time. I'm sure it'll be just fine. But if you can afford it, flying down the day before is preferable.

It's not just weather you have to worry about, and a T-Storm can delay you just like snow. The airlines right now are continually changing flights to make sure they fly full. There's also maintenance delays. I've even had a flight delayed for two hours because they didn't have a crew in place and had to fly one in. I missed a connector flight on that one.

Since we're retired we now go in two or three days early but would never go in less than one. I don't mind being late coming home but I sure don't want to be late to a cruise.

Chances are since you are flying out of Arizonia,to Tex.That you wont have to deal with weather delays...I don't know if SW operates out of your state (or Airport) But if they do,they offer a lot of flights starting at about 630 AM.They fly into Hobby,which is closer than the big airport..

You could actually get here a litle too early..As normal boarding on Rhapsody (or Splendour ?? ) is about 11:30....

Its a small risk in your case,but a risk none the less..

We typically fly in the day before. We've never had any problems until latest cruise in December, on the Zuiderdam. We flew in the day before and it is a good thing we did because our luggage did not follow. By the time we got it, had it been the day of, we would have been cruising without luggage.

I enjoyed the Zuiderdam so much I came home and booked the Oosterdam, leaving this month. Because of finances I am flying in the DAY OF to San Diego, and hoping and praying I have no luggage problems. I am going to take a small carry on piece of luggage. I am due to arrive in San Diego before 9am, so "should" have no problems. And, there are about 3 flights after mine where my luggage could arrive before the ship sails. This is the LAST TIME I am going to sail in the DAY OF, it is not worth the stress. I've been worried about it, and I haven't even left yet, lol. In the meantime airfare has gone UP, and it would cost $100 on top of that to change, throw in the hotel, and it is no longer an option.

Marie

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. SW does fly several times in the morning to Hobby, Houston airport (looking at their website, but

Flights for November aren't even up yet with SW airlines!

I still have a while to decide. Reading over your responses and looking over prior posts, It's better to be safe than sorry! Right????

Thanks again experts! You guys are awesome!

Picture it this way. You have a flight and with the time of arrival, you would get in about 5 hours before the ship sails. Opps there is a weather delay or mechanical delay. Now you would really be pushing to make to the ship. Not to mention if you bagagge doesn't make it to the airport. If you go the day before, then you can go on the next flight or the next flight and still make it to the ship. Also most delayed baggage is usually delivered by the next day.

~JS

Not sure if it was yesterday or Tuesday. The entire northeast sector was shut down for 2hours because of a computer error. No weather delays or anything just a computer glitch. The computer center is actually about 4 miles from my house so there was a lot of publicity about it. I always fly in the day before

We live in Arizona and it's only a two hour flight. Do you really think we need to fly out the day before?

Glad to see another Arizona cruiser in here. Just to let you know there is a site that us Arizona cruisers go to. If you want the web address I can email it to you. CC won't let me post it here.

Our last cruise on the Brilliance was the first time we arrived a day early. On all our other cruises we flew the same day. Like stated above, there are many hassles, problems, delays, etc, on travel day. You then have to wait in another line to board. You are completely wore out by the time you find your stateroom.

This time, we flew in to Miami a day early and stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside. It was another added day to our vacation, with all that Bayside has to offer, including dinner and drinks that night.

On cruise morning, we awoke to see all the ships, from our hotel window, docked at Dodge Island. What a sight! A nice breakfast in the hotel, then a short walk to Walgreen's for a few last minute items. Gotta cab from the hotel to the pier around 11 a.m. (10 minutes and maybe $20 with tip) and we were quickly on board and the first one's to be in the pool!

Hey, a day early is not a bad idea. Try it next time.

Another thing to consider is that the people that board early can make spa reservations, alternate dining reservations and confirm their dining room seating........If you are delayed and board late you will not be able to do any of that. You also get a chance to explore the ship at a nice leisurely pace.

If you can, I would fly in the night before. Too many things COULD go wrong.

Hi there.

I've done both--flown in the day of and the day before. We are 3 hours from FLL, so our flight isn't much longer than yours. We've had very little trouble with weather delays, although because of a blizzard one year, we ended up flying in the day of instead of the day before. On our last cruise, because of the holidays, we flew to FLL the day of our cruise. Our luggage, however, went to Las Vegas. :rolleyes: We didn't get it back for over a week. If we had arrived a day early, we could have shopped for a few things in FLL instead of having to buy stuff on the ship or wait until our stop in Nassau. If at all possible, I will fly in a day before from now on. Good luck and enjoy a kid-free vacation!

Forget weather delays as happened to us on this last cruise or mechanical problems as happened another time when we never did see the plane, there are scores of other things tha can happen to make you miss your cruise. And having trip insurance is nice but it won't make you feel any better if you miss your vacation. We had a situation where the flight attendent got sick and we had to wait for another one to fly in to take her place. we have friends whose flight was cancelled altogether and we know of someone who made it on time but his luggage didn't.

Even if nothing goes wrong, you have the preparation and getting to the airport ahead of time, the time at the airport and getting to the ship so that you are tired by the time you get there and still have to stand in line to embark.

Plus an extra vacation day is a good thing. :)

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi to brn2crz. I think that is you. We sailed The Mariner in October and met. Hope all is well with you and family. We are off on The Radiance this Sunday.

I would strongly suggest going in a day early. All the reasons given are so true. I also find that if you fly in the same day you are so wiped that first night. Last year we planned to fly in 2 days early before our Disney cruise and I got a call at 3 a.m. to say our 7 a.m. flight was cancelled. Thank goodness I was able to get a flight out of another airport at 5 o' clock that day. However we didn't get to our hotel until 3 a.m. due to delays. You just never know what can happen. Also I just love arriving at the ship around noon and getting on that ship as early as I can.

Good luck and you will love The Rhapsody if you sail her she is great!

Vanessa

Even the day before can have problems. We were to meet our family the night before a 10day Panama Canal Cruise last year durring spring break. We thought the night before would be no problem, man were we wrong. We go to the airport in Denver at 5:30pm for a 7:00 flight (we toook my sister and husband to the airport 12 hours earlier). When we checked in the computer told us our flight was 2 hours delayed and that we would miss our connection in Atlanta. As it turns out, because of spring break there were no other flights available into Florida (yes the state of FLORIDA) on any other carrier. The only option was to rent a car from Atlanta and drive 12 hours to Ft. Lauderdale. When we got to Atlanta, our flight was an hour delayed so we ran 3 terminals to get to the gate. I will never forget seeing my lovely wife and her bright orange jump suit weaving in out of aiport traffic. LOL. We got to the gate right as they were shutting the door. Got in to Ft. Lauderdale about 2:00am. Man was that stressfull!!! Luggage made a morning flight!

We learned our lesson. Not only should you go the day before but you should leave early in the day. Get to the city and enjoy another day of vacation. By the way.... we leave for the Jewel of the Seas in 15 days 8 hours. 19 mins and 50 sec... Not counting.... Leaving 24 hours in advance!

Good luck with your decision, sorry for the long reply!

BB

Since the pier in Galveston is 35-40 MILES from Hobby (HOU) airport and 75 MILES from Bush (IAH), you might want to start looking for a hotel/motel in Galveston now, in case you decide to arrive a day early--which most posters have advised. The best rooms can go quickly. If you research the web (try http://www.mobissimo.com), but reserve through the hotel/motel's company site (or phone/fax), you probably won't have to pre-pay. If you decide to cancel/change a reservation, it's easier if no money has been spent. Expedia, et al. always seem to want full pre-payment for their best deals.

Also, since it's 8 MONTHS 'til your cruise, you don't want to be worrying the whole time about getting on the boat.

Have a great time, go early!

Also, if you find a hotel on one of the travel sites, try the hotel chain directly. Sometimes it's cheaper, but when you book directly with the hotel, you avoid the "no cancel" rule.

I like the Southwest Airline idea if you go the day of the cruise. Take the earliest, and then they will have later ones, too.

My TA sometimes books us on red-eyes, because that way we've got the whole next day to get there. She says with 8 - 10 hours you can DRIVE to the port in an emergency if you aren't too far away. Also, the kids will be in bed by the time you leave.

Archived