Removing "open bar" after booking?

craig01020

I did this on a recent NCL cruise as it wasn't cost effective with my wife not drinking. I do have a question though. If I want to restore it to my FAS perks on a currently booked cruise that we again removed it from, will I be charged the cost of a beverage package or only the cost of the gratuities?

good post, I was wondering the same thing.   We just booked a 7 day on Joy for 2 of us and they added $170x2 for gratuities.  My wife does not drink alcohol, and I do only moderately.   Trying to do the math to see if it makes sense for us with her ordering only non alcohol drinks.   Does anyone know if you can cancel for 1 person and not the other?   I can understand why the cruiseline may not want to do that as one person could just get drinks for their partner - but that is not my intent.    

18 minutes ago, CCJack said:

good post, I was wondering the same thing.   We just booked a 7 day on Joy for 2 of us and they added $170x2 for gratuities.  My wife does not drink alcohol, and I do only moderately.   Trying to do the math to see if it makes sense for us with her ordering only non alcohol drinks.   Does anyone know if you can cancel for 1 person and not the other?   I can understand why the cruiseline may not want to do that as one person could just get drinks for their partner - but that is not my intent.    

You can not do only 1 in a room on the package. 1 consideration on the drink package, is that NCL's is ONLY for alcohol drinks. Other lines include, soft drinks, waters, coffees, etc, but NCL's is just "drinks" (beers, liquor drinks, wines, etc). That for us made a difference too, as the other lines we sail include EVERYTHING.

Before our recent cruise, I think I roughly figured I would need to drink between 3 and 4 drinks a day in order for the gratuities on the drinks to offset paying for an individual drink when I wanted it. By no means am I a teetotaler, but I also don't need to drink 3 drinks a day. It's just my personal viewpoint. I'll sail NCL again, but IMHO they have the worst beverage packages on the high seas.

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CCJack said:

We just booked a 7 day on Joy for 2 of us and they added $170x2 for gratuities.  My wife does not drink alcohol, and I do only moderately.   Trying to do the math to see if it makes sense for us with her ordering only non alcohol drinks.

Basically, if between you and your wife, you order a total of 5 or more drinks a day (non-alcoholic, stiff cocktails, frozen stuff at the pool, beer, etc), you should buy the package.

6 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Or bottled water, or specialty coffee's...

The FAS drink package does not include bottled water or specialty coffee unless upgraded to the plus package.

It does include sodas, juices, as well as virgin drinks like smoothies, etc.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, palpieha said:

The FAS drink package does not include bottled water or specialty coffee unless upgraded to the plus package.

It does include sodas, juices, as well as virgin drinks like smoothies, etc.

thank you all for the comments.  I think we will keep the package as long as it does include soda, juice and virgin drinks...   Since there was differing opinions, I looked up this link on NCL which hopefully is the latest.   It does specifically indicate juices, sodas, N/A beer, N/A wine are included.   It doesn't mention virgin drinks, but I can't imagine they would exclude virgin drinks if alcohol drinks are included, the optics would be really bad for the company to do that.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/790164-BEV_Package_Flyer_UOBP_PPBP_Update_FINAL_2_6_23_1.pdf

40 minutes ago, CCJack said:

thank you all for the comments.  I think we will keep the package as long as it does include soda, juice and virgin drinks...   Since there was differing opinions, I looked up this link on NCL which hopefully is the latest.   It does specifically indicate juices, sodas, N/A beer, N/A wine are included.   It doesn't mention virgin drinks, but I can't imagine they would exclude virgin drinks if alcohol drinks are included, the optics would be really bad for the company to do that.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/790164-BEV_Package_Flyer_UOBP_PPBP_Update_FINAL_2_6_23_1.pdf

Virgin drinks are definitely included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

They are included. Also as far as the cost, you mentioned $170 charged. Note that the part related to the alcohol package should be $152.60 per person (20% of $109/day x 7 days). The remainder would be gratuities for the specialty dining package. So you wouldn't save the whole $170 per person by removing the drinks package, you'd also have to remove the specialty dining.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, palpieha said:

They are included. Also as far as the cost, you mentioned $170 charged. Note that the part related to the alcohol package should be $152.60 per person (20% of $109/day x 7 days). The remainder would be gratuities for the specialty dining package. So you wouldn't save the whole $170 per person by removing the drinks package, you'd also have to remove the specialty dining.

Thanks, that helps.  I didn't realize that.